Should Crosby Retire?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
A couple good candidates for retirement right here in this thread...

They were testing a new machine with hockey players a few years back, sort of created a gyroscope effect that was yielding some positive results for players, does anyone know what happened with that project?

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Sidney are ok, sidney are you ok, are you OK sidney? You´ve been hit by, you´ve been hit by a smooth criminal (Niskanen).

All I care about now is Crosbys health.

Seeing him with the Hornqvist incident and then the dive into the boards was like watching a horror show.

What is going on behind closed doors? Whats going on between Sid and the doctors?

Are the Pens jeopardizing Sids future to lose against the Caps?

Are Sid to stubborn not to play?
---
I started with quoting Michael Jackson and will do the same finishing:

"What you have just witnessed could be the end of a particularly terrifying nightmare. It isn’t. It’s the beginning beginning beginning."

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
When Chris Bosh was unable to get cleared by the Miami Heat doctors last year, it was because no doctor would clear him due to his current medical condition (blood clots which require him to take blood thinners) that puts him at risk of serious injury and even potential death every game. He's not officially retired and is keeping his options open to potentially still returning to play basketball. My hunch is he's keeping up to date with research and pharmaceutical development in hopes of something that will enable him to play again.

With concussions, it's unclear how many is too many. If you play until the one that takes you fully out of the game, then you may be well beyond too late. While you're healthy, doctors can't exactly say, "you're x hits away from CTE or enduring severe long term symptoms so we can't clear you to play." It seems like players who leave because of concussion related symptoms do so not on their own accord but because they endured one final concussion that made playing an impossible situation.

So if we're talking about a player leaving the game before exhibiting debilitating symptoms, no team doctor is going to force Crosby to stop playing, leaving Crosby to make that determination.

But if you watch documentaries of professional retired athletes, many of whom are dealing with their aches and pains from their playing years, few ever gave up the game before they were truly unproductive players. It's hard to give up something you've been doing for decades of your life, something that creates your identity, gives you dignity, and is something you clearly love doing.

So it's only reasonable to assume Sid would only leave the game 'pre-maturely' (as in, before most fans would reasonably expect someone physically healthy like him to retire) if the symptoms were so bad that he couldn't play a full game or go out and live a normal life. It's completely in line with what nearly every athlete of every professional sports league with high visibility would do, be it in the NHL, or the NFL or even the NBA.

I think we have to acknowledge that if we're putting on the onus on Crosby to make that determination, you have to believe he'll either retire when he's too told or if symptoms prevent him from playing (e.g. from another concussion). If the latter happens, it's too late in the sense that severe brain damage has been done, it's irreversible, and will affect him for the rest of his life. But now we're at a point where we can legitimately say that doctors, the team, or the league could've stepped in and said "no, we think the risk of your long term health is too high, we really suggest retiring from the game for your own safety" instead of pretending that the onus was only on the player to figure things out and that future that will unfold over the next ten years is not preventable. Because we know exactly what athletes will do.

Last edited:

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Oh, you're the guy who started the "Milbury thinks Crosby is top 5", and you agree with him. Guess there's nothing left for us to discuss..

Goodluck with that..

Maybe when Crosby retires the list will be:
1 Crosby
2 Lemieux
3 Malkin
4 Gretzky
5 Howe

In 20 years it will be:

1 McDavid
2 Eichel
3 Matthews
4 Crosby
5 Gretz
:laugh:
Homers gonna Home!

still waiting for you to list your credentials that make your views more valid than milbury's

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
When Chris Bosh was unable to get cleared by the Miami Heat doctors last year, it was because no doctor would clear him due to his current medical condition (blood clots which require him to take blood thinners) that puts him at risk of serious injury and even potential death every game. He's not officially retired and is keeping his options open to potentially still returning to play basketball. My hunch is he's keeping up to date with research and pharmaceutical development in hopes of something that will enable him to play again.

With concussions, it's unclear how many is too many. If you play until the one that takes you fully out of the game, then you may be well beyond too late. While you're healthy, doctors can't exactly say, "you're x hits away from CTE or enduring severe long term symptoms so we can't clear you to play." It seems like players who leave because of concussion related symptoms do so not on their own accord but because they endured one final concussion that made playing an impossible situation.

So if we're talking about a player leaving the game before exhibiting debilitating symptoms, no team doctor is going to force Crosby to stop playing, leaving Crosby to make that determination.

But if you watch documentaries of professional retired athletes, many of whom are dealing with their aches and pains from their playing years, few ever gave up the game before they were truly unproductive players. It's hard to give up something you've been doing for decades of your life, something that creates your identity, gives you dignity, and is something you clearly love doing.

So it's only reasonable to assume Sid would only leave the game 'pre-maturely' (as in, before most fans would reasonably expect someone physically healthy like him to retire) if the symptoms were so bad that he couldn't play a full game or go out and live a normal life. It's completely in line with what nearly every athlete of every professional sports league with high visibility would do, be it in the NHL, or the NFL or even the NBA.

I think we have to acknowledge that if we're putting on the onus on Crosby to make that determination, you have to believe he'll either retire when he's too told or if symptoms prevent him from playing (e.g. from another concussion). If the latter happens, it's too late in the sense that severe brain damage has been done, it's irreversible, and will affect him for the rest of his life. But now we're at a point where we can legitimately say that doctors, the team, or the league could've stepped in and said "no, we think the risk of your long term health is too high, we really suggest retiring from the game for your own safety" instead of pretending that the onus was only on the player to figure things out and that future that will unfold over the next ten years is not preventable. Because we know exactly what athletes will do.

This

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It has to be a concern for him at this point, he's 30 in August and has done a fair bit in his career, got to think he's going to start putting his health first soon. He hasn't looked the same since the hit in Game 3.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Sidney Crosby,

He's done it all. He's won Lord Stanley, Art Ross', the Conn Smythe, Gold Medal.
He's a first ballot lock for the HOF. He has nothing to prove to anyone and he's made more money than he knows what to do with.

What is the value of his health? He needs to take a long hard look on the next 50 years of his life. Does he want to live a life with pain and darkness? I think Crosby should retire and maintain what health he has left.

Love,

Arturs Irbe (not the real one)

Translation: He scares the hell outta me whenever he takes the ice. Maybe he should retire before he turns 30 so I can stop shaking in my boots. :laugh:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Naw, Let sid play, it will greatly reduce the load on the zamboni, just send him out for a few laps and the drool will flood the rink for free. If the NHL had any morals they'd shut Sid down but that doesn't fill seats.

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
Translation: He scares the hell outta me whenever he takes the ice. Maybe he should retire before he turns 30 so I can stop shaking in my boots. :laugh:

Translation: I'm scared of losing Crosby so I have to make unsubstantiated claims about people I don't know.

Man, I'm an Oilers fan, I see Crosby twice a year. So scared. :popcorn:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Injuries can happen to anyone... don't go outside

Totally. Injuries can happen to anyone, therefore no one should ever take any precautions. If anything, Crosby should probably make sure he spends his summers fist fighting sharks, because as you said, injuries can happen to anyone and therefore implicitly all risks are completely worth taking. Hell, maybe he can joust with some semi trucks, too.

Crosby will know when it's time. I don't get that he feels it's his time but that can change quickly.

He'll know.

Unfortunately if he hits the point that he "knows" (presumably when he's getting persistent symptoms) it'll likely be too late to prevent chronic cognitive issues. Many chronic brain trauma issues don't arise for years after the traumas themselves, which means he'll have no way of knowing when he's about to hit "too many."

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Very well said. Being cleared to play now just means he's not currently suffering symptoms, it doesn't mean that his brain is fully healthy, damage free, or cleared from risk of future damage.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I get that we worry about concussions and everything now, but seriously...

How many guys played without helmets all those years and they are fine? No dark rooms, no CT scans every week. They just got some sniffing salts and went out there.

A couple of drug addicted enforcers kill themselves and now every time someone bumps their head we want them to retire? Please.

I am not saying we go back to the pre-2000s, but like all things in this society, people are becoming such fragile pansies. Makes we wanna puke sometimes.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't pretend to be concerned cause I'm not and yes, I'm one who does love it when he takes a massive hit but I don't call him Cindy for not getting back up. He's Cindy because he's a whiner who expected the NHL and refs to protect him whenever he was touched, earlier in his career and often still does.

If he continues playing, I'm all for him adding a few more concussions to his melon head.

You're not very nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3