Should Gardiner be traded prior to the deadline?

Should Gardiner be traded prior to the trade deadline?

• Total voters

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Jake Gardiner is a beast. I consider him a quality #2 puck-moving offensibe defenseman.

Eye test and likely back to back 50pt seasons with limited powerplay time just shows his high end skill. He will command 6+ million on long term deal as a free agent.

In my opinion, there is little chance the Leafs can keep him long term given the anticipated cap constraints. And its also arguable that with the current roster composition, they may not be true contenders

This begs the question -

1. Should Leafs consider trading in a hockey trade - get assets to help acquire a right handed defenseman - for this playoff run. For example:

To toronto: Brett Pesce (from carolina)
To Carolina: assets, offense (from Tor and team x)
To team X: Jake gardiner (from tor)

2. Or keep him as a own-rental then let him walk

PLEASE BE ON THE RECORD AND INCLUDE YOUR REASONING behing your decision if you also choose to leave a comment

Last edited:

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
If he takes a discount to stay, signs for about $5m then maybe... otherwise, no chance. Still gotta pay M+M and Kappy this offseason. Gardiner is low priority. For all he offers offensively, he makes absurd defensive mistakes in high stakes/high pressure situations.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
If he takes a discount to stay, signs for about $5m then maybe... otherwise, no chance. Still gotta pay M+M and Kappy this offseason. Gardiner is low priority. For all he offers offensively, he makes absurd defensive mistakes in high stakes/high pressure situations.

He will command at least 6.5-7 million AAV.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
There is no way you subtract from this team. Winning at least 1 round is important this season, in my opinion. Even if you don't think we can win the Cup this year, winning a round or 2 will go a long way to make us better. You don't go from losing in the 1st round 3 straight years to straight winning the cup. At least not usually. I am not interested in weakening the team.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
There is no way you subtract from this team. Winning at least 1 round is important this season, in my opinion. Even if you don't think we can win the Cup this year, winning a round or 2 will go a long way to make us better. You don't go from losing in the 1st round 3 straight years to straight winning the cup. At least not usually. I am not interested in weakening the team.

The original thread states to trade him to acquire assets to obtain a quality right handed D. Not a net subtraction

member 157595

If by traded you mean for futures, then it's not going to happen. Contending teams don't intentionally make their roster worse heading into the playoffs. It's theoretically possible for Gardiner to be part of a trade that makes the Leafs better long-term without weakening them this year but it's incredibly unlikely.

He'll be kept this year and walk as a UFA because there's no way we can afford him next year. If the Leafs are adding $$$ to the blueline on this team it really needs to be on the other side unless a deal is too impossibly good to pass up.

Stacker29

Feb 17, 2015
Last year JVR and Bozak should have been traded.

This year Gardiner should not be.

Nobody really thought we were taking down the Cup last year. JVR ad Bozak likely would have added a first, and a whack of 2nd/3rd rounders and prospects to our youth. It would have set us up this year to make the big splash and be a buyer at the deadline.

This year we’re one of a few legitimate contenders. We can not afford to move Jake Gardiner, even if adding another defenceman.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Please read original thread

if we trade talent at fear of losing to for nothing, then we should just fold as a organization cause no one wins without their elite players and no winning team sells at the deadline. No team would trade young controllable assets for a player whos gonna leave as a UFA, and why would we want to help our competition come playoff time?

its very much on the record that Gardiners agent has been talking to the Leafs. He wants to stay. He will take a hometown discount to remain if the number works, you heard it here first.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The original thread states to trade him to acquire assets to obtain a quality right handed D. Not a net subtraction

I know what you meant, but you will not get assets that help you this season in a trade of Gards. You would be trading him to a potential cup contender, correct? Those teams don't give up any NHL ready assets. You would only get futures. I am interested in assets that can help us in the playoffs this season. Not 2 or 3 years from now, if at all.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Zero percent change they move him for futures.

That would fracture the room if they were looking to deal him for long term assets, a direct slap in the face to this current core.

As a rental, he’s the best there would be on the market and let’s consider ourselves lucky we don’t have to spend assets to acquire someone like him.

Only scenario I deal him for is a legitimate top pairing RHD that can consume significant minutes, someone like Jake Trouba, and that isn’t happening either. The odds on that are extremely thin.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The time would have been in the summer.
Like JVR and Bozak last year, too late now.
Unless they somehow can flip him for another d-man, which I highly doubt

member 157595

Last year JVR and Bozak should have been traded.

This year Gardiner should not be.

Nobody really thought we were taking down the Cup last year. JVR ad Bozak likely would have added a first, and a whack of 2nd/3rd rounders and prospects to our youth. It would have set us up this year to make the big splash and be a buyer at the deadline.

This year we’re one of a few legitimate contenders. We can not afford to move Jake Gardiner, even if adding another defenceman.

I can understand not moving JVR or Bozak (not saying I necessarily agree with that decision) but what definitely should NOT have happened last year was that stupid-ass Turtleneck trade. Complete waste.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
It would be really hard to trade Gardiner, and make the team better in 2018. So, no. But if it somehow made the team better? Sure. So it'd all be dependent on the deal.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
It would be really hard to trade Gardiner, and make the team better in 2018. So, no. But if it somehow made the team better? Sure. So it'd all be dependent on the deal.

Eg.
To toronto: Brett Pesce
To Carolina: assets, offense (from Tor and team x)
To team X: Jake gardiner

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Not a black and white.

If someone is willing to overpay and we can turn the assets and cap space into a multi year asset then that is the smart route to take.

But we shouldn't be shopping his because he's a UFA. Cup contenders take that risk.

If Gardiner is going out something major has to be coming in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad