Speculation: Should the leafs take a run at Rick Nash?

Nash for 1 year?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Leafs are already stacked up front, but with the cap space to give nash a deal should they?

1 year 5 mil should get it done.

20g/16a/36pts in 66 game average over the past 3 seasons.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Nash-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Lindholm-Kapanen
*Ennis/Leivo

I don't think any team is touching that top 9. Tampa is close but they are top 6 heavy

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Nash - - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Hyman - - - Kadri - - - Kapanen
Johnsson - Lindholm - - Brown

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think he could be a real money puck signing for the Tavares-Marner line. He looked dangerous in the playoffs but didn't get any actual production out of it. I think with the frequency that he drives the net, he could look a lot better with an elite garbageman like Tavares coming in to clean up those rebounds.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
We could use his defensive game I think on a 1 year deal it's worth a shot. Makes us stupid deep and limits his minutes playing with Kadri on the 3rd line.

Reactions: shortfuze

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Nash is better than wasted cap space.

I'm happy if we sign anyone to a 1 year contract.

The only benefit to going into the season way under the cap is that we'll bank up some cap space for a big trade deadline acquisition. But with Horton's contract, we would need to be quite a bit below the cap to bank up any room. So I think our options are to play $8 million + below the cap to start the year so we can afford a piece at the deadline... OR ... we spend the to cap from the beginning and hope we can still make some trade deadline deals that work with our cap space. This would basically mean that almost equal salary would have to go back in a trade deadline deal.

I guess it will be up to Dubas and the cap people to decide which is the best way to go. We have so much cap room right now, that if we just go with this roster, we could potentially afford to add some big names at the deadline and build a super team that would be over the cap had it been assembled from the start of the season, even with Matthews and Marner making under $1 million. If we had no Horton contract, we could have been in a lot better shape. It really screws us when trying to make deadline deals. Oh well... we have enough cap space this year to work around the Horton deal anyways... and next year is the last year of the deal and we'll be right up against the cap from the start of the season for sure.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Yes please....

I'd love to see a re-creation of an actual line from the most dominant team in International best on best history.

Marleau-Tavares-Nash

....just for a game or two.

If Nash takes a 1 year deal at a cheap price, come on home and then call it a career.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
This is tough one ... will we be trading for a guy like Nash at the deadline and giving up prospects or a 2nd rounder?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Leafs are already stacked up front, but with the cap space to give nash a deal should they?

1 year 5 mil should get it done.

They sign Nylander, and then Nash for 5M. That forces potentially 4.5M of performance bonuses this season to count against their cap next season.....so the team is screwed going forward for the benefit of one year of a 34-year-old Nash taking up space on a team that is already stacked offensively?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I say yes, bc he might not score goals like he used to but he was good defensively esp in the playoffs. He might even be a better winger next to Matthews and Willie

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
If he feels as though he is up to it, absolutely. On a 1 year deal, we have the cap space and he would add further depth to what we will be relying upon to win.

Gives Babs lots of options and tons of competition.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He's done, but I wouldnt mind it.

I font blame him for not wanting to come here before. The org was mediocre.

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
Could be interesting and make moving a young forward in a package for a D painless for this year. He doesn't produce in the playoffs but a Nash-Kadri-Brown shutdown line would be good.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
1 year for approximately whatever the dollar amount would be to not use Horton on ltir so bonuses would not carry over. He’d force two of Kappy/Johnsson/brown onto the fourth line, but that means we would have an extra first line a second and third instead of a fourth.
Marleau matthews Nylander 1a
Hyman Tavares Marner 1b
Johnsson Kadri Nash 2
Kappy Lindholm Brown 3

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
No, based on want Johnsson to get as much playing time as possible. Plus, Leivo geez when will the guy ever get to play. Bringing in Nash would be something the old leafs would do.

Reactions: Cams

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Yes, but halfway through the season similar to last year with Gionta and Kelly. If we sign him in the new year at 1x5M it won’t affect the bonuses.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
If we've got $5 million spare to hand out, there's got to be a D option we can investigate who'd be a better option than Nash.

Reactions: Cams

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
He's done, but I wouldnt mind it.

I font blame him for not wanting to come here before. The org was mediocre.

Mediocre? We were putrid, like mtl putrid, build on pillars of dog shit with idiot manegment for decades, cruel/angry fams, no future in sight. I dont blame him one bit.

Now if he would sign 1 year between 2.5-3.5 im down. He could be recast by bobcat and squuezed dry of what he has left

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
A cheap one-year deal? Sure.1.37 p1/60 would be our 9th most productive forward last year (in between the surprising Matt Martin and Tyler Bozak). He scores well on exit and entry statistics, is still one of the best volume shooters in the game, and shoots from the right areas of the ice (high shot rates from cross-slot passes, one-timers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad