Speculation: Should the leafs take a run at Rick Nash?

Nash for 1 year?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
Why would anyone say no to this. Who cares, we have no cap issues this year. Why would you ever turn down more depth let alone a guy who is still easily a top 6 winger when healthy.

To me he was scary every time he touched the puck in the Boston series and at that point he was playing injured. Still scores at a great rate and is one of the better defensive wingers in the game.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why would anyone say no to this. Who cares, we have no cap issues this year. Why would you ever turn down more depth let alone a guy who is still easily a top 6 winger when healthy.

To me he was scary every time he touched the puck in the Boston series and at that point he was playing injured. Still scores at a great rate and is one of the better defensive wingers in the game.
What if a better option were to present itself and the cap space is tied up by a guy who may not be able to play every night?
Just because you have money, doesn't mean you need to spend it.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
What if a better option were to present itself and the cap space is tied up by a guy who may not be able to play every night?
Fair point but I’m sure you could move 2~million dollars of nash at the deadline. That’s also a big ‘what if’. You’re getting a player just for cash and essentially just gaining an asset, it’s not like he’s unmoveable.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Fair point but I’m sure you could move 2~million dollars of nash at the deadline. That’s also a big ‘what if’. You’re getting a player just for cash and essentially just gaining an asset, it’s not like he’s unmoveable.
I would assume a player of his stature would come with a NMC.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
No strong feeling either way. As Nash has yet to commit to playing or not playing this season, and the Leafs have options to potentially fill that LW spot, I'd leave it to evaluation as the season progresses.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Why would anyone say no to this. Who cares, we have no cap issues this year.

Because 1) it takes away all their flexibility at the trade deadline - when they could actually bring in a good player for the cup run and 2) it creates cap problems next year. If performances bonuses from this year are forced to go against the cap next year - when things will really, really matter, for the sake of signing a completely unnecessary player, the whole management team should be fired.

Reactions: kb

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Rick Nash had a chance to be a Leaf when he was still in his prime years. He went elsewhere back then!

The Toronto Maple Leafs are no longer a country club stop for aging NHL hockey players.

Play the kids as they are our future.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Rick Nash had a chance to be a Leaf when he was still in his prime years. He went elsewhere back then!

The Toronto Maple Leafs are no longer a country club stop for aging NHL hockey players.

Play the kids as they are our future.
This. There's that saying.. "a day late and a dollar short".

I do feel Nash is done and may as well retire -- is this not what he's contemplating and didn't sign with any club July 1st?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Forgot to mention on my post that I would only say yes if Nash is sign for like 3mil for the season. His chance to chase the Cup.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Nylander for Trouba. Nash 1 year @ 5mil.

Nash-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Hyman
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown

Rielly-Trouba
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

that team could win the cup

Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson -Matthews-Nash
Hyman-Kadri-Brown
Kapanen-Lindholm-Leivo

but i'm not really in love with the idea of Rick Nash

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Problem really is that if say the guys only at a 75% capacity due to health reasons, you’re locking up a roster spot and likely multi million dollars of cap space in a player that can’t go all out.

Might be more beneficial long-term in the season to have a little extra breathing space in terms of In case they need to make any moves

Reactions: therealkoho

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
let Leivo have some time in the scoring role that Nash would occupy, if he does well in it we might have a situation that we can leverage a really efficient deal for a 3-4 year window, might get similar performance to current Nash for a fraction of the price without the likely decline in play over that time period

and if he doesn't do well, we can always go get a Nash. Now is the time that good players will want to come to Toronto for their swansong because we're finally really good

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
if he takes a 1 year deal he would look great on the 3rd or 4th line, and easily fill in a 1-2 line if injuries hit

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Id have some interest in putting him in a depth role but obviously he would have to be paid accordingly. 1 year, 1 mil at best. No way I'd let signing him come ahead of making sure we are set for this year's bonuses.

But this is basically only if he suddenly were decided he's playing and also simultaneously said he's in proper shape to join the team. Not as interested in adding him after we already get going. So that'd kill this idea from my view as I doubt he's decided or trained.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Nash was my favourite player for a couple years. When I'd start a franchise in the video games I'd always trade for nash first. Guy was a beast!

Having said that, I don't think we need him. He's not nearly the player he used to be and he's not even that old.

Reactions: Mork

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Nope.

He's not what he once was and what he brings to the table secondarily is better to be given in ice time to better suited players who are bringing the enthusiasm of a Calder Cup win with them.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
If its a 1 year deal there is absolutely zero negatives to this.

It would load up arguably the most loaded offence in the NHL already.

Who knows, Rick Nash comes to end his career to play in Canada for the first time, and it elevates his game..he goes on to win the cup with a guy like Marleau and company, two guys who the cup has eluded them for their entire careers. Wouldn't be surprising.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

100% agree with this. Save the money for when/if a better option presents itself.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
People who say we have cap room really need to take a few minutes (or hours, if need be) to examine the consequences for next year if they use up the cap space and have to use LTIR cap relief. The team needs to keep some cap flexibility to cover for injuries and/or deadline deals. No to Nash unless it is very cheap (1 million) or thereabouts.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He should just take a home town I want to win deal and come out, 1 year 1 million sounds great to me ;)

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I heard that it would likely happen but we'll see. I'd do it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad