Player Discussion Shea Weber: Oh Captain, My Captain Edition

Is This The End?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
I think him and Chiarot are getting in the top players head. They are ALWAYS on Couts and co after the whistle. Love it
There was a sequence where a Flyers player come out from the board and skate toward the net. Weber come and skate toward him. The Flyers player take a fast look, seeing Weber was coming. He immediately turn around and skate away from the net. This is the Weber's effect.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I was so wrong when I was upset about the Subban-Weber trade. So wrong.

You might actually be the first to admit it on here lol.

To be fair, it didn't look that way at first. Weber has his moments but people talking like he was Hal Gill with a great shot we're so out to lunch.

Now with PK declining at Gomez level rates, it's looking like a good trade. People just mouth off on here with so much certainty that you'll see a lot of creative goal post shifting and back tracking where it'll be nothing short of a Cup where people will start to admit they were wrong on a SHIT ton of stuff on here.

The second he looks human people will be REALLY quick to pounce on him to save face. Trust me. Doesn't matter how great he is 80% of the time.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
You might actually be the first to admit it on here lol.

To be fair, it didn't look that way at first. Weber has his moments but people talking like he was Hal Gill with a great shot we're so out to lunch.

Now with PK declining at Gomez level rates, it's looking like a good trade. People just mouth off on here with so much certainty that you'll see a lot of creative goal post shifting and back tracking where it'll be nothing short of a Cup where people will start to admit they were wrong on a SHIT ton of stuff on here.

The second he looks human people will be REALLY quick to pounce on him to save face. Trust me. Doesn't matter how great he is 80% of the time.

Even though Weber's older than PK, hockey is everything to Weber. PK has so many other things on the go and hockey has taken a back seat to his celebrity status/lifestyle.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
That's a lot of BS.

Subban was doing spectacularly until he got the back injury.

Do you understand how a back injury could slow down any player?

Do you understand how much flying all over the US to appear at every big event and hang with all the stars can affect his performance? I sure as hell wouldn't do my best at my job if I did that. If you don't think lost focus has anything to do with his performance, I don't know what to say to you other than love is blind.

Where's your proof that Subban's back bothered him during his atrocious season in NJ? He didn't miss any games because of it. He sure likes to pimp himself in videos showing himself training.

PK's one of my favourite Habs ever. He's a tremendous humanitarian and extremely marketable personality but you're kidding yourself if you think he's putting optimal energy into hockey these last two years.

Reactions: rubco55

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Do you understand how much flying all over the US to appear at every big event and hang with all the stars can affect his performance? I sure as hell wouldn't do my best at my job if I did that. If you don't think lost focus has anything to do with his performance, I don't know what to say to you other than love is blind.

Where's your proof that Subban's back bothered him during his atrocious season in NJ? He didn't miss any games because of it. He sure likes to pimp himself in videos showing himself training.

PK's one of my favourite Habs ever. He's a tremendous humanitarian and extremely marketable personality but you're kidding yourself if you think he's putting optimal energy into hockey these last two years.

Dude, all of the players have lives, not just Subban. The idea that some of them are in bed at 1000pm every night is complete BS and do nothing but weight train and eat protein the rest of the time is also BS.

I can't believe you're enraged by the video of him training with the Rock. Hate is blind. Seriously, who gives a shit? Why does that make you angry?

Subban has always had a life outside of sports and it never stopped him from being an elite dman, he was a top-5 to top-10 dman from the 2011 through to 2018 seasons, not bad. The entirety of that time he was fundraising for hospitals and hanging out with celebrities.

His play dropped off quite severely in the 2018-19 season which coincided with his back injury. It's not that complicated. He now has less much less speed as well which makes him less effective.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Ohh Weber Subban trade, good times, I still remember all the people saying they will never cheer for the team again, and this would be worse then the Roy trade. LMAO.

I said it then, and I'll say it again, all that was fans being too emotionally that they favor player got traded.

Poile hailed as the best GM of all time for the trade, lol, dude trade away Weber, Seth Jones and Subban and never got a number 1C back lol.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Even though Weber's older than PK, hockey is everything to Weber. PK has so many other things on the go and hockey has taken a back seat to his celebrity status/lifestyle.

PK was overrated in MTL and far from a complete 1 D. Gifted for sure, but missing many of the intangibles that Weber brings to the lineup.

It looks like Weber has a few good more years left in the tank. He will be a good mentor for Romanov next year. I still think at the time of the trade they should have gotten a younger D or tried to get a C but this trade was a win for MTL.

I will say MB needs to find another Chiarot type so they can reduce Weber’s minutes a little. I think he would be even better if he had a little less ice time.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Dude, all of the players have lives, not just Subban. The idea that some of them are in bed at 1000pm every night is complete BS and do nothing but weight train and eat protein the rest of the time is also BS.

I can't believe you're enraged by the video of him training with the Rock. Hate is blind. Seriously, who gives a shit? Why does that make you angry?

Subban has always had a life outside of sports and it never stopped him from being an elite dman, he was a top-5 to top-10 dman from the 2011 through to 2018 seasons, not bad. The entirety of that time he was fundraising for hospitals and hanging out with celebrities.

His play dropped off quite severely in the 2018-19 season which coincided with his back injury. It's not that complicated. He now has less much less speed as well which makes him less effective.

Hate is blind? Angry? I don't even know what the Rock video is.

You're too funny as I was a huge PK fan (as I mentioned) since he played for Belleville. I mentioned that I hated the trade when it happened and I'm just being objective about it now (unlike you). The Habs likely saw this coming and that's why they traded him.

Mario Lemieux had back problems most of his career. Shea Weber played almost half a season on one leg a few years back and was still the Habs best player outside of Price. Many players have had back problems. If it's bothering PK so badly, why didn't he miss a single game this past season because of it? His back was actually bothering him his first year in Nashville and he missed games but performed when he was in the lineup. I have never seen the Rock video so I don't know anything about that. He's in countless videos.

His life outside of hockey is much different now that he's in the US than it was when he was in Montreal. He's flying all over the states to big events, has backstage passes, is going to after parties, and is engaged to a huge US celebrity who he tries to keep up with.

When you're a superstar athlete, you're not going to be able to keep up with the other superstar athletes if you aren't nearly as focused. That's what happened to PK. That's why the Habs traded him for an older player. That's why the Preds traded him for draft picks. Next PK transaction will likely be a buy out.

Maybe Covid has slowed down his fast paced lifestyle and he'll be more focused this upcoming season. I hope so because he's great for the game and who can't pull for someone who has donated so much to charitable causes.

Habs are currently winning that trade.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Weber is still one of the best in the world imo. At least when he's fully healthy. The break no doubt gave him time to heal whatever lingering issues he had.

He's not even relying on his shot for offense either. Just a smart, strong player.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I will say MB needs to find another Chiarot type so they can reduce Weber’s minutes a little. I think he would be even better if he had a little less ice time.
Joel edmundson is the guy i would target. Pretty physical. Good first pass. Canes has too much depth on defense

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I was neutral on the trade at the time. I started to notice PK was in a bit of a decline so I was pretty okay with it compared with others.

Pretty soon after the trade I did state on here that though Weber's older, Weber can just as easily age better than PK does. Kind of like how Pronger did and Chara is. It didn't seem unlikely at all. Many people liked Weber fine enough but thought that it would shut our Cup window sooner because of Weber's age compared to PK.

PK can come back but I think he's got an up hill battle in front of him. I really think that management got a sense that he's more interested in other things besides hockey and it really seems to be the case. A serious injury can do that. Doesn't have to be a blame PK's personality thing necessarily.

And as much as I'm loving Weber right now, I think if a team wants to even forecheck us a bit we could run into problems. I'm very surprised though how well Chiarot looks with Weber right now. I don't know if he's a long term answer there but he's easily been Weber's best partner at this time by a long shot

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Chiarot-PressConference(20/08/14):Weber
“It's nothing new. This is something he's done his whole career. We're talking 14 or 15 years of being one of the best defensemen in the NHL. He's a guy who does everything the right way every single day. That's why he's our captain and that's why he's still one of the best defensemen in the game even at his age. He takes care of himself and does all the right things and you see that on the ice. He's so effective for us.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

In honour of Shea Weber's 35th birthday, check out all of the clap-bomb goals from his career as the big defenceman terrorizes goaltenders and shot blockers around the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad