Player Discussion Shea Weber: Oh Captain, My Captain Edition

Is This The End?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He has two more seasons at 6 millions per year, then one year at 3 millions per year and finally three seasons at 1 million a year.

2020-21: $6,000,000
2021-22: $6,000,000
2022-23: $3,000,000
2023-24: $1,000,000
2024-25: $1,000,000
2025-26: $1,000,000

So do you think he'll retire in 3 seasons ? We haven't talked about his contract that much, but we will soon start to have to think about the post-Weber era. We've had a legit #1D forever (Markov -> Subban -> Weber), it will seem weird not having one if none of our prospects become legit #1D.

This is why I want to rebuild. I mean, in 1-2 years if we're not competitive there's no reason to not trade Weber and get whatever you can while he has value before he retires. He's basically a vet #1 D rental at that point, maybe only a #2-3 but when time comes around but that's still worth a pretty penny.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is why I want to rebuild. I mean, in 1-2 years if we're not competitive there's no reason to not trade Weber and get whatever you can while he has value before he retires. He's basically a vet #1 D rental at that point, maybe only a #2-3 but when time comes around but that's still worth a pretty penny.

Yep, everyone, or at least almost everyone knows we should rebuild. It could get really bad when Price and Weber start declining shortly. Same mediocre team in front of them, plus them declining, equals ugliness. And, by that time it will be too late to trade them for blue chip prospects and lottery picks, which we could be using to draft their replacements.

Reactions: Gains

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Tied with Quinn Hughes at 15th in Norris voting

119919975_620583768626398_5242055304333436703_n.png

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Yep, everyone, or at least almost everyone knows we should rebuild. It could get really bad when Price and Weber start declining shortly. Same mediocre team in front of them, plus them declining, equals ugliness. And, by that time it will be too late to trade them for blue chip prospects and lottery picks, which we could be using to draft their replacements.

It's not the same mediocre team in front of them though is it? Did you watch playoff games?

Reactions: Redux91

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's not the same mediocre team in front of them though is it? Did you watch playoff games?

The one where we lost in the first round to a team that got bounced shortly thereafter?

That team certainly looked like a mediocre one backstopped by a goalie playing all-world level...

Reactions: Tighthead

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

It's got some potential. But I wouldn't call it a powerhouse.

If Suzuki and KK progress really fast reallyyoung, that's one thing. But if it takes them a few years, weber will be 39 and Price 36... hence the problem.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
So here's the question worth asking.

In a year Weber will be 36.

Do we protect him in the expansion?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Is it though? Cap will be tight and sacrifices will have to be made. 8m could be the difference between signing a couple of other roster players long term.

I'm slowly warming up to the idea.

Even if there was a good player that we could sign (ex: Hall) with the cap space liberated, there is no way Bergevin would do that because of the importance of Weber on the team.

Trading Weber will also leave a massive hole on our dcorps.

Reactions: Vachon23 and Gains

rubco55

Feb 15, 2016
Toronto
Dude, all of the players have lives, not just Subban. The idea that some of them are in bed at 1000pm every night is complete BS and do nothing but weight train and eat protein the rest of the time is also BS.

I can't believe you're enraged by the video of him training with the Rock. Hate is blind. Seriously, who gives a shit? Why does that make you angry?

Subban has always had a life outside of sports and it never stopped him from being an elite dman, he was a top-5 to top-10 dman from the 2011 through to 2018 seasons, not bad. The entirety of that time he was fundraising for hospitals and hanging out with celebrities.

His play dropped off quite severely in the 2018-19 season which coincided with his back injury. It's not that complicated. He now has less much less speed as well which makes him less effective.
Great excuse! Stick to it!

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
I mean if that trade actually did something for us over the last 4 years, I'd understand people who want to gloat because they were ''right'' at the time. Fair enough.

But in reality, we had one of the worst stretch in team history in that time span so who cares if Subban regressed and we ''won'' the trade? We haven't won shit with Weber, far from it, so put it the way you want but it's still a nothing trade at best.

Start gloating when we make a deep run with Weber, you know like we did in 2014 with that locker room cancer you hate so much anchoring our defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad