Should Crosby Retire?

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
What makes you think Crosby will make the right decision for himself? Crosby is a warrior. Of course his going to put the needs of the team before himself. That's what most good teammates do.

What makes you think he won't? Countless times I've heard fans call him a p***y when he's rested for injuries undisclosed, he's said many times that he knows himself and his own body. Who am I to act like I know better when we don't even know him? By giving him the benefit of the doubt, I'm not going pretend like I really know the guy or his private life and what goes on between closed doors with him and his inner circle, be it his family, his doctors, and teammates.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
What makes you think he won't? Countless times I've heard fans call him a p***y when he's rested for injuries undisclosed, he's said many times that he knows himself and his own body. Who am I to act like I know better when we don't even know him? By giving him the benefit of the doubt, I'm not going pretend like I really know the guy or his private life and what goes on between closed doors with him and his inner circle, be it his family, his doctors, and teammates.

Who would call him a p***y after seeing his head bounce like a rag doll in this series ... esp. after his concussion history? I'm not the only one wondering if Crosby is right. He's definitely not as crisp on the ice. And how the Penguins trainers / NHL DON'T take Sid into the dressing room to be evaluated after both hits to the head in game 6, warrants serious questions about their interests.

You keep talking "about the benefit the doubt." There is no benefit of the doubt. The protocols are pretty clear ... especially a player coming back from multiple concussions. They have protocols to prevent players from hurting themselves.

Are you a Pens fan? I'm neither. My team was eliminated in the 1st round. However, I am a Crosby fan. I'd rather see him play for the long term, rather than suffering the same fate like an Eric Lindros.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Who would call him a p***y after seeing his head bounce like a rag doll in this series ... esp. after his concussion history? I'm not the only one wondering if Crosby is right. He's definitely not as crisp on the ice. And how the Penguins trainers / NHL DON'T take Sid into the dressing room to be evaluated after both hits to the head in game 6, warrants serious questions about their interests.

You keep talking "about the benefit the doubt." There is no benefit of the doubt. The protocols are pretty clear ... especially a player coming back from multiple concussions. They have protocols to prevent players from hurting themselves.

Are you a Pens fan? I'm neither. My team was eliminated in the 1st round. However, I am a Crosby fan. I'd rather see him play for the long term, rather than suffering the same fate like an Eric Lindros.

Pens fan? I thought my HBK avatar would have already given it away. :)

I personally felt that they should have evaluated him during the game, if that's what you mean. As far as benefit of the doubt and decision making, I'm talking more long term as far as whether or not he should retire and at what point he would make that decision.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
So, if it should not be up to the players and the NHL doesn't have the best interest of the player at heart, that what do you do? Go by what the doctor says? What if the players sees 4 doctors and their opinions vary?

Like I said, with head injuries (especially players with a history), you have to take the safer course of action. Sid took one game off from a nasty check to the back of the head. If it was the regular season, how many games would Sid have taken off? Exactly. You don't screw around with someone's brain ... even if it's the playoffs. Take all precautions. That doesn't mean he should retire. However, there's no rush.

What makes me question the interests of the Pens and NHL? How they did not take Sid into the lockerroom for an evaluation after those two massive hits to the head in game 6 ... well, that should make everyone skeptical. At least get properly evaluated. This is a player just coming back from a concussion ... with a history of head issues. What were they thinking?

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
This is such a much bigger issue than Sid. The NHL still denies ties between concussion and CTE. Still encourages/condones fighting. Says it's trying to take head injuries out of the game, but still issues penalties based on the perpetrators reputation and the "results" - did the guy get hurt or not.

For Sid - it's get independent best advice about the cumulative impact of multiple brain injuries and make a decision. For the league - it's time to get serious and get independent neurological involvement in all on-ice incidents and handling of return-to-ice protocol.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Pens fan? I thought my HBK avatar would have already given it away. :)

I personally felt that they should have evaluated him during the game, if that's what you mean. As far as benefit of the doubt and decision making, I'm talking more long term as far as whether or not he should retire and at what point he would make that decision.

Absolutely ... retirement should be Sid's decision as long as the majority of the doctors are in his corner. However, I question if he gave his brain enough time to properly recover. Common sense says, "no." Not with Sid's history.

This is my question: if this was the regular season, how many games would Sid sit after the game 3 hit to the head? Why is it now different ... because it's the playoffs?

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Absolutely ... retirement should be Sid's decision as long as the majority of the doctors are in his corner. However, I question if he gave his brain enough time to properly recover. Common sense says, "no." Not with Sid's history.

This is my question: if this was the regular season, how many games would Sid sit after the game 3 hit to the head? Why is it now different ... because it's the playoffs?

I can't claim to know for sure, but I would be lying if said I didn't wonder this myself and wasn't worried about him.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

It's a scientific fact that has been proven by science that players heal faster during playoffs.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I can't claim to know for sure, but I would be lying if I didn't wonder this myself.

I think Sid is a treasure to the NHL. I can't lie that he's annoying as heck when he plays against my team. However, I like watching Sid play because he's that good. I want him to play 5+ years. However, I cringed last night watching him (what looked to be somewhat dazed) on the bench ... and even his uncharacteristic sloppy play on the ice. At some point, it becomes more about the human being than the game.

I bet Sid can still perform well even at this state. He's that good. However, at what price? Wouldn't it be more prudent to give his brain some more time to heal? The brain is far different than a knee, shoulder, rib, back, arm, etc.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
This is such a much bigger issue than Sid. The NHL still denies ties between concussion and CTE. Still encourages/condones fighting. Says it's trying to take head injuries out of the game, but still issues penalties based on the perpetrators reputation and the "results" - did the guy get hurt or not.

For Sid - it's get independent best advice about the cumulative impact of multiple brain injuries and make a decision. For the league - it's time to get serious and get independent neurological involvement in all on-ice incidents and handling of return-to-ice protocol.

Won't happen as long as there are too many meatheads in the NHL front offices that think similarly to Brian Burke. They'd rather keep it a "man's game," even if that means getting sued out the ying-yang.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Asking a player who is a finalist for Pearson and Hart to retire is a lot to ask. I will admit, he's looked like a completely different player from Games 1 and 2.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
It's a sad case to have to make and consider.

Obviously hope he sticks around, being one of the best players of his generation, but if it endangers his long term health..

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
How many has Toews had?

Pretty sure it's 3 through his entire career in the NHL, though I don't think there was a single one that lingered the way Crosby's have. And possibly one in college? Although I can't be sure about that.

I do believe Sid needs to think long and hard about his future, and potentially consider early retirement. Which sucks. I'm not a big fan of his, if I'm being nice, but there's no denying his greatness, or that he's good for the game. I just get images of another Lindros situation and a terrible deterioration of his health due to the repeated concussions. I mean... the guy missed an entire season's worth of games at one point, roughly a full calendar year, if I'm not mistaken, yet this most recent concussion healed in like 5-6 days? I'm... a little skeptical about that, to say the least.

I just don't want to see the guy end up drooling all over himself when he's in his late 30's because he just kept playing too long, risking his health. I mean... when is it enough? When do you sit down and say... "Hey, if I want to have kids, watch them grow up, not have long-term debilitating health issues, and live a long life, I probably should consider retiring."

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty sure it's 3 through his entire career in the NHL, though I don't think there was a single one that lingered the way Crosby's have. And possibly one in college? Although I can't be sure about that.

So the same amount as Crosby. :laugh: His neck injury lingered, not the concussion.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I don't think people realize just how bad a concussion can be unless you've experienced it or even experienced something like post-concussion syndrome for several months.

I had a pretty minor one from snowboarding a few years ago and it took me months to feel better and even now a few years later I don't feel like I ever fully recovered from it.

I love hockey and enjoy watching football but it's hard for me to watch it sometimes because I know how damaging even a simple concussion can be. Then you hear about guys like Savard/Lindros/Pronger and the stuff they deal with still to this day. How many other players have issues with long-term depression/anger/anxiety due to head injuries that we don't hear about?

I can't say one way or another that Crosby should retire but I hope for his sake he put's his health first because he has a lot of life left after hockey

I'm not sure what the answer is for the league either because you can't just tell a guy to retire. Where do you draw the line? Someone may come back fine from concussion #3 after 4 weeks but all you do is increase the chance of having another concussion and what if #4 is the one that ruins the rest of your life as a player?

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I don't think crosby is taking any more of a risk than most the players in the league. He has had concussions sure but they don't appear to be related and his recovery time isn't getting longer. Obviously I don't know the whole story but from the outside it doesn't look like he's one small concussion away from dying...

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
So the same amount as Crosby. :laugh: His neck injury lingered, not the concussion.

:huh:

No... you're flat out wrong.

He's missed 114 games in his career due to concussion-related symptoms... Almost a season and a half of games.

In 2010-2011, he missed like 50 games, and then another 20 to start 2011-2012 from concussion-related symptoms. Then he played eight games, and missed another 40, which they say was a "neck injury" but you truly don't know, do you? To me, I would say after having concussion symptoms linger for 70 games (roughly an entire season), only playing in 8, then going out with a "neck injury" for another 30-40 games... there's a possibility that it was also concussion-related, and not divulged as such by the Pens.

How is that not lingering concussion symptoms, btw? :shakehead

In comparison, I think Toews has missed about 30 games overall with concussion-related injuries/symptoms in his entire career.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don't think crosby is taking any more of a risk than most the players in the league. He has had concussions sure but they don't appear to be related and his recovery time isn't getting longer. Obviously I don't know the whole story but from the outside it doesn't look like he's one small concussion away from dying...

Retirement is Crosby's call as long as the majority if his doctors are in his corner. HOWEVER, I'm highly skeptical that Crosby's given enough time for his brain to heal properly after the game 3 hit. Now with two more massive hits to the head that obviously stunned him, he definitely needs to take more time to make sure he's okay. I believe what the NHL and the Pens are allowing is reckless. At some point, they have to step in and prevent the player from further injuring himself. He needs to heal.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Crosby is an adult. He knows the risks and rewards. If he wants to play, let him play. If he wants to retire, let him retire. I respect the opinion of those on here whom want him to play and those on here whom want him to retire, but I respect Crosby's decision more, and he wants to play.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Yes, he is. Every concussion is related as they all impact the brain... Severity, as well as frequency can be attributed to past history of concussions. If you've already had numerous concussions, you're at risk for them even more, with some doctors saying that each successive concussion increases your risk for another one by up to 3 times. He's 110% putting himself at more risk than other players in the league who have not had as severe, or any concussions.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
He has a concussion, no doubt. So glad the org is allowing him to play, I'm sure there will be no CTI type issues later on in his life that would warrant him to be playing in that particular playoff game.

/s

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I really don't like the situation. I can see a real possibility of Crosby retiring a lot sooner than any of us want to admit. I think the end is starting to show it's ugly head.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
No, because Crosby loves playing hockey.

As a NHL watcher, he's won everything there is to win, so I dunno what he has left to prove especially after he gets a 3rd cup this year?

But he loves the game of hockey. And you can't tell a player like that to not be on the ice. He came back early because he loves hockey so much. How can you tell someone to stop doing what they love?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
No, because Crosby loves playing hockey.

As a NHL watcher, he's won everything there is to win, so I dunno what he has left to prove especially after he gets a 3rd cup this year?

But he loves the game of hockey. And you can't tell a player like that to not be on the ice. He came back early because he loves hockey so much. How can you tell someone to stop doing what they love?

:laugh:

Jumping the gun a little bit here, eh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad