Player Discussion Shea Weber: Oh Captain, My Captain Edition

Is This The End?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
A bad trade would imply we lost, we didn’t.

A good trade would imply we won, we didn’t.

We got the better player IMO but it didn’t help us get any closer to winning or rebuilding.

No bad, no good.

Trade at the time was bad.
We got the worse & older player.

Injuries (which early on seemed to be a compounding negative for Weber with his foot issue right after PK won a Norris & led Nash to a cup appearance) have changed the perception of the "winner".... But that could easily flip again if PK gets healthy & Weber faces health adversity.

Bottom line remains that Nashville did better at the time, and got better on ice dividends... For all the talk of Weber's leadership impact, the only thing he's led this team to thus far is 1 legit playoffs in 4 seasons, and 3 straight regular seasons out of the playoffs. (Not his fault... But undermines these anecdotal claims about how positive his leadership influence has been)

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Of course Habs won the trade. Was listening to the Canadiens Connection Podcast a couple of weeks ago, and both hosts put the Weber trade the number 1 best move by Bergevin when doing his best 5 and worst 5 transactions list.

There's just no way that's his best move , Suzuki/Tatar/Norlinder for Pacioretty is going to do way more for us than Weber ever could. I'm not going to revisit the trade since there are a lot of elements that some don't want to acknowledge (would P.K have followed the same downward path if not traded? What have we accomplished with Weber's best years very likely behind him?). Trading for futures type moves are the only ones that send us in the right direction , leadership qualities are important but they are sometimes overstated (see: overrated) around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

Habaholic25

Oct 22, 2020
Absolutely......you don’t need to win a cup to win a trade......the Subban trade gave us our captain, a pillar on our defence, a point producer.....

The Weber trade gave The Preds Santini.....who they just put on waivers lol

Agreed. I'm getting annoyed at the Bergevin hate that people won't drop. It's 2020, not 2016 or 2017 anymore. Bergevin unloaded Subban at the right time (before the NMC kicked in). Of course we wanted to get PLD+ but it didn't work out. We took Weber and it worked out. What was the alternative? Keep Subban, let the NMC kick in, and be stuck with him? How would that look like today?

Reactions: feds91 and jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
A bad trade would imply we lost, we didn’t.

A good trade would imply we won, we didn’t.

We got the better player IMO but it didn’t help us get any closer to winning or rebuilding.

No bad, no good.
I agree with you literally 99.9999999%

In a way you’re right but wrong.

With Subban still with us, we have ourselves a 9m$ anchor that’s inaffective, we have 2m$ less in cap space which means no Toffoli, actually he probably just doesn’t sign with us.

Weber is effective and produces, that alone makes us a winner.

Reactions: Redux91 and feds91

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
Of course Habs won the trade. Was listening to the Canadiens Connection Podcast a couple of weeks ago, and both hosts put the Weber trade the number 1 best move by Bergevin when doing his best 5 and worst 5 transactions list.

I think over time we won the trade (Although I think at the time Nash should have added from their end) but I wouldnt personally call it his best move.

Petry for 2nd + 4th
Danault +2nd (that became Romanov) for Weise and Fleischmann
Suzuki, Tatar + Pick for Patches

Id say those 3 rank higher in my books.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree with you literally 99.9999999%

In a way you’re right but wrong.

With Subban still with us, we have ourselves a 9m$ anchor that’s inaffective, we have 2m$ less in cap space which means no Toffoli, actually he probably just doesn’t sign with us.

Weber is effective and produces, that alone makes us a winner.
Who knows what happens if that trade doesnt happen.
Maybe Subban doesnt suffer the same injuries, maybe he doesnt struggle out of the gate like he did in Nashville because he wouldnt be shook, he did play much better as season went on and into the POs, not to mention being a Norris nominee the following year.
Maybe we move him after that. Nashville were able to move him to Jersey, so onviously his contract was still movable.

Who knows. We have seen countless times a player perform a certain way on one team and be very different on another team.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Who knows what happens if that trade doesnt happen.
Maybe Subban doesnt suffer the same injuries, maybe he doesnt struggle out of the gate like he did in Nashville because he wouldnt be shook, he did play much better as season went on and into the POs, not to mention being a Norris nominee the following year.
Maybe we move him after that. Nashville were able to move him to Jersey, so onviously his contract was still movable.

Who knows. We have seen countless times a player perform a certain way on one team and be very different on another team.

Maybe Nashville wins the cup?

It is what it is. Maybe Subban would've gotten injured sooner. We can't waste time with this stuff.

Reactions: donghabs98

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
There’s no question anymore who won the trade, Weber was > than Subban then and still is today.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Let's not forget where it started...by trading Craig Rivet.

Craig Rivet=Pacioretty and Gorges
Pacioretty=Suzuki, Tatar, Norlinder and Leguerrier
Gorges=1 of 2 2nd round picks used to acquire Shaw. Let's just say it resulted in Jan Mysak because we got a 2nd rounder back when we traded him.

Imagine that pathway had Gainey done the smart thing that season and also moved Souray before that deadline.... Return would have been massive, and like the rivet long tail, likely still paying dividends today

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Weber for Subban trade is the most overhyped trade in NHL history...matter of fact, both of those huge trades made that day (Hall for Larsson) turned out to be more noise then anything.

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Weber for Subban trade is the most overhyped trade in NHL history...matter of fact, both of those huge trades made that day (Hall for Larsson) turned out to be more noise then anything.

Maybe the most significant part of that famous 26 minutes that fateful day was the Stamkos extension to stay in Tampa after all lol.

I Loved PK. But Weber has been everything and even moreso in the Leadership category. Talk about a CAPTAIN. Its a huge pillar for the franchise a at the moment, proud to have him

Reactions: 417

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Imagine that pathway had Gainey done the smart thing that season and also moved Souray before that deadline.... Return would have been massive, and like the rivet long tail, likely still paying dividends today

Gainey specialized in asset mismanagement.

He lost Beauchemin, Hainsey, Sourray, Streit, Komisarek, for nothing, and McDonagh could have been kept as well.

Reactions: Miller Time and 417

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Absolutely......you don’t need to win a cup to win a trade......the Subban trade gave us our captain, a pillar on our defence, a point producer.....

The Weber trade gave The Preds Santini.....who they just put on waivers lol
nice spin... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

forgot the SCF appearance, just a coincidence I guess... :dunno:

Reactions: Miller Time
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad