• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ajhccwrs

Jun 17, 2017
The way I see the draft going, I don't think we will have a chance to draft Lindstrom, so the choice, unless we move up, would be between Iginla and Catton.

In this writer's opinion the top 4 picks will be: Celebrini, Lindstrom, Buium and then Dickinson. That Celebrini will be going 1 OA is now pre-ordained. I see Lindstrom, despite the injury concerns, going second. When the former NY Football Giants GM, George Young was asked what his draft philosophy was , he responded: "I like big men who can run". I firmly believe that a similar approach aptly applies to hockey and I can't see too many teams, if given the opportunity, passing on this very large player who possesses excellent skating and hockey skills.

As for Buium, people are still kicking themselves for not taking Quinn Hughes in the 2018 draft. You pass on the type of skating ability that Buium brings at your team's peril. Dickinson's play so far in the OHL playoffs shows that he offers a plug and play NHL defenceman for the next decade. He's big, mobile, physical, has a great shot and is a team leader. He has captain written all over him and if he leads London to a Memorial Cup win, I could see a team taking him at 2 OA.

Then, if I'm correct in my assessment of the draft, it will come down to a choice between Iginla and Catton. Both will be impact players in the NHL. One, Ignila is a better goal scorer and and plays a more physical game. Catton is a better play maker and probably has better offensive vision. To me, between the two, I go with the scorer, who is also one of the yougest draft eligible players in the draft. But it's so close, I could change my mind tomorrow.

Bottom line, unless Hughes makes a colossal overreach, we're getting an elite prospect at 5 OA who will be a principal driver of our seemingly endless re-build.

As I have said, this is a great draft to be sitting between 2 OA and 7 OA. Everyone drafting in those positions will (should) be getting a core player.
Surprised that you left out demigod. He might be better then catton and iggy

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
One, Ignila is a better goal scorer and and plays a more physical game. Catton is a better play maker and probably has better offensive vision. To me, between the two, I go with the scorer
Catton 3rd in WHL scoring - scores in a variety of ways.
Maybe iginla is the better shooter?

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Surprised that you left out demigod. He might be better then catton and iggy
Three factors affected my decision: the Russian factor; the level of Demidov’s competition and his injury status. At 5 OA, there are ‘safer’ options who can still be ‘home runs’.

He’ll still will go high in the draft. Even top 5 if a GM is a bit of a river gambler. It’s just that I wouldn’t be in a draft where there are other projected impact players readily available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scintillating10

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Only stupid if Reinbacher is not a top pairing quality. If he ends up just top 4D, stupid yes.

Not necessarily. When you have a forward heavy draft, you’re more likely to get a forward of equal calibre if you draft a forward in the top 5. If you have a defenseman heavy draft, you’re more likely to get a defenseman of equal calibre.

If you’re drafting a defenseman in a forward heavy draft, the separation between defensemen is larger. Same in reverse for drafting forwards.

The issue isn’t whether Reinbacher will become a top 4 guy. It’s whether the forward we could draft was better last year than this year.

There’s bound to be more variance in the available positions depending on how heavy that draft is in a position.

That’s why I didn’t like the Reinbacher pick last year. If he only ends up being a top 4 guy, using a top 5 pick on him is a disaster. He better end up a top 2 guy or it was an unnecessary pick.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The opinion of Stephane Leroux : Iginla comes first in his mind.
I can't place the link because it's facebook. He talk about Catton, Connely and Eiserman.
Iginla comes from an hockey family and could handle the pressure of a big market like the Habs. Plus he's an excellent hockey player and he's quite big.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not necessarily. When you have a forward heavy draft, you’re more likely to get a forward of equal calibre if you draft a forward in the top 5. If you have a defenseman heavy draft, you’re more likely to get a defenseman of equal calibre.

If you’re drafting a defenseman in a forward heavy draft, the separation between defensemen is larger. Same in reverse for drafting forwards.

The issue isn’t whether Reinbacher will become a top 4 guy. It’s whether the forward we could draft was better last year than this year.

There’s bound to be more variance in the available positions depending on how heavy that draft is in a position.

That’s why I didn’t like the Reinbacher pick last year. If he only ends up being a top 4 guy, using a top 5 pick on him is a disaster. He better end up a top 2 guy or it was an unnecessary pick.

I think this draft is wide open after Celebrini. Heading into the draft year, Bob M had 3 forwards as the big 3 and it's been altered as the season moved along. I get it, the draft year is huge and players are growing.

I find BPA very hard to nail down from 2-10. There are some D in there for sure but I don't see a huge forward gap. Teams will draft for need in the 2-10 range this year because so many are so close it appears.

With Reinbacher last year, they obviously liked him a lot and think he will be a top pairing D. I like him too but not sure if he is top pairing or top 4D. Maybe they wanted to check off the RD need. It does appear still hard to get.

Reactions: Omar

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Catton 3rd in WHL scoring - scores in a variety of ways.
Maybe iginla is the better shooter?

The question I have and what I have learned the hard way over the years is how does it translate to the NHL or pro game where you're against the best men in the world? We have seen so many guys come out of nowhere and others who were skilled fade away once they turn pro.

When I watch the CHL, the first thing I look at is the rosters. Age, and mix of size on both the D and F side. How are the players who stand out shining? By taking advantage of players who are not as big and can't skate as well or against the best players on the other side.

That matters to me a lot.... especially in the CHL with so many 16 and 17 years with also smaller 18 and 19 year olds mixed in.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If Habs walk away with either of, and in order of Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, or Parekh I'd be ecstatic.

If they win the lottery and land Celebrini, the rebuild is over, the window has opened and all bets are off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustave

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I have a tough time deciding between Lindstrom, Iginla, and Catton without further information. I don't watch enough of them to have full insight either, so it's only based on limited viewings.

The same limited viewings has me put Eiserman in the same tier as Helenius, which is just outside the top 10 if you consider the D that could go top 10. It's very possible that both could become steals between 10-15, but that's my opinion for now.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
No to Parekh for me. Great skill, but not a fan of everything else.
Too many flags for me, he could mature but being a Knights season tic holder and following the O......pass for me.
No idea on the other players.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why isn't Demidov included as an option? It would be like conducting a poll for President in 2024 with the choices being Biden, RFK, Jr., Jill Stein and other 3rd party candidates, but not including Trump as an option, in other words, severely flawed.
At the time the poll was created, it seemed Demidov would be off the board. Might as s well have put Celebrini in the poll if you were going to put Demidov in. Maybe now with the injury things have changed...

Reactions: Tyson

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
At the time the poll was created, it seemed Demidov would be off the board. Might as s well have put Celebrini in the poll if you were going to put Demidov in. Maybe now with the injury things have changed...
Not really because if we win the lottery we’re obviously drafting Celebrini, and if we don’t win the lottery, we can’t get Celebrini. So the reason for omitting Celebrini does not apply to Demidov . . . at all. Why not just revise the poll to include Demidov, he could very well be available at 5.

Reactions: themilosh

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not really because if we win the lottery we’re obviously drafting Celebrini, and if we don’t win the lottery, we can’t get Celebrini. So the reason for omitting Celebrini does not apply to Demidov . . . at all. Why not just revise the poll to include Demidov, he could very well be available at 5.
Demidov could be available at 5. What I'm saying is at the time of the creation of this poll many didn't think he would be, just like Celebrini. The poll took it as given at the time that Demidov would have been selected over all the others if he was available at 5. Now, the picture has changed it seems. There is debate about whether Demidov will fall to 5 and whether we should take him over Lindstrom, etc...

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I have a tough time deciding between Lindstrom, Iginla, and Catton without further information. I don't watch enough of them to have full insight either, so it's only based on limited viewings.

The same limited viewings has me put Eiserman in the same tier as Helenius, which is just outside the top 10 if you consider the D that could go top 10. It's very possible that both could become steals between 10-15, but that's my opinion for now.
Ignila be another Knies

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla or Catton, as long as we get one of these forwards, I'm good. I have a preference for Iginla (assuming Celebrini & Demidov aren't available). I think he plays a game that suits what we're doing & I think he'll be fine with the pressure of playing in Montreal.

I'm good with Catton too. I think he has the mental makeup and approach to succeed in Montreal.

My only concern with Lindstrom is his injuries.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Demidov could be available at 5. What I'm saying is at the time of the creation of this poll many didn't think he would be, just like Celebrini. The poll took it as given at the time that Demidov would have been selected over all the others if he was available at 5. Now, the picture has changed it seems. There is debate about whether Demidov will fall to 5 and whether we should take him over Lindstrom, etc...

His knee injury is concerning (Demidov) but man what I'd do to have a player of his ilk on our team, he's so damn talented. IMO the adoration once held from the Bell Centre crowd for Kovalev would pale in comparison after witnessing him entertain, he'd have them out of their seats nightly. :nod:

• Love
Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla or Catton, as long as we get one of these forwards, I'm good. I have a preference for Iginla (assuming Celebrini & Demidov aren't available). I think he plays a game that suits what we're doing & I think he'll be fine with the pressure of playing in Montreal.

I'm good with Catton too. I think he has the mental makeup and approach to succeed in Montreal.

Lookong at it from the outside, we tend to think, who do we want, the small slick guy or the big power forward. Because some of us don't really know who is actually the more elite player at what they do, we think on terms of let's draft he player who has more of the skill set we need.

But, the better question is still, who is going to be more elite at what they do? That's not a question I for one can answer between Catron, Demidov, Lindstrom, and Iginla. Sure I would love the next Slaf/Nikushin. But we're not potentially drafting Nikushin or Slaf. We're potentially drafting Lindstrom. So the scouting team has to look into how good he'll actually be, as they did when they compared Slaf, Wright, and Cooley. Our present needs are secondary. If after the deep dive, our scouts find Catton is the next Patrick Kane and Lindstrom is the next PLD, they know who to take, regardless of player style and size.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Lookong at it from the outside, we tend to think, who do we want, the small slick guy or the big power forward. Because some of us don't really know who is actually the more elite player at what they do, we think on terms of let's draft he player who has more of the skill set we need.

But, the better question is still, who is going to be more elite at what they do? That's not a question I for one can answer between Catron, Demidov, Lindstrom, and Iginla. Sure I would love the next Slaf/Nikushin. But we're not potentially drafting Nikushin or Slaf. We're potentially drafting Lindstrom. So the scouting team has to look into how good he'll actually be, as they did when they compared Slaf, Wright, and Cooley. Our present needs are secondary. If after the deep dive, our scouts find Catton is the next Patrick Kane and Lindstrom is the next PLD, they know who to take, regardless of player style and size.

Yup that's ultimately what they have to decide. Without knowing all the information, interviews, injuries etc, we as fans are just giving our own preferences or takes. With all things being equal, I personally would have our top 5 draft list as...

Celebrini
Demidov
Lindstrom
Catton
Iginla

When our pick is due, just take the one highest on this list who may be available.

Reactions: malcb33

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

I hope Demidov will not be available. If he's available and Habs picks Iginla like I want, we'll have the same psycho drama of last year when we didn't picked Michkov. Demidov is a smart and overall skilled player but he's also small. NHL is the place for stronger and bigger players. Iginla was raised in NA and will be a better fit for the Habs, a big hockey market. Wright, Michkov and Demidov are smallish players and I'm not crazy about smallish players. I'm happy Habs picked Slaf 2 years ago.

Reactions: bsl and MarkovsKnee

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's truly amazing how the first number being a 6 instead of a 5 changes the perception.

Iginla is 6'0, he's not overtly physical and he's not linebacker sized like Leonard.

He's one inch taller than Catton and Demidov. One inch. You'd ask your hair dresser for a refund if all they took off was one inch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad