Should Gardiner be traded prior to the deadline?

Should Gardiner be traded prior to the trade deadline?

• Total voters

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Unlike previous years with JVR,Bozak... this is the first time we have a replacement (Dermott) who could make this trade possible. But they wont because of reasons...

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
2 part answer for me

1. if we can upgrade on gardiner then definitely. that upgrade should have at least an additional year under contract

2. if not, use gardiner as a self rental, and see if there is enough left over to re-sign him after matthews, marner and kapanen are signed

we should have dealt bozak and jvr last year; I and @thewave were constantly suggesting that but it didnt happen and we let them walk for 1 round of playoff. they were sheltered heavily and never took hard match ups

Gardiner on the other hand does not have to be sheltered, so as a self rental he is much superior to both of them

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Trade him for a RD. Dermott may not be as good as Gardiner offensively, but defensively Dermott is much better.

Reactions: Al14

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If he takes a discount to stay, signs for about $5m then maybe... otherwise, no chance. Still gotta pay M+M and Kappy this offseason. Gardiner is low priority. For all he offers offensively, he makes absurd defensive mistakes in high stakes/high pressure situations.

this team just forked out 7M AAV (actually contract 7.5AAV) for the RFA in Nylander, you think Gardiner as a UFA is gong to give such a huge discount to play only at 5AAV?

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
this team just forked out 7M AAV (actually contract 7.5AAV) for the RFA in Nylander, you think Gardiner as a UFA is gong to give such a huge discount to play only at 5AAV?
No, I don't think he will. I think he will leave. I'm just saying I don't think we're in a position to offer much more than that.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Unlike previous years with JVR,Bozak... this is the first time we have a replacement (Dermott) who could make this trade possible. But they wont because of reasons...

Dermott cannot put up 50 points or make consistent stretch passes.

There is no way you move Gardiner with how our defense is looking. Winning sucks and in the cap era you are going to lose players. It sucks but moving Gardiner would hurt this team big time.

Reactions: mulefarm

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
No, I don't think he will. I think he will leave. I'm just saying I don't think we're in a position to offer much more than that.

Didn't Carlson take less to stay in Washington? I wouldn't count anything out, especially if they get to a deep playoff run

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yes trade him. Too many games he plays defense like he in a beer league game . Out to lunch on a lot of goals against us. Pushed off the puck super easy .Time to let him go.

He has the lowest goals against among dman.. recency bias based on the playoffs is so annoying. Prior to that Gardiner had a great season last year too

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
There's certainly ways they could be 'creative' in how the handle Gardiner, but I think the likely outcome is he walks as UFA.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
Dermott cannot put up 50 points or make consistent stretch passes.

There is no way you move Gardiner with how our defense is looking. Winning sucks and in the cap era you are going to lose players. It sucks but moving Gardiner would hurt this team big time.

Gardiner-consistent (good?) Stretch passes. Lmao, he's average at best.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Unless someone is offering a deal that makes too much sense then you can’t move him now.

Time to have done it was in the offseason.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I don't think the pursuit of a RHD should have anything to do with keeping/trading Gardiner. The only instance where Gardiner is involved in a deal for a RHD is to Winnipeg for Myers. I can't see any other org. being interested in a lateral swap of that kind.

If it becomes clear to management that Gards is going to price himself out (e.g. over 6 mill), they should move him at the TDL for assets (futures), but I doubt they will. This is exactly what they should have done with JVR/Bozak but failed to do so. To lose a 37 goal scorer, a 50 pt C, and a 50pt D man for nothing in one calendar year is ludicrous.

I don't like the approach of "loading up" for the playoffs; I would much prefer the team continually sell off complementary, rental players for assets while still making the playoffs, albeit with a slightly weaker team on paper. In my opinion, if you have a championship level core (i.e. AM34, JT, M16, Rielly, Andersen), all you have to do is make the dance - the rest is a combination of luck and players getting hot. Washington had arguably the best roster on paper in the cap era in 2016-17, and almost lost in the first round. A year later, they win the cup with a worse line-up. Gardiner is not the difference between a cup winner and a pretender.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Didn't Carlson take less to stay in Washington? I wouldn't count anything out, especially if they get to a deep playoff run
Yup, its true. It's possible he loves it here, and thinks $5m is enough, and cuts a deal to stay. I'd be fine with him returning at $5m, but that's gotta be the max for him. Even that... it's tight!

Reactions: francis246

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Kapanen's play pretty much guaranteed Gardiner is gone. Dubas gonna ELC the place up with Sandin and Lil

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Need to deal Gardiner only for a rhd with term. I would deal Gardiner plus our 1st for someone who was under 27 and had 3+seasons left on their deal. The team getting Gardiner if they were rebuilding could deal him for a 1st+3rd with maybe potential for more.

wam_raven

Mar 2, 2007
I think Dubas' plan is for Patrick Marleau to become allergic to his equipment at the conclusion of the playoffs.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Albeit a lateral swap e.g. Gardiner for Myers, you don’t sell players when you’re competing for the Stanley Cup. That makes zero sense.

You should add to your current contender.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think the pursuit of a RHD should have anything to do with keeping/trading Gardiner. The only instance where Gardiner is involved in a deal for a RHD is to Winnipeg for Myers. I can't see any other org. being interested in a lateral swap of that kind.

If it becomes clear to management that Gards is going to price himself out (e.g. over 6 mill), they should move him at the TDL for assets (futures), but I doubt they will. This is exactly what they should have done with JVR/Bozak but failed to do so. To lose a 37 goal scorer, a 50 pt C, and a 50pt D man for nothing in one calendar year is ludicrous.

I don't like the approach of "loading up" for the playoffs; I would much prefer the team continually sell off complementary, rental players for assets while still making the playoffs, albeit with a slightly weaker team on paper. In my opinion, if you have a championship level core (i.e. AM34, JT, M16, Rielly, Andersen), all you have to do is make the dance - the rest is a combination of luck and players getting hot. Washington had arguably the best roster on paper in the cap era in 2016-17, and almost lost in the first round. A year later, they win the cup with a worse line-up. Gardiner is not the difference between a cup winner and a pretender.

I like the approach of loading up for the playoffs, but not in a half assed, overpriced Boyle/Plekanec kind of way.

I like to think that cap space is a commodity of its own, so letting JVR and Bozak walk actually allowed us to sign Tavares, which upgraded the team, and we had ELC players ready to step in cheap. So that's not for nothing. So long as you keep using that cap space to bring in talent that can help you on the ice, or be used to bring in other assets, I'm okay with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad