Should Gardiner be traded prior to the deadline?

Should Gardiner be traded prior to the trade deadline?

• Total voters

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Bozak, JVR and Komarov absolutely should have been dealt at last years Trade Deadline, but there is no way we can afford to trade Jake this year.

Would still like to dream we can extend Gardiner at a discount if we give him term, but I think the writing is on the wall that we can't afford him, and we already have his replacement in Dermott, which isn't a bad thing at all.

This year we are legitimate Cup contenders, and we can't shed our #2 defenceman going into the playoffs and expect to be successful. Truth be told, his value to us in the playoffs will significantly exceed his trade value as an impending UFA, so that makes him a keeper.

........ but I sure would like a mulligan on having kept JVR, Bozak, and Komarov last year. That was a mistake.

JvR Gardiner is a double edged sword whose play can just as easily lose games as win them . If there's an option to get a second pairing LD who isn't as prone to his brain farts when he's under pressure, then I say let Gardiner go as soon as possible.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Doubt it. Ultimately depends on the return, but the Leafs are currently better with Jake than without him, especially seeing as the replacement would be Marincin or Holl - neither of which a cup contending team would want in their lineup for an extended period of time

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Gardiner might have skill, but has too many brain farts. Count on him to give the puck away in their end of the ice at least once a game. Who would be dumb enough to center the puck in their own zone for the other team? Oh yeah number 51 Jake Gardiner.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
You don't trade a guy like that when you are attempting to win something. Besides the obvious loss of the player it sends a crusty message to the players that are left. The Blues did that with Stastny, how did that work out for them? No, you keep Gardiner and then make an attempt to sign him to a team friendly extension. If that can't be worked out, you let him walk and watch Dermott shine in his place. Trading him as some sort of exercise in ideal asset management is just stupid. An extra pick and prospect at the expense of our best crack at the stanley cup in more than 50 years doesn't seem like a good trade to me. I'd rather get those picks and prospects in the offseason when perhaps some bodies have to move for cap purposes.

Reactions: cookie and ironrhcp
Sep 18, 2009
You don't trade a guy like that when you are attempting to win something. Besides the obvious loss of the player it sends a crusty message to the players that are left. The Blues did that with Stastny, how did that work out for them? No, you keep Gardiner and then make an attempt to sign him to a team friendly extension. If that can't be worked out, you let him walk and watch Dermott shine in his place. Trading him as some sort of exercise in ideal asset management is just stupid. An extra pick and prospect at the expense of our best crack at the stanley cup in more than 50 years doesn't seem like a good trade to me. I'd rather get those picks and prospects in the offseason when perhaps some bodies have to move for cap purposes.
It's hard to imagine the Leafs tasting Lord Stanley's bosom with Gardiner at the back end.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Jake Gardiner at ES where he leads the team in ice time:

oiGF = 46
oiGA = 27

But I mean he does make a glaring mistake every like 5 games so might as well can him....
I think the Leafs might have two defensemen this year with 50+ points. That would make it back-to-back years something so rare takes place. And unlike many of their direct competitors, both Gardiner and Rielly play regular unsheltered minutes and probably have less minutes on the PP to boot.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
No need to trade him. He could just walk but o think trading him for a solid defensive defenseman veteran that has a year or two remaining on his contract is a possible move that could work????? I don't lnow I'm guessing. I think they will move him if the defensive quality return equals the trade enough. Expansion draft changes things for a year more from next year as 1st and 2nd year pros are exempt.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Rasmus Andersson Calgary
Carl Dahlstrom chicaga

These two are solid young players. Cody Cici from ottawa also is a player.

Trade jake for Rasmus Anderssen and a salary dump to evennit out for the year. Calgary gets better offense from the defense for the stretch.?????

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They are 2nd overall in the NHL they are NOT going to trade Gardiner, the only way it would make since to trade Gardiner is in a big deal for a big upgrade but that won't happen because Gardiner is a rental and rentals don't go for upgrades

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Look the TML have a great team, we are one of the top 5 in the league. Unfortunately we know what Gardiner is, a 40-50 D man who is smooth skating and prone to bad defensive plays. Look at the puck up the middle to Wings player just the other night. Just awful.

Truthfully we don’t have a legit top 4 RHD, Hainsey should be playing on the third pairing but would likely drop down to second pairing. Dermott has progressed nicely and in an ideal world would be given another year on the third pairing but I feel that with a partner like Hainsey would be able to handle the step up.

If we could swing a deal with the ducks for a player like Manson I think it could benefit both teams. Isssue is cap dollars.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Gardiner should be resigned.
For less than his current salary, sure!

Half the the time he is on the ice, he plays for the other team with his all too many brain farts. And sometimes, they really, really stink.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Look the TML have a great team, we are one of the top 5 in the league. Unfortunately we know what Gardiner is, a 40-50 D man who is smooth skating and prone to bad defensive plays. Look at the puck up the middle to Wings player just the other night. Just awful.

Truthfully we don’t have a legit top 4 RHD, Hainsey should be playing on the third pairing but would likely drop down to second pairing. Dermott has progressed nicely and in an ideal world would be given another year on the third pairing but I feel that with a partner like Hainsey would be able to handle the step up.

If we could swing a deal with the ducks for a player like Manson I think it could benefit both teams. Isssue is cap dollars.

notice how other contenders have no problem sticking 21-22 yr old dmen on their top pairs? BOS - McAvoy, TBL - Cernak, WPG - Morrissey, etc.

no idea why the leafs are the only ones that have to keep theirs down on the bottom pairing for years and years.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For less than his current salary, sure!

Half the the time he is on the ice, he plays for the other team with his all too many brain farts. And sometimes, they really, really stink.

That's just ridiculous, Gardiner is a fantastic player.

Reactions: stickty111

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
That's just ridiculous, Gardiner is a fantastic player.
So, you are denying that he is responsible for a couple of terrible giveaways almost every game?

Sure, I exaggerated somewhat, but, he does contribute to our goals against all too often for my liking.

I'm willing to listen to anyone that has statistics to prove he is worth more to our team than his brain farts seem to indicate.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So, you are denying that he is responsible for a couple of terrible giveaways almost every game?

Sure, I exaggerated somewhat, but, he does contribute to our goals against all too often for my liking.

I'm willing to listen to anyone that has statistics to prove he is worth more to our team than his brain farts seem to indicate.

That's still an exaggeration. The stats have been posted many times, there's even some numbers on this page that are quite good.

Reactions: Al14 and Ziggdiezan

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Put Gardiner with Hainsey or Dermott and ppl wouldn't want to trade him. We all saw Rielly struggle with Zaitsev. It not a confidence.

Reactions: mulefarm

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Considering RHD is their biggest need I'd say yes move him for one if possible. However I just don't see someone offering up a RHD for him unless Leafs are adding large. I'm assuming they will make a small add at deadline and keep this core for a run as they look good right now.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
That's still an exaggeration. The stats have been posted many times, there's even some numbers on this page that are quite good.
From here on out I will keep track of his faux pas.

It is all about what management thinks of him anyways. What I think of him means squat. If he is re-signed that will indicate he is valued. If he is traded, or not re-signed, that may only indicate that his value is too high for our cap to handle, or, he is replaceable by someone cheaper.

I like Gardiner when he is on, but, as a hockey coach, I really dislike his giveaways.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs only have three puck moving Dmen, and they all play on the left side. Leafs certainly can't trade Jake unless they get a similar player in return.....so a trade ain't happening.
Trading upcoming UFAs seem to be a real fascination with some folks. Playoff contenders especially Cup contender don't worry about players "walking" they actually acquire upcoming UFAs to make their team stronger.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Last year they had little chance of competing for the cup especially with Matthews playing hurt, so they should have traded JVR.
This year they do have a shot so they can't trade their # 2 d man.........unless they can get a sold RHD, which is very unlikely.

But you can always depend on Gardiner to make some glaring giveaways at key times , so it is going to be tough to win with or without him.

Reactions: hullsy47

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->