Should Boughner stay or go?

Boughner Stay or Go

• Total voters

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
this coaching staff is arguably the worst we’ve ever had. It’s Rowe like.

The end product on ice is certainly starting to look like what it was when Rowe was in charge. The only difference is this team has a lot morr tallent offensively.

But the quit is starting to show just like it did with Rowe. And all the others before.

Reactions: PSLguy

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
The end product on ice is certainly starting to look like what it was when Rowe was in charge. The only difference is this team has a lot morr tallent offensively.

But the quit is starting to show just like it did with Rowe. And all the others before.
I see the same exact thing I saw with Rowe. Team had absolutely zero clue how to play defense and on top of that would cheat offensively. As you said the difference is we actually score now because of how talented we are.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice

Rowe was a garbage coach, 24-27-10 record in 61 games.....but to put things into perspective, Boog's first 61 games this season 28-25-8 and first 61 games last season 29-25-6....our starts killed us as usual.

Reactions: Ghoste

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Question: Who is responsible for that Muzzin goal? The four guys playing the the Leafs player along the side board, or Brown screening Monty on the shot? Obviously Brown was in position and did the right thing, and aside from the man playing the Leafs player on the board, what the F**K were the other three doing? And why do we keep seeing this situation happen with us again and again?

These are mistakes that you see happen in the preseason or early in in a season, not in game 70something. These CONSTANT defensive breakdowns fall on the player execution, but to see it happen on a consistent basis, and over the span of almost an entire season, ultimately falls on the lack of coaching.

Has our goaltending cost us terribly this season, ABSOLUTELY, but Boughner deserves just as much of the blame, if not more. Our play lately has been embarrassing!

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Question: Who is responsible for that Muzzin goal? The four guys playing the the Leafs player along the side board, or Brown screening Monty on the shot? Obviously Brown was in position and did the right thing, and aside from the man playing the Leafs player on the board, what the F**K were the other three doing? And why do we keep seeing this situation happen with us again and again?

These are mistakes that you see happen in the preseason or early in in a season, not in game 70something. These CONSTANT defensive breakdowns fall on the player execution, but to see it happen on a consistent basis, and over the span of almost an entire season, ultimately falls on the lack of coaching.

Has our goaltending cost us terribly this season, ABSOLUTELY, but Boughner deserves just as much of the blame, if not more. Our play lately has been embarrassing!
Huberdeau is responsible for the defensive breakdown. It’s 101 level coverage. Do you think Huberdeau needs a new coach? Or he’s playing sloppy Bc he’s missing the playoffs again.

Defensive breakdowns happen and that’s why you need your goalie to stop the saveable chances.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
you know, after the past few weeks seeing monty play well and still get shellacked, i'd have hoped folks would start to reconsider the goalie scapegoating.

i watch a decent amount of non-panthers NHL and almost always watch the out of town feed when i do watch the panthers and i have to say, i've not heard one analyst on any network blame the panthers goaltending. what i have heard a lot is the type of statement i heard from ferraro tonight on the leafs broadcast - "you can see why the panthers have so much trouble on defense; 3 guys trapped deep on a bad shot, no backpressure, easy goal".

i just throw that in there in case folks don't hear that perspective.

i watch the bruins all the time and they tear the team apart when they play poorly.

and speaking of that, the bruins had a tough stretch after that sucky game a couple of weeks ago. they spent a week, week and a half playing crappy hockey - turnovers, poor puck management. you know, the **** we see on a nightly basis with the panthers. and they got their asses kicked. rask and halak looked bad. nobody blamed the goalies. it's way to easy.

we've uncovered a couple of gems and threw them away. i told you all deboer was a great coach when he was here. nobody listens but what else is new?

gallant was clearly too good for this organization.

i think the poster above who said Q would sign with philly is probably right but if there's a time for this organization to step up and find some respectability, this is it.

this roster is too good to throw away more seasons. look at the freaking isles for an example of what a modest roster can accomplish with solid coaching.

two years. poor team play. poor results.

to not make a change at HC is absolutely unacceptable.

I find it weird agreeing with you a lot and wanting you to post more. It's a strange feeling.

Reactions: zeroG and Anakinsky

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Huberdeau is responsible for the defensive breakdown. It’s 101 level coverage. Do you think Huberdeau needs a new coach? Or he’s playing sloppy Bc he’s missing the playoffs again.

Defensive breakdowns happen and that’s why you need your goalie to stop the saveable chances.

Yes, defensive breakdowns happen, but we are seeing the same mistakes night in night out, all season long. We are seeing the same mistakes that we saw one/two/three months ago. That is on lack of preparation, lack of correction by the coaching staff. Which coach that falls on to be exact, we don’t know, but ultimately it falls on the head coach, since he oversees everything.

Reactions: KW

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
It seems to me that if your team is having breakdowns on a regular basis from the start of the season to the end, the coach is not properly utilizing his players.

Reactions: Anakinsky

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Yes, defensive breakdowns happen, but we are seeing the same mistakes night in night out, all season long. We are seeing the same mistakes that we saw one/two/three months ago. That is on lack of preparation, lack of correction by the coaching staff. Which coach that falls on to be exact, we don’t know, but ultimately it falls on the head coach, since he oversees everything.
Every single team makes mistakes. Babcock the great has a team that before the last two games was giving up a similar number of chances as us iirc. It’s a bias towards this being your team and putting them under the microscope. Toronto gave up 5 goals last night and half the people here would cut their arm off for their coach. Sometimes it’s on the players more than the coaching staff. They have to execute. Hockey is not complicated

Do you really think the coach doesn’t tell Huberdeau to cover the d-man? Or tell Tro to backcheck with some effort? Or the d-men not to make cute plays? Matheson alone drags our d quality down significantly.

Coach gets some responsibility but players don’t get enough blame around here

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Every single team makes mistakes. Babcock the great has a team that before the last two games was giving up a similar number of chances as us iirc. It’s a bias towards this being your team and putting them under the microscope. Toronto gave up 5 goals last night and half the people here would cut their arm off for their coach. Sometimes it’s on the players more than the coaching staff. They have to execute. Hockey is not complicated

Do you really think the coach doesn’t tell Huberdeau to cover the d-man? Or tell Tro to backcheck with some effort? Or the d-men not to make cute plays? Matheson alone drags our d quality down significantly.

Sure, but the simple question is... Would you prefer babcock or quenneville or some other proven coach...or boughner?

Or better yet, say your life depended on the Panthers making the playoffs next year (because that's the situation this franchise is in, let's not kid ourselves), who would you want to coach this team? I know the answer isn't boughner.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Sure, but the simple question is... Would you prefer babcock or quenneville or some other proven coach...or boughner?

Or better yet, say your life depended on the Panthers making the playoffs next year (because that's the situation this franchise is in, let's not kid ourselves), who would you want to coach this team? I know the answer isn't boughner.
That’s not my point. My point is we have roster issues. I don’t believe a coach will fix Matheson who is sinking our defense. And our goalies are not making basic saves. Until you upgrade those positions, a coach won’t make a big enough difference. Ya’ll act like we didn’t get 96 points last year and that’s almost always good enough to get In.

How about, would you upgrade the roster or the coaching staff?

Reactions: I am not exposed

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007

Do you believe Huberdeau is ignoring Boughner? If that's the case we definitely need a new coach. That or trade Huberdeau, and I doubt anyone (except for you know who) wants to do that. And if Huberdeau is ignoring Boughner, he's clearly not the only one.

If our players aren't ignoring Boughner then they're getting the wrong instructions, not being utilized properly, and are clearly not being properly motivated which means...we need a new coach.

And I'm not sure it's a great idea to compare the Panthers/Boughner to a 96-point playoff team.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Do you believe Huberdeau is ignoring Boughner? If that's the case we definitely need a new coach. That or trade Huberdeau, and I doubt anyone (except for you know who) wants to do that. And if Huberdeau is ignoring Boughner, he's clearly not the only one.

If our players aren't ignoring Boughner then they're getting the wrong instructions, not being utilized properly, and are clearly not being properly motivated which means...we need a new coach.

And I'm not sure it's a great idea to compare the Panthers/Boughner to a 96-point playoff team.

Hubs made a mistake and might be burnt out after not making the playoffs again. It happens. He’s been strong defensively all season.

Borg is a rookie so his mistakes are understandable

Matheson sucks, he’s awful. If Tallon didn’t sign him long term we’d be on 2 million bridge deal.

Trocheck - who knows but his play has been on a steep decline since he lost Smith

Brown and Weegar are rookie d-men, understable They are making mistakes

96 point is saying he can coach as a way to show results. It’s not fair to only look at this season

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
But it's not just those guys. We've been watching this team play junky defense all year, breakdowns have been a regular occurrence.

I'm sorry, I just won't accept the argument, "This is the roster, the coach can't do anything about it." Good coaches know how to use the players they have. This team has plenty of talent, but for some reason we keep seeing the same crappy play every night.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
But it's not just those guys. We've been watching this team play junky defense all year, breakdowns have been a regular occurrence.

I'm sorry, I just won't accept the argument, "This is the roster, the coach can't do anything about it." Good coaches know how to use the players they have. This team has plenty of talent, but for some reason we keep seeing the same crappy play every night.
That’s fine. I just don’t think our d core is that good and our center depth sucks. On paper this isn’t a strong defensive team. Add in terrible goaltending and things don’t look very good

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
If he is a good coach then fine he can stay.. But he needs a new system. cause this one isn't working... If he is a good coach he should be able to coach different kinds of systems.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I say management holds an open call for some of the posters here to be head coach. Just so we can boooo them :laugh: who's up first?

Guess I'm just in a better mood now that the sun is shining and the snow is melting here.

Or how about GM?

After a couple of bad games next season, all the players would be traded, and we would just have picks and prospects haha.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
That’s not my point. My point is we have roster issues. I don’t believe a coach will fix Matheson who is sinking our defense. And our goalies are not making basic saves. Until you upgrade those positions, a coach won’t make a big enough difference. Ya’ll act like we didn’t get 96 points last year and that’s almost always good enough to get In.

How about, would you upgrade the roster or the coaching staff?

I'm saying we can do both. Upgrade roster and coach, these aren't mutually exclusive.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I'm saying we can do both. Upgrade roster and coach, these aren't mutually exclusive.
I’m not convinced a coach fixes our problems and there are benefits to keeping stability behind the bench.

I’m also not a believer that we will get q or some premium coach. And even if we do, Toronto has defensive issues despite a top tier coach bc of their roster. Hitch was supposed to save Edmonton. Coaches can only do so much

Reactions: I am not exposed

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I’m not convinced a coach fixes our problems and there are benefits to keeping stability behind the bench.

I’m also not a believer that we will get q or some premium coach. And even if we do, Toronto has defensive issues despite a top tier coach bc of their roster. Hitch was supposed to save Edmonton. Coaches can only do so much

So fix the roster and bring in a good coach. Do both.

The stability thing is overrated. It's really not that much of an issue, especially if you're bringing in a good coach and your players don't suck.

Like I've said before, maybe boog is good, maybe he's bad, it's fair to say we don't even really know. But I know there are good coaches available, and it's stupid to go with an unknown into our most important season as a franchise.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
So fix the roster and bring in a good coach. Do both.

The stability thing is overrated. It's really not that much of an issue, especially if you're bringing in a good coach and your players don't suck.

Like I've said before, maybe boog is good, maybe he's bad, it's fair to say we don't even really know. But I know there are good coaches available, and it's stupid to go with an unknown into our most important season as a franchise.

I guess the issue is would they be good with our team. That is also not a guarantee. Hitchcock is regarded as a good coach correct. But after a great start with the Oilers, they have gone back to being really crappy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad