Should have let Nylander sit or traded him for defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
There certainly was a disconnect between what Marner valued himself at and what Dubas thought.
Turns out even Marner was selling himself short.
I think he surpassed all our expectations for this years production. Putting him next to JT certainly increased his production.

Also seems like league wide scoring is up too

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You’re still going to have to make a choice.
At some point you need to spend money and upgrade the D. You can’t keep paying just forwards.

You make your best forward choices that allow you to improve your D and support the team with decent depth.
I'm of the opinion that if you have rare talent, you do everything you can to retain it. You don't use it to plug holes. It's much more likely that we can fix our defensive issues with Rosén, Liljegren, and Sandin, than it is that we can replace a rare talent like Nylander, not to mention one of the bigger talents.

Also to be fair the comment was about the big 4 not AJ and KK. He will get Marner signed and we will retain the big 4 I fully believe that.
Me too. The only question there is what will need to be sacrificed to make it work.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'm of the opinion that if you have rare talent, you do everything you can to retain it. You don't use it to plug holes. It's much more likely that we can fix our defensive issues with Rosén, Liljegren, and Sandin, than it is that we can replace a rare talent like Nylander, not to mention one of the bigger talents.

Me too. The only question there is what will need to be sacrificed to make it work.
I don’t believe a legit partner for Rielly is plugging a hole.
There are certain necessities IMO and then there a luxuries.

Again, if you deem the 4 players critical, then you must look at Kadri/Johnsson/Kapanen for uprades.

We don’t need a 4.5 3C more than we need a 4 million RHD partner for Rielly.

Reactions: RLF

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yup, what I heard as well. The scoring numbers have gone way up but so has the talent around him. I just am very doubtful he even tops 9 at the end of the day but we will see before July 1
Just going by something I've heard, admittedly it was a biased thought.
Like you say, "we'll see".

Reactions: 2022 Stanley Cup

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Willy is absolutely beasting. He and Matthews working their old offensive cycle magic. And the offense has come back - 6P in last 5GP.

The fact is that Auston Matthews only seems to look dominant when Willy is on the ice.
are you implying Mathews is riding on Nylander's coattails, bah ha ha.............

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Show me a stat that proves he's better defensively? He tries hard but his natural defensive instincts seem to suck. He's great at breaking up and intercepting passes in the O-zone but seriously that's his only defensive category that he excels in. Using shot differential Tavares is #1 on the team and Willy is #2 so..?
Marner's the only player that Leaf fans completely turn a blind eye to his mistakes and glorify standard plays that he should be making because any NHL player should be making them. Dude is an elite, elite, elite Powerplay player and has wow factor that can really only be topped by Matthews. He tries harder and more consistently than basically anyone else on the team. But guys, he's average at best defensively, he's somewhere between good to great @ 5v5 (while playing with a premiere 5v5 player in Tavares), and he's a PP monster. How is he worth 10M+ a season?
Mitch>Willy but the fact that Leaf fans think its a ~3M difference is funny. Y'all really just use the eye test huh?
Lets look at last nights game

Last Night's game looking at XGF/(XGF+XGA). I would say that Marner has the best balance of all the players on the team and this is running against a spectacular game by Matthews on the offensive side.

upload_2019-3-21_12-56-16.png

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don’t believe a legit partner for Rielly is plugging a hole.
There are certain necessities IMO and then there a luxuries.

Again, if you deem the 4 players critical, then you must look at Kadri/Johnsson/Kapanen for uprades.

We don’t need a 4.5 3C more than we need a 4 million RHD partner for Rielly.
We'll see what we can get there. Personally, I believe we have the partner for Rielly. Muzzin-Rielly was a terrific pairing. It got split up because the coach went with what's best for Rielly instead of what's best for the team. With that combination, we'd potentially roll into next season with one of these combinations:

Muzzin-Rielly
Dermott-Liljegren
Rosén-Ozhiganov

Muzzin-Rielly
Rosén-Dermott
Borgman-Liljegren

Those are fairly strong combinations, for what could be our toughest year for the defense group. After that we'll start to have cap space again.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
People don't get position and how you contribute is the reason Matthews got that contract. He's a C and scored more 5v5 goals than anybody which is the most valuable thing to do. It's worth more than 100 pt seasons.
Also look at this years RFA class in Point, Aho, Marner, Laine, Rantanen, Werenski, and others. Where does Marner even rank? I'd personally say #3 but somehow he'd make more than both Point and Aho who probably deserve more?
Naw, Marner is probably getting like 6x8.5. If Marner's surpasses Rantanen or Aho's the contract is an immediate bust. He'd have to be putting up 100 pt seasons every season to be worth it.
Who said he wouldn't? He is 21 years old on pace for 95 points.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Lets look at last nights game

Last Night's game looking at XGF/(XGF+XGA). I would say that Marner has the best balance of all the players on the team and this is running against a spectacular game by Matthews on the offensive side.

View attachment 202777
If you find me a sample dating from the all star break to now I will take that as 100% fact. This is 1 game and I'd agree with your points but it's 1 game. The stats over past regular seasons fall in Nylander's favour so I just want to know if it's changed. At least for a sizeable sample where Nylander was back to normal in terms of performance.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
If you find me a sample dating from the all star break to now I will take that as 100% fact. This is 1 game and I'd agree with your points but it's 1 game. The stats over past regular seasons fall in Nylander's favour so I just want to know if it's changed. At least for a sizeable sample where Nylander was back to normal in terms of performance.
Cough....what stats? Stats when Marner was 19 and 20 years old? Nylander has played 46 games this season. He should be up to speed and Marner still shows better performance.There is nothing anyone can say that would make a convincing argument that Nylander is in any way comparable to Marner. Marner is improving and Nylander has regressed yet the bias people bring with them is that Marner has somehow hit his peak and Nylander will show numbers far higher than he ever has.
Give this up already. Willy will get better but so will Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad