Should Gardiner be traded prior to the deadline?

Should Gardiner be traded prior to the trade deadline?

• Total voters

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If you can get a RHD who has speed, size and toughness to help Rielly then I would be all for it. We can't have Rielly being run like Boston did to him last playoffs. I like Paraynko but can't see him fitting into our CAP. We need a guy around 3M per year so our CAP works. That trade is going to be hard to navigate. Also we can't be giving up Kappy or Dermott.

member 157595

If you can get a RHD who has speed, size and toughness to help Rielly then I would be all for it. We can't have Rielly being run like Boston did to him last playoffs. I like Paraynko but can't see him fitting into our CAP. We need a guy around 3M per year so our CAP works. That trade is going to be hard to navigate. Also we can't be giving up Kappy or Dermott.

Any defenseman worth a shit is going to cost his fair share if signed to a long-term contract though.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Time will tell if he can be re-signed, but I think they retain him for the playoff run at least. Pertaining to a trade, unless he's traded and quickly re-signs with that team, he brings back a futures package typical of a rental. Trading him would also be bolstering a competing team, even if they aren't a direct rival (a team in the Atlantic, or even the Eastern Conference).

Trading him, and then directly or indirectly (one or two trades/three team trade) looking to add another player to help now and in the future, is a great idea if it can be pulled off. Unfortunately, that might be easier said than done.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Gardiner’s on ice production remainder of this season+ his potential cap space if he leaves has great value to the Leafs.

Whatever they got in return would have to give them a legit shot at finishing in the top 3 in the Atlantic, winning a playoff round this year and have an impact next year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It made way more sense to trae JVR last season than Gardiner this year - when they are legit contenders in the East.

Only way it works is in a hickeybtrade for another D.

I do suspect that he walks on July 1st though

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Gardiner is the #2 defenseman on the FA market. If the Leafs can't sign him, the quality of the team goes down pretty considerably, making a bad situation worse.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I do think we should trade him if we can get solid assets back. It simply won’t make sense to re-sign him, as we’re already overloaded with LHDs - Rielly/Gards/Dermott in the NHL, Rosen and Borgman both NHL ready, and Sandin looking very good with the Marlies too.

Carolina are overloaded with RHDs, need LHDs, and could re-sign Gards. Wonder if we could deal Gards+ for one of Pesce or Faulk, if we left the Canes talk to Gards first and get a rough extension plan in place?

If we can get a good RHD back, we may even improve THIS year with the trade. I think Dermott would do well in the 3D role, and Borgman could add some nice physicality on the bottom pair. If we could do something like Gards, 1st, Bracco for Faulk:

Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Faulk
Borgman - Zaitsev

Last edited:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I would package Gards with something, and move him for a RHD or picks. I know it's not the popular choice for a contender, and not from a position of great strength, but I honestly think our contender days are ahead of us as our prospects grow (Lily, Sandman, Grundy, March, Druzi, SDA, Bracco, etc.)

I just don't think we should be letting assets walk. Look at Buffalo, the have the blues top pick in the ROR trade, plus assets etc. I know it was in the summer, but my point is we need to keep a pipeline going, and assets walking out the door is not that.

Assets walking for free is hard cap world suicide. I would question the brass if this becomes regular practice. It's a business decision, not an emotional decision.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
I do think we should trade him if we can get solid asses back. It simply won’t make sense to re-sign him, as we’re already overloaded with LHDs - Rielly/Gards/Dermott in the NHL, Rosen and Borgman both NHL ready, and Sandin looking very good with the Marlies too.

Carolina are overloaded with RHDs, need LHDs, and could re-sign Gards. Wonder if we could deal Gards+ for one of Pesce or Faulk, if we left the Canes talk to Gards first and get a rough extension plan in place?
I agree, lets amASS all the Asses lol.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Really would like to see Dubas sign Gards to an 8yr extension and try to save on the cap by offering term. Move Zaitsev out with retention or picks to sweeten the pot to create the cap space.
Do not offer term to Gardiner. He's at his peak now and will only get worse. There are worse things that can happen in the cap era than letting an older player walk for free. It's a young player's league now.

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
The only way Gards should be traded is in a multi player deal (Gards +). They're not going trade out a Dman before the playoffs without getting an upgrade in return which isn't exactly feasible on a 1 for 1 type deal.

Keep him, try to sign him to a reasonable contract (edit: reasonable in both term and AAV) or let him walk. It's time the Leafs do what's best in the moment and not the future. (Appropriate time I should add)

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Team will become considerably worse without him. There will be pressure to change the core once he is gone.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There is not much choice in the matter. Unless something is done with Marleau contract next season there is no chance we can re-sign him. or we trade Z's contract.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I do think we should trade him if we can get solid assets back. It simply won’t make sense to re-sign him, as we’re already overloaded with LHDs - Rielly/Gards/Dermott in the NHL, Rosen and Borgman both NHL ready, and Sandin looking very good with the Marlies too.

If we can get a good RHD back, we may even improve THIS year with the trade. I think Dermott would do well in the 3D role, and Borgman could add some nice physicality on the bottom pair. If we could do something like Gards, 1st, Bracco for Faulk:

Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Faulk
Borgman - Zaitsev
faulk is garbage and dermott needs a better partner if he takes 2nd pairing. He will get buried there

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I would package Gards with something, and move him for a RHD or picks. I know it's not the popular choice for a contender, and not from a position of great strength, but I honestly think our contender days are ahead of us as our prospects grow (Lily, Sandman, Grundy, March, Druzi, SDA, Bracco, etc.)

I just don't think we should be letting assets walk. Look at Buffalo, the have the blues top pick in the ROR trade, plus assets etc. I know it was in the summer, but my point is we need to keep a pipeline going, and assets walking out the door is not that.

Assets walking for free is hard cap world suicide. I would question the brass if this becomes regular practice. It's a business decision, not an emotional decision.
So you need a capable replacement on the second pairing.
Dermott faces sheltered minutes. His Quality of competition is only in the 7th percentile. He starts in the dzone 42% of the time. He ain't ready to be the anchor of that second pairing

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

You can't assume we will ever have a better chance than we do this year. We're loaded with superstars on ELC's, veteran greats like Marleau and Tavares, a #1 defenseman, a great goalie... AND we have cap space to add.

The window doesn't close any time soon, but this is certainly the best shot we can ever expect to have. We're going to be running much leaner in the future.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Not unless the return is a RD on par with Gardiner, which is unlikely. Guy is on his way to his second straight 50 point season.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Only if we can get a RHD with some term and get rid of Zaitsev. Even then i'd be reluctant to introduce someone new into the system that late in the year. Jake has been very good so far this season.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
you get a younger dman with a good contract, obviously not as good as Jake and a draft pick or prospect or you put a package together.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The poll vote numbers are pretty even. Everyone wants to go for the Cup this year but reality is this year is about making a little run in playoffs with a round 1 win and then a balls to the wall round 2 series where we will go head to head with Tampa. Great if we win and get a conference final appearance against a Washington. The likelihood of winning a conference final is pretty low. So that's why getting a reduced RHD defensive asset on lower CAP hit appeals to me. Plus we do not have to rely on 2 rooks next season. Gards + Johnsson to Canes for Pesce.

Rielly Pesce
Dermott Z
Hainsey OZ

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
The poll vote numbers are pretty even. Everyone wants to go for the Cup this year but reality is this year is about making a little run in playoffs with a round 1 win and then a balls to the wall round 2 series where we will go head to head with Tampa. Great if we win and get a conference final appearance against a Washington. The likelihood of winning a conference final is pretty low. So that's why getting a reduced RHD defensive asset on lower CAP hit appeals to me. Plus we do not have to rely on 2 rooks next season. Gards + Johnsson to Canes for Pesce.

Rielly Pesce
Dermott Z
Hainsey OZ

I think Pesce would be great on the Leafs. He is exactly what we need. We don't need to worry about how many points he gets, since Rielly is his partner. He just gotta focus on the Defensive aspects.
I started taking a hard look at him when they were talking Nylander...... I really like him.... Just NOT for Nylander. If we could find other pieces, I would be all for it.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Absolutely, if you can use his assets to get a RD. He is not as important to this defense as he is made out to be, and he's not going to be back next year anyways. Just because we are a good team does not mean we should not trade away good players. If we become a better team in the end, you absolutely move Gardiner. There are a few ways the Leafs can do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad