Should Anderson stay or should he go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2010
No thanks to rebuilding the rebuild.

That's all we have been doing since Heatley got traded.

It's just an excuse not to spend.

Keep Anderson, re-sign Methot , trade some extra bodies maybe with a prospect for top 6 forward and go from there.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Keep Anderson, re-sign Methot , trade some extra bodies maybe with a prospect for top 6 forward and go from there.

If you tear down your house and rebuild it and the new construction has a leaky roof and cracks in the foundation you're going to need to tear down a good amount of the new construction before you can live in it.

I would totally understand the "don't tear it down again" point of view if the rebuild had been successful. But the truth is that the half hearted "rebuild" the sense did was an utter failure. This team is not even close to being a contender and in fact, is pretty far from even being competitive in terms of making the playoffs.

This team needs at least a partial rebuild, this will only be accomplished by trading Anderson.

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015
If you tear down your house and rebuild it and the new construction has a leaky roof and cracks in the foundation you're going to need to tear down a good amount of the new construction before you can live in it.

I would totally understand the "don't tear it down again" point of view if the rebuild had been successful. But the truth is that the half hearted "rebuild" the sense did was an utter failure. This team is not even close to being a contender and in fact, is pretty far from even being competitive in terms of making the playoffs.

This team needs at least a partial rebuild, this will only be accomplished by trading Anderson.

Like your example but we have no problem with our foundation, it's the roof which is leaking. So don't touch what isn't broken, no trade for Anderson

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Over the next 2 seasons we need 2 high 1st rounders and 2 high 2nd rounders to complete the build. If we can package some players to get a few more high picks would make the most sense.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Like your example but we have no problem with our foundation, it's the roof which is leaking. So don't touch was is not broken, no trade for Anderson

I respectfully disagree. I'd say a first line, and in particular a first line centre is one of the foundations of a championship team.

Right now we arguably have only one first line forward at best and he's a winger.

Over the next 2 seasons we need 2 high 1st rounders and 2 high 2nd rounders to complete the build. If we can package some players to get a few more high picks would make the most sense.

Agreed.

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015
I respectfully disagree. I'd say a first line, and in particular a first line centre is one of the foundations of a championship team.

Right now we arguably have only one first line forward at best and he's a winger.

Agreed.

Not in line with you at all, every good GM will tell you that you build a team from net forward. Without a good goaltender and good defenses, you won't win the cup. The logic his there, you can loose a game if you don't get scored on.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Trading Andy would be crazy. Lehner hasn't shown that he's capable of being a number one in the league, let alone usurping what is arguably a top 10 goalie in Andy.

I would have considered trading Andy when his value was highest when we had both Bishop and Lehner. No way now.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

There are probably a few guys that need to go before they trade Anderson, although he could be their best asset to move at the deadline or the guy who gets the best return, if that's what they want. However, it will be interesting how many moves they actually make, traditionally they only make one or two moves at the deadline. Somehow, I don't see them trading five or six guys, one or two at the most would be my guess.

1. If possible trade Condra at the deadline, if unable to trade him don't re-sign him.
2. If possible trade Greening at the deadline, if not, waive him & buy him out.
3. If possible trade Legwand at the deadline, if not we're stuck for another yr.
4. If Phillips will allow it, trade him at the deadline, if not stuck with him too.
5. They should send Lazar back to junior before he plays 40 games.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Not in line with you at all, every good GM will tell you that you build a team from net forward. Without a good goaltender and good defenses, you won't win the cup. The logic his there, you can loose a game if you don't get scored on.

First, I said one of the cornerstones. I agree you build from the net out. I still believe Lehner can be the guy. I also think with a little strategic retreat we can draft a defenseman who can complete a very solid potential top four of Karlsson, Ceci, and Cowen (a guy that we are currently missing and that Methot is not, not with his back issues and questionable desire to even stick around).

Second, look at the recent cup champs. Show me a team that didn't have legitimate centre depth in addition to top goaltending and defence. The league is too deep now to get by on just one of these.

In the last 10 years every cup winner has had at least one centre who is significantly better than any centre on the sens right now.

Who is going to be that centre for the sens if they're about to win a cup? Zibanejad? I'd love to see that kind of development but it isn't about to happen. This draft has more than one guy with that potential. It's time to call the strategic retreat.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Main was being sarcastic i believe. Can't tell if you are though lol even with the smiley thing. Main has been a noted Lehner detractor since i came on this board and i've seen him support andy quite a few times.

I expect a lot more from today's players than the societal standard. All the threads and posts from 2 - 3 years ago saying to give Lehner the starting role...

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Which good GM told you that?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Trading Andy would be crazy. Lehner hasn't shown that he's capable of being a number one in the league, let alone usurping what is arguably a top 10 goalie in Andy.

I would have considered trading Andy when his value was highest when we had both Bishop and Lehner. No way now.
But Bishop wasn't proven?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Murray just basically confirmed in his recent interview that it is unlikely that he will trade Anderson. So there is that.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Murray just basically confirmed in his recent interview that it is unlikely that he will trade Anderson. So there is that.

I believe his direct quote was, "Why would I do that?" That is a polite way of saying, "Are you out of your #$%$ing mind?" One of Murray's points was that the organization simply doesn't have a third NHL ready goaltender right now. This is a fact few consider when they go on their "trade Andy" campaigns.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I believe his direct quote was, "Why would I do that?" That is a polite way of saying, "Are you out of your #$%$ing mind?" One of Murray's points was that the organization simply doesn't have a third NHL ready goaltender right now. This is a fact few consider when they go on their "trade Andy" campaigns.

Last year when he was asked if he would consider trading Anderson, he bristled at the suggestion and made a comment along the lines of Anderson being a team leader and seeing him with the franchise for several years.

I think Murray sees Anderson as less of a goalie and more of a required veteran presence in the room. And a mentor to Lehner.

sens2k9

Aug 8, 2008
I think a lot of people underestimate the impact of a veteran goaltender on a young roster. Look at the Islanders. Now look at the Oilers.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Last year when he was asked if he would consider trading Anderson, he bristled at the suggestion and made a comment along the lines of Anderson being a team leader and seeing him with the franchise for several years.

I think Murray sees Anderson as less of a goalie and more of a required veteran presence in the room. And a mentor to Lehner.

He's all those things which is why it would be crazy to trade him

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

What if Murray gets a goalie in return?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think a lot of people underestimate the impact of a veteran goaltender on a young roster. Look at the Islanders. Now look at the Oilers.

Put Halak/Johnson in Edmonton and Scrivens/Fasth in NYI and believe me both these teams are in a similar position even with different goaltenders. NYI is a much much much better team, you can't even compare. They just got Boychuk and Leddy which helped their defense so much and their offense is just ridiculous. Halak is not as good as people think, the team in front of him is just really really good. Look at how Fasth was playing with the Ducks, and now with the Oilers. Probably a good comparable at how Halak would look with the Oilers. There are a lot of things that need to be better with the Oilers and I agree with you that goaltending is one of them but your comparison is way off. Not like the Edm would be in a playoff spot with Halak in net. Anderson would be an act of god for them, which is probably more of what you meant.

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015
First, I said one of the cornerstones. I agree you build from the net out. I still believe Lehner can be the guy. I also think with a little strategic retreat we can draft a defenseman who can complete a very solid potential top four of Karlsson, Ceci, and Cowen (a guy that we are currently missing and that Methot is not, not with his back issues and questionable desire to even stick around).

Second, look at the recent cup champs. Show me a team that didn't have legitimate centre depth in addition to top goaltending and defence. The league is too deep now to get by on just one of these.

In the last 10 years every cup winner has had at least one centre who is significantly better than any centre on the sens right now.

Who is going to be that centre for the sens if they're about to win a cup? Zibanejad? I'd love to see that kind of development but it isn't about to happen. This draft has more than one guy with that potential. It's time to call the strategic retreat.

And believe me, I also hope Lehner can be our next number one goalie, but he hasn't shown it this year. So if we trade Anderson, and Lehner plays terrible for the rest of the year, should we be shopping for a number one or number two goalie? With Anderson we know what we have. I would take a chance and trade Lehner, and in one or two years, look for a replacement for the number one position while using Anderson as the backup.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
And believe me, I also hope Lehner can be our next number one goalie, but he hasn't shown it this year. So if we trade Anderson, and Lehner plays terrible for the rest of the year, should we be shopping for a number one or number two goalie? With Anderson we know what we have. I would take a chance and trade Lehner, and in one or two years, look for a replacement for the number one position while using Anderson as the backup.

I'd be ok with this in theory but it still does not address our lack of a legitimate first line centre.

Aside from very rare exceptions you only get those through the draft.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Anderson is our MVP. Easily. Even over Karlsson. Trading him would be idiotic if you want to win hockey games. Since Murray wants to win hockey games and not tank... And he signed Anderson for 3 seasons after this one... His reaction should be pretty much expected.

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015
I'd be ok with this in theory but it still does not address our lack of a legitimate first line centre.

Aside from very rare exceptions you only get those through the draft.

Maybe, but if we need to go through draft to get a number one center, we may as well stay status quos. As some are suggesting that Zibanejad may end-up being as good or better then Toews, so we already have our future first line center. What I don't like is that in both situations we are talking about long term projects.

I personally don't see Zibanejab as our future first line center, but then again this is my opinion, and if he turned out to be, then we are still talking about 3 or 4 years before it happens. What I would prefer would be to see getting a first line center for next year and I would use Zibanejad as a trading asset. One way or the other, if we get a first line center, Turris will play as the second, Pageau third and Smith or Legwand forth. We can't expect Zibanejad to play on our third or forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad