Should Boughner stay or go?

Boughner Stay or Go

• Total voters

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
so it's ok to keep throwing him out there +20min every night then?

either Boog is wrong about Math or you are but he sure as hell thinks that Matheson doesn't lack iq
Boog is wrong. I’ve already said this 100 times. It’s a bad decision. The other issue is we have no other top 4 potential guy

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Boog is wrong. I’ve already said this 100 times. y

... or in a more defensive system where Math doesn't have to do as much he has to do now he could thrive. And he can dominate at times, we've seen it.

Either way it's too early to make the call and some other coach should be given a chance to work with him.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
... or in a more defensive system where Math doesn't have to do as much he has to do now he could thrive. And he can dominate at times, we've seen it.

Either way it's too early to make the call and some other coach should be given a chance to work with him.
Having him play more defense is not the right move imo

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Math will be just fine. This is his worst year. A ton
Of minutes. Same issues with ek before. Like it or not some players take a bit longer to develope. It’s reality. This is a great learning developmental year for him. I have little doubt he will be much better going forward.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Can we stop comparing Ekblad and Matheson?

Ekblad played right after the draft and was NEVER as bad or as close to as bad. He was also contributing offensively each year. Ekblad despite his skating his defensively sound and reliable. He’s also had to deal with concussions. He’s been good playing first pair minutes.

Ekblad is 23, Matheson is 25

Matheson played 3 years in college and spent almost a season in the AHL. Matheson makes terrible play after terrible play. He has obvious upside but the totality of his game is a gigantic net negative

Apples and oranges

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Can we stop comparing Ekblad and Matheson?

Ekblad played right after the draft and was NEVER as bad or as close to as bad. He was also contributing offensively each year. Ekblad despite his skating his defensively sound and reliable. He’s also had to deal with concussions. He’s been good playing first pair minutes.

Ekblad is 23, Matheson is 25

Matheson played 3 years in college and spent almost a season in the AHL. Matheson makes terrible play after terrible play. He has obvious upside but the totality of his game is a gigantic net negative

Apples and oranges
Were not comparing the players just the adjustment and struggles thru big
Minutes

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I think Math is not a dumb player. I think he actually has a high hockey IQ. Its just a learning season from him. Maybe the team relied on him more than they should have. Maybe if there was a veteran, defensive sound Dman to pair with him, things would have been different. I think he can learn from this and become a better player down the road.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think Math is not a dumb player. I think he actually has a high hockey IQ. Its just a learning season from him. Maybe the team relied on him more than they should have. Maybe if there was a veteran, defensive sound Dman to pair with him, things would have been different. I think he can learn from this and become a better player down the road.

The jump from being sheltered on 2nd/3rd pairing to 1st line play is a massive one.
Like most athletes, you're always learning the game every single time you play. Never heard of any D just magically transition from #4/5 to #2/3 without some hiccups.
I know I've learned more from any loss/mistake in life/sport by trial and error.
People want him to be benched but also want him to learn hockey. How do you do that from the bench?

Confident as well he will be better, he'll never be a stud defensive guy but just needs to be better in front of the net and stop the lazy/silly turnovers. His skating is too good to pass up, after 3-4 years, you normally figure out what you have in a player. Needs to bust his ass in offseason and be ready to become a legit #2/3 come October.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Math will be just fine. This is his worst year. A ton
Of minutes. Same issues with ek before. Like it or not some players take a bit longer to develope. It’s reality. This is a great learning developmental year for him. I have little doubt he will be much better going forward.

I hope you're right, I thin you are.

If Matheson could be just "average" next year, it would be huge for the team.

Our Defense would look completely different with an average Matheson and a new top 4 D

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
This is where I am actually too. He’s a good AND smart player. But sometimes when you’re really close to putting it all together you make some glaring mistakes. The best teachers tell you to go for it - sometimes you’ll really blow it, as probabilities would have it.

But next year he’d better have it together or else....

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I hope you're right, I thin you are.

If Matheson could be just "average" next year, it would be huge for the team.

Our Defense would look completely different with an average Matheson and a new top 4 D
But he won’t be average ever. If he cuts out the turnovers he will be dominant. He is way too puck dominant to be average. If the Turnovers continue he will be a liability. I’ve seen him be too good for stretches to believe he can’t turn it around .

Reactions: I am not exposed

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
From what I heard on SiriusXM, Powerplay, this afternoon Phil Housley should be available. They were talking Sabres and said Housley will be fired this summer.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
From what I heard on SiriusXM, Powerplay, this afternoon Phil Housley should be available. They were talking Sabres and said Housley will be fired this summer.

Yikes!

Housley legit might be the worst coach in the NHL! FinlandPanther and KW would be crying to have BB back if we got Housley lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00