Should Crosby Retire?

yoss

May 25, 2011
Should he retire, idk, not really qualified to say. If symptoms are bad enough probably something to give some serious thought to. Guy loves to play hockey though, probably a hard sell unless it's that severe.

My previous reply to Skobel I'd actually agree with in part if we're talking retirement. I don't think he should've returned these playoffs though. Not this round at least.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Keep playing. I love the game, I love my teammates, I want to win. I make a fantastic living playing a game. I'm still young.

This isn't an easy question to answer, should Crosby retire. Only Crosby can answer that properly. Why does anyone keep playing after injury?

Why did Ciccarelli keep playing after he broke his leg in the Juniors?

Why did Draper keep playing after he got his face caved in?

Why did Dupuis keep playing after his issues? Or Letang? Or anyone?

Because they love to play. That's all the reason they need. Crosby definitely knows the risks and accepts them. Who are we to question it? I'm a fan of a divisional rival, and I wouldn't want to see him call it a career until he feels good and ****ing ready to do so, even if he rips my Devils to ****.

All of those injuries pale in comparison to a broken brain. Bet if an incurable mental illness/injury were suddenly treatable by removing an arm, a leg, and an eye there would be a lot more pirates out on halloween. Physical parts in exchange for the part that is "self".

Crosby will keep going as long as he is an effective player in the league. Just based on his love of it. People saying it's up to him sounds sadly true. IMO the best scenario for him is to find the best brain doctors money can buy and listen to them. (AKA the doc the owner's own is now for stitching booboos)

If time helps these injuries, take a year or 2 off like Mario did. (no idea if that would help, not a doc)

meph

Jan 17, 2012
i really think some of you guys underestimate the fact that the players in general love hockey and competition

if i was in Crosby's position, I'd play until I couldn't anymore and damn the consequences

is it smart? maybe not, but it's not like you can control every single thing that will happen to you, you could stop playing hockey, fall down the stairs the next day and face the same outcome

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Sure, he should. I mean: should. But that is just a recommendation based on objective medical statistics and clinical findings among contact sport athletes with multiple (micro) concussions and shocks to the head.

The prospect of CTE is nothing to joke or laugh about. Who wants to see Sidney the Great to end up the "mike webster" of hockey? :help:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Concussions and severe injuries are no joke. Hockey isn't life. He doesn't owe anyone a darn thing. He should look out for his own well being.

If he should look out. For. His own welll being choosing to play hockey at any level is a completly illogical choice.

What you would do is moot because you are not Sid

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
What I've gathered from this thread is that Sid is clearly too stupid to weigh these options for himself. Man has a sincere death-wish and no protocol or shady back-alley surgeon recognizes this.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
What I've gathered from this thread is that Sid is clearly too stupid to weigh these options for himself. Man has a sincere death-wish and no protocol or shady back-alley surgeon recognizes this.

No need to be sarcastic, kiddo, There is nothing new to this chapter in the books of pro sports. So it goes, kiddo, maan. Sorry but true. Wake up.

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
No need to be sarcastic, kiddo, There is nothing new to this chapter in the books of pro sports. So it goes, kiddo, maan. Sorry but true. Wake up.

Eyes wide open here. Let him decide for himself. He knows exactly what might happen and if he deems practicing his passion is worth the risks then so be it. You can take comfort in knowing he died doing what he loved.

Kiddo? Maan? The ****?

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
To answer the OP: yes. Crosby should retire. It is ridiculous to think he could play infinitely. The timing however is up for debate ;)

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Considering the hate that usually gets lobbed his way, you'll have to forgive some of us if we're slow to trust the sentiments of people that suddenly come out of the woodworks to express concern about his health.

As a fan, I only want what is best for him in the long term. But it's his situation and his call.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I like watching Crosby play and love game 7s like everyone else ... but I hope Crosby skips it. Something's not right with him. For his long term health, please give your head some rest.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Considering the hate that usually gets lobbed his way, you'll have to forgive some of us if we're slow to trust the sentiments of people that suddenly come out of the woodworks to express concern about his health.

As a fan, I only want what is best for him in the long term. But it's his situation and his call.

Wrong. When it comes to concussions and to the brain, it should NEVER be the player's decision. What do you think Crosby is going to say. The man is Captain and the consummate teammate. He's going to play regardless of his health. It's the coaches, organization, NHL, and doctor's job to protect the player from himself. Just look at some former NFL players. It's sad.

There's more to life than hockey. If the average fan is concerned with no dog in the fight ... that should say something. I love Game 7s like everyone else. However, not for the detriment of a player's health for just our entertainment.

I'm skeptical that the NHL and its teams have the player's best interest at heart after the actions of the NFL.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Once he's healthy and if he wants to play who are we to stop him. He's so good because he loves the game. After he's done in the nhl he will probably play in men's leagues.

As for the rushed back thing they did a whole segment on the new study that getting back on the horse and physical activity may be better than waiting for concussions. And it could of been mild they don't know enough about them yet and can only really go by symptoms.

But it's his life if he's medically cleared let him play if he wants. For all we know not being able to play hockey would put him into a deep depression and he would hate his life so who knows.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
After he went into the boards head first, i thought he'd be evaluated. Was surprised he wasn't removed from the game to allow that.

I don't know about retirement, but maybe easing up the minutes a bit.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Once he's healthy and if he wants to play who are we to stop him. He's so good because he loves the game. After he's done in the nhl he will probably play in men's leagues.

As for the rushed back thing they did a whole segment on the new study that getting back on the horse and physical activity may be better than waiting for concussions. And it could of been mild they don't know enough about them yet and can only really go by symptoms.

But it's his life if he's medically cleared let him play if he wants. For all we know not being able to play hockey would put him into a deep depression and he would hate his life so who knows.

There's a big difference between "physical activity" and banging your head again right after a concussion. There's no study that recommends that after a concussion. Come on ... use some common sense. This is not just about our hockey fandom. It's just a game.

"Not being able to play hockey could put him into a deep depression?" Have you not seen what CTE has done to former Steelers? How about not playing him for the short term, so he can have a long term career?

No one can force Sid to retire. That's too drastic. However, to keep putting him on the ice so soon after a concussion and the continued massive hits to the head ... it's questionable at best. The brain is like any muscle / organ. If it gets bruised, it needs time to heal. 1 game rest after Sid's history? Are the NHL and Pens really looking for Sid's best interest?

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Wrong. When it comes to concussions and to the brain, it should NEVER be the player's decision. What do you think Crosby is going to say. The man is Captain and the consummate teammate. He's going to play regardless of his health. It's the coaches, organization, NHL, and doctor's job to protect the player from himself. Just look at some former NFL players. It's sad.

There's more to life than hockey. If the average fan is concerned with no dog in the fight ... that should say something. I love Game 7s like everyone else. However, not for the detriment of a player's health for just our entertainment.

I'm skeptical that the NHL and its teams have the player's best interest at heart after the actions of the NFL.

Excuse me for giving him the benefit of the doubt that he'd make the right decision for himself and discuss these things with people closest to him. It's not like any of us actually know him personally.

Last edited:

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Only Sid and his doctors can answer that. I do find it funny that one of the team doctors is "Dr Recchi" though. ;)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Excuse me for giving him the benefit of the doubt that he'd make the right decision for himself and discuss these things with people closest to him. It's not like any of us actually know him personally.

Yeah ... because professional athletes ALWAYS make the right decisions when it comes to their health. What would fans say if Crosby, the Captain of the Pens, voluntarily sat out Game 6 and 7 after "discussing things with the people closest to him?" Do we not remember what people did to Jay Cutler after he couldn't go against the Packers in the NFC Championship game due to a tear in his knee?

During the playoffs, hockey players play with broken legs, ribs, bruised lungs, separated shoulders, 20 stitches in their face, broken jaws, broken backs, etc. What makes you think Crosby will make the right decision for himself? Crosby is a warrior. Of course his going to put the needs of the team before himself. That's what most good teammates do.

If it were up to him, I have no doubt Crosby would have played in Game 5.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

So, if it should not be up to the players and the NHL doesn't have the best interest of the player at heart, that what do you do? Go by what the doctor says? What if the players sees 4 doctors and their opinions vary?

Faax

Mar 12, 2013
If there was serious risk I don't think Crosby's and his team of doctors would have given him the green light

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad