Should Boughner stay or go?

Boughner Stay or Go

• Total voters

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Definitely agree with Trotz's quotes, but does everyone think Quennville can fix the defense? I have my doubts, even with all his championships. Alain Vigneault more likely would IMO, at least maybe he can make Yandle play good defense again like in NY and work extra hard with Matheson, idk.

I have my doubts on Q as well dont think he’s the one to right the ship we need a defensive minded coach.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
I have my doubts on Q as well dont think he’s the one to right the ship we need a defensive minded coach.

I dont even know if we need to go that far we have such a talented offense. I just think our coach is not very good and our goalie situation was worse. You need someone you can rely on and be confident in around the net if your going to play that aggressive. It seemed to me as if we did not do either. Too scared to play aggressive and fore check because of the situation.

Tampa is not very defensive minded and look where they stand.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
So we get a defensive minded assistant coach..

How much influence does an assistant coach have on a philosophy of how to play the game? Most likely zero the coach feels whatever his system is, is the best system and the assistant helps support what is already there.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
cap is our power kill coach.he has done an outstanding job. i believe the 2nd best short handed team in the league and when we play his system 5 on 5 we arent bad.
How much influence does an assistant coach have on a philosophy of how to play the game? Most likely zero the coach feels whatever his system is, is the best system and the assistant helps support what is already there.
Maybe it's me or the people I've been around, but I was always under the impression that strategy is just a part of the coaching job...

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Everyone is blowing systems and such way out of proportion. We don’t have defensive minded players. We don’t have physical players. We have a ton of offensive minded skill players. We have a ton of young inexperienced d men. We don’t have a single veteran defensive d. The roster itself needs more balance

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Everyone is blowing systems and such way out of proportion. We don’t have defensive minded players. We don’t have physical players. We have a ton of offensive minded skill players. We have a ton of young inexperienced d men. We don’t have a single veteran defensive d. The roster itself needs more balance

Who is that for the Islanders? Hickey? He has only played 40 games.....I dont see any of them as a defensive D

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Their entire roster is full of low risk players that aren’t known for offense.

So if they arent known for offense, does that automatically make them accountable on defense? The Islanders also have one dimensional players, and players who arent better than some of our forwards defensively.

If the roles were reversed (switched coaches), and we went through the exact same season we went through, you dont think Trotz would get us an extra win a month?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
So if they arent known for offense, does that automatically make them accountable on defense? The Islanders also have one dimensional players, and players who arent better than some of our forwards defensively.

If the roles were reversed (switched coaches), and we went through the exact same season we went through, you dont think Trotz would get us an extra win a month?
Not with our goaltending I doubt it. It’s easier to play defense when your players aren’t trying to make plays in all 3 zones and always thinking offense. Different mentality on the ice. Not even comparable. Add in the goaltending they got.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
It’s coaching and players.

They have an experienced D core and a physical team that can make it difficult to get through the neutral zone. They also have had excellent goaltending. Their goalies don’t give up soft goals. If you play defense first and your goalies give up goals that should get saved like ours did almost all season you’ll never win. The islanders also have a pretty veteran heavy team which will be more responsible defensively.

If we tried their system our goalies would blow it and we wouldn’t score enough. We are also not a physical/tough team to play against. Our d doesn’t make good decisions with the puck like theirs does bc our d is inexperienced and Matheson sucks.

Our defense has a higher ceiling but a much much lower floor and a lot of our issues are puck management, not structure. Matheson is a disaster with the puck. Yandle the last 10-15 games has been abysmal in his own zone when he has the puck

The islanders playing more conservative still gave up a bunch of odd man rushes. Let’s not pretend like it was some shutdown performance with no mistakes. They had their stretches of lock down d but we could have had a few goals by the end of the second if we didn’t blow our chances. I think we had more odd man rushes than they did.

Our problems are getting the puck out of the zone, usually by being too slow to move it or too stupid to make the safe play. Unforced turnovers are not a positioning or coaching issue, it’s a stupid player issue.

Last edited:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

They have an experienced D core and a physical team that can make it difficult to get through the neutral zone. They also have had excellent goaltending. Their goalies don’t give up soft goals. If you play defense first and your goalies give up shots that get should get saved like ours did almost all season you’ll never win. The islanders also have a pretty veteran heavy team which will be more responsible defensively.

If we tried their system our goalies would blow it and we wouldn’t score enough. We are also not a physical/tough team to play against. Our d doesn’t make good decisions with the puck like theirs does bc our d is inexperienced and Matheson sucks.

Our defense has a higher ceiling but a much much lower floor and a lot of our issues are puck management, not structure. Matheson is a disaster with the puck. Yandle the last 10-15 games has been abysmal in his own zone when he has the puck

The islanders playing more conservative still gave up a bunch of odd man rushes. Let’s not pretend like it was some shutdown performance with no mistakes. They had their stretches of lock down d but we could have had a few goals by the end of the second if we didn’t blow our chances. I think we had more odd man rushes than they did.

Our problems are getting the puck out of the zone, usually by being too slow to move it or too stupid to make the safe play. Unforced turnovers are not a positioning or coaching issue, it’s a stupid player issue.

I can agree with your assessment. My problem with what you said is with the last couple of sentences. I agree with them, but the mistakes do not fall on the players only, its the coaches job to first notice the mistakes, and second, correct them. Bob kept going on about how he has video on each player, how he thought he saw their game develop, and how he could help them improve. Its worked in some cases, but not across the board. I dont think that Matty is dumb enough to think that drop pass will work all the time, or that its not a bad habit of his, but we still see him do it. We still see our Dmen make the high risk play to get out of our zone, while the safest play tends to be also the easiest play. Yes, that is a "stupid player issue," but that also falls on the coaching staff.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I can agree with your assessment. My problem with what you said is with the last couple of sentences. I agree with them, but the mistakes do not fall on the players only, its the coaches job to first notice the mistakes, and second, correct them. Bob kept going on about how he has video on each player, how he thought he saw their game develop, and how he could help them improve. Its worked in some cases, but not across the board. I dont think that Matty is dumb enough to think that drop pass will work all the time, or that its not a bad habit of his, but we still see him do it. We still see our Dmen make the high risk play to get out of our zone, while the safest play tends to be also the easiest play. Yes, that is a "stupid player issue," but that also falls on the coaching staff.
Not every player is capable of playing at a high level in the NHL though. The idea that a coach can fix all players is flawed.

Our coaches are telling them what the right play is and the safe play. It’s not like they don’t tell so and so they should have done x instead of y.

And as I said, our d has a lower floor. Give me some experience on d with no coaching change and we’ll see an immediate improvement

Reactions: I am not exposed

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Not every player is capable of playing at a high level in the NHL though. The idea that a coach can fix all players is flawed.

Our coaches are telling them what the right play is and the safe play. It’s not like they don’t tell so and so they should have done x instead of y.

And as I said, our d has a lower floor. Give me some experience on d with no coaching change and we’ll see an immediate improvement

Yeah, players aren't robots. Well, maybe Barkov is! haha.

Reactions: RainingRats

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

They have an experienced D core and a physical team that can make it difficult to get through the neutral zone. They also have had excellent goaltending. Their goalies don’t give up soft goals. If you play defense first and your goalies give up goals that should get saved like ours did almost all season you’ll never win. The islanders also have a pretty veteran heavy team which will be more responsible defensively.

..but half of our guys didn't play defense first for most of the year.

31 teams x 6 active defensemen = ...out of 186 defensemen. We had 3 of the top 8 giveaway leaders of all 186 active defensemen. Fathom that, all while considering the magnitude of many of those giveaways, and afterwards- please tell me how you don't pin it on our defense first.

And when @Pumaconcolorcoryi posts his list in the upcoming...L before R...Luongo grade thread, I'll be re-viewing and counting every goal (with a summary of each) in every loss (cuz it doesn't make sense to critique the wins lol).

I'll have plenty of time considering all that free time from June til October...

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
..but half of our guys didn't play defense first for most of the year.

31 teams x 6 active defensemen = ...out of 186 defensemen. We had 3 of the top 8 giveaway leaders of all 186 active defensemen. Fathom that, all while considering the magnitude of many of those giveaways, and afterwards- please tell me how you don't pin it on our defense first.

And when @Pumaconcolorcoryi posts his list in the upcoming...L before R...Luongo grade thread, I'll be re-viewing and counting every goal (with a summary of each) in every loss (cuz it doesn't make sense to critique the wins lol).

I'll have plenty of time considering all that free time from June til October...

Nah.

I'm talked out on this year. I ain't getting baited to the same discussion and I'm not reliving this bullshit.

Come on down Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->