Should Boughner stay or go?

Boughner Stay or Go

• Total voters

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I vote other.

Only Capuano has to go. The assistant coaches help in making a "focus" part of a team better, IE the Power Play coach.
I have yet to see what Capuano has done to improve the core in any matter. Time to return him to Long Island.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Boog go. Capuano go. Dumb coaches go.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The scapegoating on coaches and turnover has to end. I say he stays unless there is a clear upgrade willing to come here. Hardest part in hockey imo is identifying a clear upgrade in coaching. Unlike players who are much easier to judge
And turnover? Is that a Matheson reference or did you mean turnovers in general?

Either way, Boog ain't at fault for those.

That's why I'm not voting til i hear a winning argument. So far I think Puma put it best actually. It would be Cappys job to correct whatever the hell 19 has been doin, no?

Last edited:

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Go. But ONLY if it’s for someone like Quenneville. Not another promising up and coming young coach. If it’s that, just keep Boughner and improve his roster. He’s fine.

I think he's a good coach.

1st half 2018 he was implementing his system which were a lot different than what Rowe was doing.
2nd half 2018 we were the best team in the NHL.
1st half 2019 two big injuries: Tro & Luo. Luo was a big one because Bob's style is so wide-open and is very open to a lot of shot on goal.
2nd half 2019 too little too late. Team and him look burnout.

Let him go with again with a better team. I'm interested.

I vote other.

Only Capuano has to go. The assistant coaches help in making a "focus" part of a team better, IE the Power Play coach.
I have yet to see what Capuano has done to improve the core in any matter. Time to return him to Long Island.

Not sure what he is here for? Don't know what part of the team he coaches??

I think I remember something like he was brought in along with Bob to mentor him.

Whoever is in-charge of the PP, keep that guy! :popcorn::clap:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I think he's a good coach.

1st half 2018 he was implementing his system which were a lot different than what Rowe was doing.
2nd half 2018 we were the best team in the NHL.
1st half 2019 two big injuries: Tro & Luo. Luo was a big one because Bob's style is so wide-open and is very open to a lot of shot on goal.
2nd half 2019 too little too late. Team and him look burnout.

Let him go with again with a better team. I'm interested.

Not sure what he is here for? Don't know what part of the team he coaches??

I think I remember something like he was brought in along with Bob to mentor him.

Whoever is in-charge of the PP, keep that guy! :popcorn::clap:

Capuano is, supposedly allegedly, be the one that coaches the Defense. He runs the pairs, rotations, etc.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I'm not sure what everyone is expecting a new coach to do with someone like Matheson. No one is going to magically stop him from having awful turnovers overnight. No one is going to magically make Lu (and Reimer) good(ish) again either.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
And turnover? Is that a Matheson reference or did you mean turnovers in general?

That's why I'm not voting til i hear a winning argument. So far I think Puma put it best actually. It would be Cappys job to correct whatever the hell 19 has been doin, no?
Turnover as in new coach every two years and instability. It has to end

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Turnover as in new coach every two years and instability. It has to end
Of course; stability with a crap coach is better than instability looking for a good coach!!

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Did someone say coach Q? My body is ready....
joelballs.gif

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
2nd half 2018 we were the best team in the

See, looking back I don’t think the second half is reflective on Boughner. I think it came to one of the rare “bigger than sports” moments with MSD. The team found an external reason to rally win, rather than Boughner’s system being learned.

We have something similar this year the Tro returning and Barkov going beast-mode coinciding with win streaks. They team doesn’t get going for Boughner but rather needs an external reason to play well. I think he’s long lost the room or at least the main players. The second half run was literally a miracle run and a year removed we can conclude that is not what Boughner is capable of.

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
See, looking back I don’t think the second half is reflective on Boughner. I think it came to one of the rare “bigger than sports” moments with MSD. The team found an external reason to rally win, rather than Boughner’s system being learned.

We have something similar this year the Tro returning and Barkov going beast-mode coinciding with win streaks. They team doesn’t get going for Boughner but rather needs an external reason to play well. I think he’s long lost the room or at least the main players. The second half run was literally a miracle run and a year removed we can conclude that is not what Boughner is capable of.

If you watch sports for long enough, regardless of the sport, you can begin to tell the difference between poor coaching, and a poor roster/lack of talent. Everything about the Panthers screams putrid coaching. Playing line salad after 2 years, the same excuses/frustrations every night, line mismanagement, bad pairings, lack of identity, late period collapses, long turn around for players to adjust to the new system, letting Domi's punch go unanswered, huge inconsistencies through the season. We are far too talented to show out like we did this season. My fear is we sign Panarin, and just end up a more talented dysfunctional team.

Yeah blue line help and a reliable goalie will make a big difference for us. Probably enough to get us playoffs. Which makes it all the more important to have the right guy behind the bench in a 7 game series against a team like TB or TOR.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

I'd argue that he is at fault because he plays a system that emphasizes those risks. Matheson isn't the only one who creates turnovers I would add Yandle to the list along with some forwards as well, albeit they do it much less often. If the Panthers had a defensive mentality the amount of 3rd period blown leads would be much less and the terrible goalie save percentages would be better since the forwards have a larger defensive responsibility, we really can't blame Matheson for all that.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
The organization has a long tradition of overspending on veteran UFA's and for whatever reason under spending when it comes to proven/veteran NHL coaches.

It would be nice at some point prior to the clock striking midnight on this organization to have a Stanley cup winner head coach behind the bench.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Even though he is flawed, the terrible goaltending is something he has no control over. Case in point:

High danger SV% (HDSaves/HDShots)
1. Jaroslav Halak - 0.891 (171/192)
2. Thomas Greiss - 0.887 (179/204)
3. Pekka Rinne - 0.876 (262/299)
4. David Rittich - 0.864 (171/198)
5. Ben Bishop - 0.863 (207/240)
6. Juuse Saros - 0.857 (138/161)
7. Tuukka Rask - 0.855 (165/193)
8. Jimmy Howard - 0.854 (245/287)
8. Anton Khudobin - 0.854 (152/177)
10. Jacob Markstrom - 0.853 (301/353)

Worst HD SV% (min 100 HDShots)
1. Joonas Korpisalo - 0.766 (95/124)
2. Louis Domingue - 0.787 (111/141)
3. Roberto Luongo - 0.788 (178/226)
4. James Reimer - 0.789 (146/185)

5. Keith Kinkaid - 0.791 (170/215)
5. Aaron Dell - 0.791 (87/110)
7. Mikko Koskinen - 0.792 (190/240)
8. Jake Allen - 0.795 (175/220)
9. Devan Dubnyk - 0.796 (214/269)
10. Martin Jones - 0.802 (259/323)

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

It's extremely difficult to teach hockey sense. You kind of either have it or you don't and I don't think a lot of folks around here realize that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad