Should Anderson stay or should he go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Three years give us sufficient time to get an other number one goalie and maybe at that time, Andy can become our back-up goalie. The guy has class, and his really appreciated by his teammates and could act as a good mentor to a younger goaltender.

That's what he's doing right now. Insulating a younger goalie. If not him though it can be someone else. We have a great goalie coach for mentoring

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
IMO Sens should trade Anderson and give Lehner the net for rest of this season to get his game on track. Sens need to rebuild w young talent who can peak w our young studs. We need a big young centre w skill, like Mikhail Grigorenko.

Since this season may be BM's last hurrah, I expect Sens will fumble along in denial...with no specific plan. Team values loyalty to old vets #4, 9 >> winning

Why can't Lehner use practice to get his game back on track? Rebound control and finding your net really are practice things.

Last edited:

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
I didn't want to start another threat for this. But is Anderson one of, if not the, most underrated goalies in the NHL. The guy is currently putting out a .928 on a team that has one of the worst defenses in the NHL. People may pointment at his previous years and say that he's up and down year to year, and they would be right, but the important thing is that he go us the wins (or at least the extra point) last year and in 2012.

IMO he is probably about the 7th or 8th best goalie in the NHL today and I think he will stay there for at least the remainder of his contract.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Best goaltender (aside from a little bit of a Hasek) that this franchise has ever had. We'd be absolute morons to let him leave.

He's put up gaudy save percentages like Tugnutt did and he had a .500 record in the playoffs. Lost the big game against Rangers, got blown to shreds by Pittsburgh and won a series against Montreal. Nothing about this screams "best" to me. He's a guy that can throw a 40+ save shutout then if he lets in a bad goal, slump his shoulders and roll his eyes and do the martyr thing, all the while poking fingers at the rest of the team. We'll never win a Cup with Andy.

Lehner? Potential is there, absolutely dramatic saves at times and the mettle and spirit of a winner, in fact he HAS won. The longer we keep Anderson around the longer Lehner's potential and skill atrophies and the longer we wait for a Cup.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
He's put up gaudy save percentages like Tugnutt did and he had a .500 record in the playoffs. Lost the big game against Rangers, got blown to shreds by Pittsburgh and won a series against Montreal. Nothing about this screams "best" to me. He's a guy that can throw a 40+ save shutout then if he lets in a bad goal, slump his shoulders and roll his eyes and do the martyr thing, all the while poking fingers at the rest of the team. We'll never win a Cup with Andy.

Lehner? Potential is there, absolutely dramatic saves at times and the mettle and spirit of a winner, in fact he HAS won. The longer we keep Anderson around the longer Lehner's potential and skill atrophies and the longer we wait for a Cup.

So the positives for Lehner is your analysis he has the spirit of a winner and Anderson only has a playoff series win? Aka our only playoff series win since our cup run I believe.

What makes Lehner have the spirit of a winner while Andy doesn't anyway? Anderson has to work his way into the NHL. His persistence seems like the spirit of a winner to me.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The fact that Eddie Vedder is a Wholigan of the highest order has always made me like Pearl Jam.

Oh yeah, err, Andy's gotta stay. Funny after allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll these years of wanting, clamoring, begging for a No.1 goalie, now people want to get rid of him!

There is merit to considering what is done about Anderson

This team is terrible, there is no more getting around it

For the last two years I expected them to be a bubble team and instead we get two bottom-10 finishes. Enough sugar-coating: the Ottawa Senators blow chunks.

I'm not saying Anderson should be traded (I wouldn't) but let's not act like there wouldn't be a few scenarios were trading him could make sense since we are awful.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Gimme Grigorenko or bust

Why can't Lehner use practice to get his game back on track? Rebound control and finding your net really are practice things.

Key point is...move Andy now for young C >6'2". Plan for success NEXT YR. Lehner needs game action, not practice.

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015
Key point is...move Andy now for young C >6'2". Plan for success NEXT YR. Lehner needs game action, not practice.

We've been trading or letting go good players for the pass years, Heatley, Alfredsson, Spezza, Kuba, Fisher, Vermette and more. with the hope of getting either younger players, good return and better drafts position for the next year and it almost looks like we're always back to square one.

It almost feel like we have been in rebuild mode for the last 6 years, and every time we make one step forward, and we have a bad year, then we take two steps backward by trading our best assets.

Lets stop trading our best players as this is not a way to rebuild. Even in the best dream possible, getting the number one or two draft pick, it will take several years before that player develops to his top potential, and by then, we will be talking about trading Turris an company as we will be complaining that they're getting too old.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
We've been trading or letting go good players for the pass years, Heatley, Alfredsson, Spezza, Kuba, Fisher, Vermette and more. with the hope of getting either younger players, good return and better drafts position for the next year and it almost looks like we're always back to square one.

It almost feel like we have been in rebuild mode for the last 6 years, and every time we make one step forward, and we have a bad year, then we take two steps backward by trading our best assets.

Lets stop trading our best players as this is not a way to rebuild. Even in the best dream possible, getting the number one or two draft pick, it will take several years before that player develops to his top potential, and by then, we will be talking about trading Turris an company as we will be complaining that they're getting too old.

Totally agree it's time to stop trading our good players and build upon what we have. Heck if we decided to keep Fisher and Vermette were probably way better off right now. Turris-Vermette-Fisher would be a pretty nice middle.

Murray keeps faking me out, right when I'm ready to have him leave we end up doing good and I'm like well let's see where this goes. Weve been spinning our wheels ever since.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Anderson "lost the big game" by giving up 2 goals in 29 shots with a .931 Save Percentage against the top team in the Eastern Conference? I wish other Senator goalies could lose "big games" like that.

And I'm the biggest Tugnutt fan, but he never put up "gaudy" numbers as a Senator. His best year was .925 and that was with 43 starts but his total average as a Sen was around .905

Anderson, as a Senator, has a save percentage around .920.

And please, for the love of all that is holy, will the MYTH of Robin Lehner Supreme Winner and Eater of Worlds please die?! He had ONE amazing run with a very good AHL Cup run behind a team where a good chunk of the players were hot coming off a successful, albeit short, NHL term. Before that, he was unable to get the starting job to Barry Brust. After that, he lost his job to the back-up they signed after Brust left.

Since then, his "spirit of a winner" had him comically melt down against the Canadiens last year and throw up an absolute stinker against our biggest rival, Toronto, where shots from the blue line with no traffic were going in.

The level of spin in this one post borders on delusional. I'll wait for a response, but your history has shown that your forte is making outrageous claims then never providing any concrete proof of said claims.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Anderson "lost the big game" by giving up 2 goals in 29 shots with a .931 Save Percentage against the top team in the Eastern Conference? I wish other Senator goalies could lose "big games" like that.

And I'm the biggest Tugnutt fan, but he never put up "gaudy" numbers as a Senator. His best year was .925 and that was with 43 starts but his total average as a Sen was around .905

And please, for the love of all that is holy, will the MYTH of Robin Lehner Supreme Winner and Eater of Worlds please die?! He had ONE amazing run with a very good AHL Cup run behind a team where a good chunk of the players were hot coming off a successful, albeit short, NHL term. Before that, he was unable to get the starting job to Barry Brust. After that, he lost his job to the back-up they signed after Brust left.

Since then, his "spirit of a winner" had him comically melt down against the Canadiens last year and throw up an absolute stinker against our biggest rival, Toronto, where shots from the blue line with no traffic were going in.

The level of spin in this one post borders on delusional. I'll wait for a response, but your history has shown that your forte is making outrageous claims then never providing any concrete proof of said claims.

That's a beauty post.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Totally agree it's time to stop trading our good players and build upon what we have. Heck if we decided to keep Fisher and Vermette were probably way better off right now. Turris-Vermette-Fisher would be a pretty nice middle. ...

It's fine to be a nostalgic fan...but Fisher? IMO it's our loyalty to old vets like #4, 9 that's holding us back. $ that coulda gone to better use UFA. Having Lehner ride the bench is wasting a fine asset...maybe give him BigRig's icetime ;)

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It's fine to be a nostalgic fan...but Fisher? IMO it's our loyalty to old vets like #4, 9 that's holding us back. $ that coulda gone to better use UFA. Having Lehner ride the bench is wasting a fine asset...maybe give him BigRig's icetime ;)

8 goals 8 assists I guess that kind of lines up with Legwand so I suppose they're similar.

We could always trade Lehner so we aren't wasting an asset.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario

Amen. Anderson has, by far, been the best goalie this franchise has ever had. Hasek was better for half a season, but Anderson has been great for years now.

Imagine if we had Anderson from 2001-2007? We probably have a few cups.

I think its funny that the post you responded to talks about Andy blaming the team...Lehner seems far worse for that IMO. He gives the D "Lehner eyes" after half the goals he lets in. He is visually upset with them quite often.

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015

And you know what, everyone here would dream to have a Carey Price type of goalie in Ottawa, but without considering MTL game yesterday, Andersson and Price were event on save percentage (.923). The only difference is that Andersson did it while he had a weaker team in front of him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Minnesota got a goalie

No one wants a goalie

Anderson isn't going anywhere until maybe the off-season

Lol well they got Dubnyk... They might be calling in the very near future haha.

Injuries happen too ya never know someone elite may have a goaltender get hurt and they are primed and ready for a run.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hmm. New HFSens power couple... BonkLeclaire? ChocoTastic?

-Fusion-dragon-ball-z-35957344-377-207.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad