Should Crosby Retire?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
No, because Crosby loves playing hockey.

As a NHL watcher, he's won everything there is to win, so I dunno what he has left to prove especially after he gets a 3rd cup this year?

But he loves the game of hockey. And you can't tell a player like that to not be on the ice. He came back early because he loves hockey so much. How can you tell someone to stop doing what they love?

Of course, you can ... it's called failing a physical. Ask Chris Bosh. Some players are uninsurable.

I don't think it's to that point with Sid. However, if he keeps playing for the short term, he's seriously risking his long term career. Something is not right with Sid currently.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
By the time he's 60 years old he's going to be 90 years old physically and mentally. Confusion severely damage the brain and when it's done soooo many times it's going to damage him in the future. He's going to regret it.

illpucks

May 26, 2011

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I wonder how much power Sid has in the 'Burgh though?

I could imagine "Sid we have concerns and we don't want you in the game"

"**** that. I'm playing tonight. Try to take me out but I'm still playing"

He would play even if he was 25%. I don't think he can be stopped from playing he's got a lot of say due to who he is.

That's why other Leagues has concussion protocols ... unfortunately, not always adhered to in the playoffs either.

You can't take huge amounts of risks when it comes to your brain. I'm not saying Crosby should retire. However, a 1 game lay off after a cross check to the back of the head ... after Sid's known history? And then to not even get a proper evaluation after those two massive head collisions in game 6? That's just irresponsible on the NHL and Pens.

I'm certain Sid would have played in Game 4 if given the chance. He's a warrior. That's why we have protocols in place to prevent players from hurting themselves further. That's why the NHL needs COMPLETELY independent neurologists at games to make proper evaluation without a conflict of interest (team).

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I don't think he should retire. I mean, you got these motocross and or bicycle/skateboard riders with 8-9-10 concussions and 30-40 broken bones.

Obviously it's a risk to keep playing, but I can't see him just quitting because of that. There is risks in everything.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I don't think he should retire. I mean, you got these motocross and or bicycle/skateboard riders with 8-9-10 concussions and 30-40 broken bones.

Obviously it's a risk to keep playing, but I can't see him just quitting because of that. There is risks in everything.

Don't be so sure. Players like Calvin Johnson hung it up because of injuries. Derek Rose has also talked about retiring from basketball because of them. Contrary to popular belief, these guys do want to live long and prosperous lives. Ask Derek Boogaard how it went for him with the amount of concussions he got? Mark Parrish is on the radio a lot up here and even he has said the lingering effects of the concussions interfere with his day-2-day routines constantly.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
What do you mean?

You think Sid is healthy when ...

* he only misses 1 game after being cross checked on the back of his head with his concussion history?
* he takes a header into the boards and then crawls on the ice?
* he takes a body and stick to the face and his head snaps violently ... looking stunned?
* he has uncharacteristic sloppy plays?
* somewhat looked dazed on the bench?

Call me conservative, but I don't think I'm wrong when I say something doesn't appear right. At least enough to be properly evaluated by an independent neurologist ... rather than a poorly paid trainer (relative) who's interests are aligned with the organization.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I wonder how much power Sid has in the 'Burgh though?

I could imagine "Sid we have concerns and we don't want you in the game"

"**** that. I'm playing tonight. Try to take me out but I'm still playing"

He would play even if he was 25%. I don't think he can be stopped from playing he's got a lot of say due to who he is.

That's why it's a medical decision to allow him to return. He has to pass all of the protocols.

Obviously, if he lands on LTIR, he is paid his full remainder of his contract like Pronger, Savard, etc.

However, I think Sid understands the seriousness of the effects of concussions to know that it's not a great position to be in. I would hope that he would retire before the next concussion lands him on LTIR for the remainder of his contract. If he is going to live another 55-60 years, he has almost $58 million left on his contract, that's basically $1 million per year for the rest of his life. I doubt that's going to make up for the symptoms that would plague a guy for the rest of his life. Even Keith Primeau has regrets about continually returning to the NHL to play. Savard as well.

What would happen to Sid's contract if he does pass the concussion protocol tests, but his doctors advise him to retire? Does he still receive the remainder of his contract?

And what if he does decide to retire without a doctor advising him to retire? What happens to his contract then?

Whenever Sid does retire, I hope he does so without being on LTIR. He's done plenty in the NHL, obviously not as much as he had hoped due to injuries, but it still HOF worthy.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You think Sid is healthy when ...

* he only misses 1 game after being cross checked on the back of his head with his concussion history?
Lots of players miss little time due to concussions. What does history have to do with anything? Bergeron missed an entire year with a concussion, and then in 2011 he only missed 2 games with another one.
* he takes a header into the boards and then crawls on the ice?
He should've been evaluated, but as far as I know suffered no symptoms and still has no symptoms.
* he takes a body and stick to the face and his head snaps violently ... looking stunned?
His nose got cut by a broken stick. That's not a concussion.
* he has uncharacteristic sloppy plays?
The whole team must be concussed then.
* somewhat looked dazed on the bench?
I didn't see this. Source?

Call me conservative, but I don't think I'm wrong when I say something doesn't appear right. At least enough to be properly evaluated by an independent neurologist ... rather than a poorly paid trainer (relative) who's interests are aligned with the organization.
I don't see any evidence that suggests he's playing through concussion symptoms or wasn't checked out and cleared by actual medical doctors to play. The Penguins medical staff is affiliated with UPMC. They're not going to **** around with their own reputation - not to mention someone's health and well-being - to win some hockey game.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Lots of players miss little time due to concussions. What does history have to do with anything? Bergeron missed an entire year with a concussion, and then in 2011 he only missed 2 games with another one.

He should've been evaluated, but as far as I know suffered no symptoms and still has no symptoms.

I don't see any evidence that suggests he's playing through concussion symptoms or wasn't checked out and cleared by actual medical doctors to play. The Penguins medical staff is affiliated with UPMC. They're not going to **** around with their own reputation - not to mention someone's health and well-being - to win some hockey game.

History has a lot to do with it because concussions stacking up on your brain take their toll. Every single one makes it worse. And with each one, it has been said by doctors that you're 3 times more likely to suffer another one...

Concussions leave scar tissue on your brain. Each one adding up. Our brains don't replace/rebuild dead neurons. When they're lost, they're lost. So yeah... history has a lot to do with it. Considering each one he gets will deteriorate his brain more and more.

You may want to do some research on concussions and traumatic brain injury.

And funny, you never responded to my last post that completely disproves what you were saying about Crosby not having lingering concussion issues in his career... I wonder why? :laugh:

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

With brain injuries, history has everything to do with it. We're still in the early stages of research for CTE ... but there is ample evidence to believe repeated head injuries do not end well for the athlete.

As an ex football player who played D1, concussions aren't a joke. At the time, it was a badge of honor to play through it. Sometimes you can operate but feel foggy ... or even forget you actually played a game after running for 90 yards. Yeah ... it's freaky. What's worst is the headaches. I haven't experienced it ... but I know people who have.

Losing consciousness isn't the tell tale sign of a concussion. In fact, it's not. It's how you react afterwards. Most importantly, anyone who disputes concussion history has nothing to do with it, really has little knowledge about concussions. It is a fact that previous concussions (especially recent) leads to more concussions.

Furthermore, it's coming out that due to NHL protocols, the spotter couldn't even allowed to mandate a check on Crosby. In fact, it was the player and trainer's call. That's not wise.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You'd think with all the experts advocating his retirement on here, some people might understand this part, but apparently not.

He missed 70 games over the season prior and into that same season with concussion symptoms.

2010-2011 - He missed around 50 games to end the season, I believe.
2011-2012 - Missed another 20 or so to start the season.
2011-2012 - Played 8 games.
2011-2012 - Missed another 40 games with a "neck injury".

So........ explain to me how he didn't have a lingering concussion issue?

70 games... due to concussion symptoms, to end one season, and begin another. So basically stretching out over what? A 10 month period of time, or so? And almost an entire season worth of games?

And that's if his "neck injury" was a neck injury, and not just advertised as that by the Pens organization due to his previous concussion that basically cost him an entire year on the ice.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
History has a lot to do with it because concussions stacking up on your brain take their toll. Every single one makes it worse. And with each one, it has been said by doctors that you're 3 times more likely to suffer another one...
Yes, many people are saying that.

Concussions leave scar tissue on your brain. Each one adding up. Our brains don't replace/rebuild dead neurons. When they're lost, they're lost. So yeah... history has a lot to do with it. Considering each one he gets will deteriorate his brain more and more.

You may want to do some research on concussions and traumatic brain injury.
Should Toews retire? I think yes.

And funny, you never responded to my last post that completely disproves what you were saying about Crosby not having lingering concussion issues in his career... I wonder why? :laugh:
Thanks for pointing that out.. I missed it. You're flat out wrong. Crosby had an undiagnosed neck injury that was causing his prolonged symptoms. Once it was diagnosed and treated he returned. The concussion didn't linger, the neck injury did.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/7556814/sidney-crosby-neck-injury-requires-complex-explanation

With brain injuries, history has everything to do with it. We're still in the early stages of research for CTE ... but there is ample evidence to believe repeated head injuries do not end well for the athlete.
But history has *nothing* to do with how long a player should sit out for. That's what you were insinuating and what I was questioning. Player Q might suffer a concussion that takes 6 months to heal and the next one might resolve overnight. History has *nothing* to do with how long a player should sit out, and if you think it does, you should direct your concern towards countless other NHL players that sit out varying amounts of times from different concussions.

As an ex football player who played D1, concussions aren't a joke. At the time, it was a badge of honor to play through it. Sometimes you can operate but feel foggy ... or even forget you actually played a game after running for 90 yards. Yeah ... it's freaky. What's worst is the headaches. I haven't experienced it ... but I know people who have.

Losing consciousness isn't the tell tale sign of a concussion. In fact, it's not. It's how you react afterwards. Most importantly, anyone who disputes concussion history has nothing to do with it, really has little knowledge about concussions. It is a fact that previous concussions (especially recent) leads to more concussions.

Furthermore, it's coming out that due to NHL protocols, the spotter couldn't even allowed to mandate a check on Crosby. In fact, it was the player and trainer's call. That's not wise.
Now you're just arguing points I never even raised. Losing consciousness isn't the tell tale sign of a concussion? No ****.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Don't be so sure. Players like Calvin Johnson hung it up because of injuries. Derek Rose has also talked about retiring from basketball because of them. Contrary to popular belief, these guys do want to live long and prosperous lives. Ask Derek Boogaard how it went for him with the amount of concussions he got? Mark Parrish is on the radio a lot up here and even he has said the lingering effects of the concussions interfere with his day-2-day routines constantly.

Ask Boogaard?:shakehead

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yes, many people are saying that.

Should Toews retire? I think yes.

Why do you keep bringing up Toews? :laugh: He has nothing to do with this conversation. I'm not saying Crosby should retire right now. But at some point he should look at what is more important. The extra 4-5 years of hockey he may get, or the next 40 years of his life...

Thanks for pointing that out.. I missed it. You're flat out wrong. Crosby had an undiagnosed neck injury that was causing his prolonged symptoms. Once it was diagnosed and treated he returned. The concussion didn't linger, the neck injury did.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/7556814/sidney-crosby-neck-injury-requires-complex-explanation

Does it state in there any definitive date of when his "concussion symptoms" stopped, and it was determined it was a neck injury the entire time? There's nowhere that says "he missed those previous 70 games before the "neck injury" due to the undiagnosed "neck injury". None of it gives definitive dates, therefore you, just like I, have no idea when one thing stopped, and the other started. But the most reported issue was concussion symptoms until he played the 8 games, then got diagnosed with the neck injury, and missed 40 more.

But history has *nothing* to do with how long a player should sit out for. That's what you were insinuating and what I was questioning. Player Q might suffer a concussion that takes 6 months to heal and the next one might resolve overnight. History has *nothing* to do with how long a player should sit out, and if you think it does, you should direct your concern towards countless other NHL players that sit out varying amounts of times from different concussions.

Now you're just arguing points I never even raised. Losing consciousness isn't the tell tale sign of a concussion? No ****.

Responses in bold.

Last edited:

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Elliot Freidman admitted that what doctors thought about concussions before has been changing. Rest may not be the best option anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad