Should Anderson stay or should he go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Then Minny for a 1st.

No way Minny sends a 1st for Anderson. Bottom 10 in the league right now and their is still plenty of hockey to be played. Minny fans are already committed to the tank. Minny will most likely just ride out the season and make changes in the offseason.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
My concern is that after his last few starts, public opinion is quickly turning on Robin Lehner (unfairly IMO). If the team trades Andy and Lehner continues to struggle, the fans will make Lehner's life miserable.

Case in point, check out Pavelic in Winnipeg. The crowd boos him every time he's out there and lets in even one goal.

There are already a lot of fans angry that Bishop was traded and has done so well. Can you imagine the backlash if we traded Andy and he suddenly plays amazing for a contender and wins a Cup over the next few years while Lehner grows into the starting role?

I actually dont think there would be back lash aside from delusional fans or if we get poor value. A contender with Anderson is on another level from where the sens are and will be in the near future.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
No way Minny sends a 1st for Anderson. Bottom 10 in the league right now and their is still plenty of hockey to be played. Minny fans are already committed to the tank. Minny will most likely just ride out the season and make changes in the offseason.

Desperate teams do desperate things. See Gaustad bringing in a 1st.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
My proposal was Andy+Wier to Minnesota 2016 1st+2015 2nd+Lucia i think thats a solid return. No chance Minnesota risk a top 10 pick when they need a number 1 center almost as much as a goalie.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
My proposal was Andy+Wier to Minnesota 2016 1st+2015 2nd+Lucia i think thats a solid return. No chance Minnesota risk a top 10 pick when they need a number 1 center almost as much as a goalie.

But what value is a low first round pick next year? Next year's draft is labelled as one of the worst in a decade. It's Milano and then...???

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

The time to be desperate was weeks ago. Now they are 8 points out of the playoff spot. Extremely doubt they trade for a 1st.

And their problems run much deeper than goaltending.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Minnesota was sitting in a very good position playoff-wise and that trade was made to beef them up for the playoffs. No different than when Ottawa was a contender and they'd move first round picks for rentals to try and win a Cup.

This would be a possible-franchise altering pick (top 10) for an older goalie who doesn't have the best reputation for being consistent with 3 years left on his deal.

What do they do with Backstrom's two years left on his deal? Do they trade Kuemper to us?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I actually dont think there would be back lash aside from delusional fans or if we get poor value. A contender with Anderson is on another level from where the sens are and will be in the near future.

He won't be traded within the Atlantic and like you said we aren't going to be contenders in the next seasons unless something changes dramatically. I don't see any backlash either if the return is good, and if management decides to trade Andy it will be for a very good return I'm sure. My concern with trading Anderson is more of what kind of effect it would have on Lehner. I doubt we are contenders until Andy is past his prime...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
The time to be desperate was weeks ago. Now they are 8 points out of the playoff spot. Extremely doubt they trade for a 1st.

And their problems run much deeper than goaltending.

Not so sure about that. They score at a solid pace and allow the least or near the bottom of the league in shots. Their issues are to do with depth making up for injuries, a true number one center and having ahlers on their bottom pairing. The goaltending and bottom pairing shouldnt be hard to address this off season and they might be able to grab a near nhl ready center if they finish around 5. Suter and Parise might be in a weak emotional state with the loss of their fathers too.

They are a prime bounce back candidate next year imo

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Imagine how hard it would be to fail a poll like this. Joke is good

There's absolutely no point in trading Anderson if we mean we get more "depth" assets (and I'm even talking about a late 1st, maybe except this year if the pick is in the top-22/23...). You always need more quality so unless we can package Andy and get a high quality asset, there's no reason to do it. And it won't be done because NHL managements think differently than hockey fans.

Prospects and picks who need 5 years to really develop won't make this team better, The core is 20-25 y/o, need assets in that range, but not quantity. We need quality, aka Bobby Ryan type of trade, or even Turris type of trade.

Suter and Parise might be in a weak emotional state with the loss of their fathers too.

Wait... Suter's dad died too?

Last edited:

GSG1165

Sep 9, 2010
Ottawa
Depends on what's offered. We'd need a solid backup next year though or a young goalie as I don't think Lehner should play over 50 games.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Trade him as soon as we have an NHL ready goalie to take over.

So - no, of course we shouldn't trade him. If we had Bishop still... then we could. brb, have another pot to stir. ;)

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The real question is should Ottawa have kept Bishop and sent Lehner back to the ahl?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Trading Anderson puts Lehner in a very tough spot. The kid still needs insulation big time. It takes some goalies years to turn into legit starters, throwing Lehner to the wolves right now is probably the best way to break him.

The only reason to trade Anderson would be to tank, and even then the Sens would have a hard time sucking enough to get a top 5 pick. Its just not worth potentially destroying the goalie that the franchise has banked itself on.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The real question is should Ottawa have kept Bishop and sent Lehner back to the ahl?

Bishop was looking to be a starter

Now I know some people on here complain that Murray isn't ruthless enough but there's no point in keeping a guy who is starter material as a backup just because you can

That and Lehner wasn't going to back to the AHL, he made that clear and management caved

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Bishop was looking to be a starter

Now I know some people on here complain that Murray isn't ruthless enough but there's no point in keeping a guy who is starter material as a backup just because you can

That and Lehner wasn't going to back to the AHL, he made that clear and management caved
I think they told Bishop that they would move him to a good place.

Has Murray ever sent a player to a bad team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad