Should Theo Fleury be in the HOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think he should be. His social media activity is likely what keeps him out though whether you think thats fair or not.

He's been eligible since like 2009 to go in.
The guy is extremely disliked by many layers of the hockey world. Really has nothing to do with his Social Media.

The Hall is full of wife beaters and scumbags; some conspiracy theorist isn't even the top 5 worse offence in that hall right now :laugh:

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
He's been eligible since like 2009 to go in.
The guy is extremely disliked by many layers of the hockey world. Really has nothing to do with his Social Media.

The Hall is full of wife beaters and scumbags; some conspiracy theorist isn't even the top 5 worse offence in that hall right now :laugh:

No doubt. I don't disagree at all. He's always been a bubble guy though and the way the world is changing his social media doesn't do him any favours. Should separate the personality with the hockey skills but we all know thats not how things work

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I don't remember a single memorable moment from his career. He wasn't a top 5 player in the league at his time. I don't see how he built the game of hockey, I don't see his time as an NHLer as a career that changed the game in any way.

I'd vote no.

You have pretty high standards for the hall.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No doubt. I don't disagree at all. He's always been a bubble guy though and the way the world is changing his social media doesn't do him any favours. Should separate the personality with the hockey skills but we all know thats not how things work

For me, personally, unless someone kills someone or does something incredibly vile (child abuse, sex-trafficking, hate crimes) the in-game play should dictate whether or not they go to the HHOF in any sport.

We're nearing dangerous territory with this stuff; soon enough guys will get their plaques taken down or disqualified from the HOF because they were borderline people that masses didn't agree with. Guys that have been dead for decades :laugh:

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I'd put him in the level as someone like Wheeler today. A couple top 10 finishes but never top 5. He was feisty despite his size which made him a bit of an underdog to root for. He got to be the face of a Canadian franchise in transition but did nothing with the team during his tenure as the 'leader'. He's borderline, probably on the right side of the border - if not for his attitude. Even his second send off with the Flames should have been a miraculous farewell with probably the biggest applause you'll ever see for a pre-season shootout goal. But his ego, as it oft liked to do, got in his way and he had to take shots at Conroy despite really neither being NHL quality (and certainly not Fleury). Now with his conspiracies and stuff there's just no reason to induct him.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
You have pretty high standards for the hall.

Yep I do. I see the Hall of Fame as a running memory for the game of hockey/ NHL. What are the moments that shaped the game and who are the people behind those moments? Crosby and Malkin had an era (plus defined the post lockout era), Bure caused thousands of kids to try to Deke like he did, Roy changed the goaltending position, Plante forever changed the look of the game when he wore a mask, "Paul Henderson has scored for Canada", etc etc.

To me the hall isn't for "x player was pretty good at hockey" but rather "this player shaped the game"

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I'd put him in the level as someone like Wheeler today. A couple top 10 finishes but never top 5. He was feisty despite his size which made him a bit of an underdog to root for. He got to be the face of a Canadian franchise in transition but did nothing with the team during his tenure as the 'leader'. He's borderline, probably on the right side of the border - if not for his attitude. Even his second send off with the Flames should have been a miraculous farewell with probably the biggest applause you'll ever see for a pre-season shootout goal. But his ego, as it oft liked to do, got in his way and he had to take shots at Conroy despite really neither being NHL quality (and certainly not Fleury). Now with his conspiracies and stuff there's just no reason to induct him.

Oh come on.

Fleury at his best is better than Wheeler.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nope.

Never a top player. Only 3x Top 10 points, only 1 post season AS team (AS-2) and didnt bring anything else to overcome that.

Cup winner
7 time all star
9th all time in short handed goals
36th all time in hat tricks
53rd all time in points per game
58th all time in goals
65th all time in points

Did all that despite being abused by his juniors coach and being 5 foot 6.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Nope. Had the talent and career to belong but the guy's currently a nutjob conspiracy theorist and not someone who should be given a bigger platform.

Yes, blah blah blah bad people with questionable characters in the past were inducted. Times have changed; get over it.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nope. Had the talent and career to belong but the guy's currently a nutjob conspiracy theorist and not someone who should be given a bigger platform.

Yes, blah blah blah bad people with questionable characters in the past were inducted. Times have changed; get over it.

So that is what todays Hockey HOF is about? A guy does not get in because you disagree with his posts on Twitter despite you believing his career was HOF worthy? His career is not what he should be judged on? People are acting like he murdered somebody. His political leanings should have nothing to do with the Hockey HOF in my opinion.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
A HOF player is supposed to be judged on: Playing ability, sportsmanship, character and contributions to his or her team or teams and to the game of hockey in general.

It is not supposed to be about if you agree with somebody politically or like his twitter.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
For me, personally, unless someone kills someone or does something incredibly vile (child abuse, sex-trafficking, hate crimes) the in-game play should dictate whether or not they go to the HHOF in any sport.

We're nearing dangerous territory with this stuff; soon enough guys will get their plaques taken down or disqualified from the HOF because they were borderline people that masses didn't agree with. Guys that have been dead for decades :laugh:

The HHOF has valued the standing of candidates outside of their play/efforts in the game since it was started. Not that I agree with it, but Fleury is certainly not the first to have his off-ice actions held as a barrier to his induction.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Av's made a huge trade to get him as a rental, and in the middle of the playoffs they scratch him for a huge game because he was out all night and showed up a mess. They lost the series and from what I understand didnt even offer him a contract to stay when they couldve really used him. I get he had hard times and deserves to be commended for rising out of it but I dont think this is a shoe in.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Yep I do. I see the Hall of Fame as a running memory for the game of hockey/ NHL. What are the moments that shaped the game and who are the people behind those moments? Crosby and Malkin had an era (plus defined the post lockout era), Bure caused thousands of kids to try to Deke like he did, Roy changed the goaltending position, Plante forever changed the look of the game when he wore a mask, "Paul Henderson has scored for Canada", etc etc.

To me the hall isn't for "x player was pretty good at hockey" but rather "this player shaped the game"

Paul Henderson is not a hall of famer.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
So that is what todays Hockey HOF is about? A guy does not get in because you disagree with his posts on Twitter despite you believing his career was HOF worthy? His career is not what he should be judged on? People are acting like he murdered somebody. His political leanings should have nothing to do with the Hockey HOF in my opinion.

I didn't mention politics. If it was just about politics, then he'd already be in since the vast majority of people in the game have similar political leanings. It's his anti-vaccine, anti-science, fringe conspiracy theory buffoonery in the midst of the GLOBAL PANDEMIC that doesn't deserve a platform since it has the potentially very real effect of costing people their lives.

That and the fact that Fleury's burned all his bridges and seems to love insulting everyone all the time. As much as people want to pretend like the HHOF is some sort of revered above-it-all ancient organization, it's literally just an old boys club full of internal politics. And if someone isn't capable of playing nice then they'll be excluded.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I didn't mention politics. If it was just about politics, then he'd already be in since the vast majority of people in the game have similar political leanings. It's his anti-vaccine, anti-science, fringe conspiracy theory buffoonery in the midst of the GLOBAL PANDEMIC that doesn't deserve a platform since it has the potentially very real effect of costing people their lives.

That and the fact that Fleury's burned all his bridges and seems to love insulting everyone all the time. As much as people want to pretend like the HHOF is some sort of revered above-it-all ancient organization, it's literally just an old boys club full of internal politics. And if someone isn't capable of playing nice then they'll be excluded.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I just think he is getting a raw deal. I'm vaccinated. So are all of my family but I would never say a guy who has issues with the vaccine or pandemic should be kept of of the HOF. Lets be honest. None of us know for sure what the long term consequences of this vaccine are in reality. I took it knowing that I had no idea what was in it or how it would effect me long term. I will not bash anyone that has a a different opinion for or against it. People say they are for free speech until someone says something they disagree with. Theo is a flawed person. He had drug issues. He had demons from being assaulted. I understand all that but where do we draw the line? Do we start asking for cup rings back if a guy is not politically correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad