Is This The End?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I was so wrong when I was upset about the Subban-Weber trade. So wrong.

Habs won that trade so far, Subban had a couple of good years with Nashville but took a huge nosedive after that to the point where he was traded to NJ for a subpar package and is now rumored to be shopped again by the Devils. Weber on the other hand has played relatively the same during his tenure here and that despite being older. No he's not the fastest D out there but he compênsate in other ways and he is good at what he does. Also , unlike Subban , his mind is 100% focused on hockey.

This trade also shows that advanced stats aren't the end it all of player evaluation. I remember the huge debate here that ensued after the trade with some claiming that the trade was a mistake because Weber advanced stats weren't as good as Subban's. They are a nice complementary tool to have but there are other factors that come into play as we can see right now.

That said i hope that PK can somehow bounce back from his slump. I like the guy and he was bleeding red white and blue while he was here. The talent is still there but he doesn't seem very focused there days nor in the shape he was while being with the Habs and the Preds in his first two years there.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I have Subban on instagram. He looks like to enjoying the good life with lindsey vonn. On boat, the beach, bath time. Nice for him. I just cant understand how a guy can make 10 videos a day. Im not in the locker room, but subban looks like to play for his own conpany instead to play for the club. He is maybe the only player i saw with a cap from him, instead a habs cap. I rather like to have weber since day 1. Even if subban gave us good hockey. Hes declining right now.

Reactions: rubco55

mols47

Mar 10, 2011
Notice how non of the habs players still like Subbans posts? Goes to show don't think many are a fan of flashy PK. Night and day compared to Shea in the locker room. So many people eating major crow right now.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I have Subban on instagram. He looks like to enjoying the good life with lindsey vonn. On boat, the beach, bath time. Nice for him. I just cant understand how a guy can make 10 videos a day. Im not in the locker room, but subban looks like to play for his own conpany instead to play for the club. He is maybe the only player i saw with a cap from him, instead a habs cap. I rather like to have weber since day 1. Even if subban gave us good hockey. Hes declining right now.

I think Subban is hyper active. He can't sit still. Always wants to be doing everything. Fashion shows/designing, stand up comedy performances, charity events/videos, instagram videos, Harvard business school, his company/brand/endorsements. I remember the guys at anti chambre saying they had him in for a day. He was a lot of fun. but at the end of the day they were exhausted - like dealing with a kid that although a bundle of joy leaves you drained at the end of the day...

Reactions: rubco55 and Hins77

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I find the Subban talk a bit cringeworthy. He is clearly setting himself up for a post hockey career in a fairly brilliant way. Not sure he deserves all the shit talk for being happy and planning for the next 50 years.

Habs won the trade which is great but pissing on him is as silly as the guys that had Weber as a second pair dman., washed up etc.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-8-16_12-48-4.png

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Weber-PressConference(20/08/18)

“I think they've done a really good job in their neutral zone and in the middle of the ice from the start. They were chasing us with speed, blocking shoots, having a lot of bodies in front. Really difficult to get he puck through the net...”

“Our backs are against the wall. We've got a little over 24 hours here before Game 5 and we've got a chance to climb back in this series. So we've got to take our lumps here and correct a few things tonight and then we definitely have to come with our best effort tomorrow.”

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If Chara can still be a leading player for a top-tier Bruins team at 43, there is room for Weber on my Habs team for the full length of his contract. Even as a #4 or #5 at 40, I'd find ice time for him. He looks like he stays fit, and he doesn't need to move like Hughes or Makar to be a useful D, not to mention a talismanic leader.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Chiarot is helping Weber a lot. Now you have two punishing guys outthere that can play hockey. Before the end of the playoffs, Shea will demand Chiarot's hand in marriage cause he completes him.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

PK Subban likes to enjoy life. Yup, absolutely.

You know what else? He also craves attention. More specifically, public attention.

As a fan of hockey who likes to be entertained, I love that about him. Always full class act too - so many athletes you hear all kind of stories about them for the wrong reasons, never him.

PK Subban's saving grace is that despite all of this - when he was with the Habs, he played harder than anybody. You know how Gallagher is full effort? Subban did that 110%. So any of his teammates who take issue with him, I feel are just insecure crybabies. Get upset if he doesn't try hard enough, which was never an issue.

He clearly had a horrible season. Just one - the season prior was full of injuries, by the time playoffs came around he was Nashville's best player. We'll see if he rebounds - I expect he will. He's only 2 years from being a Norris finalist, he's still young.

I hated the trade. Worst trade in Montreal Candien's history in my opinion. And I say that as one of the posters who probably thought the most of Weber at time of trade. Weber is a fine player, that was never the issue. Picking Michel Therrien over PK was the issue. Ignoring PK's connection with fans and community, and lying to fans about it, was a horrible problem. Just complete piss poor management.

I do think PK > Weber as a player too, but this was always a bit closer.

Since this thread is about Weber - I obviously like and appreciate him a lot as a Hab. He's been awesome in the playoffs so far. He's the type of defender who can age very well, a bit like Chara.

Reactions: Tighthead

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
PK Subban likes to enjoy life. Yup, absolutely.

You know what else? He also craves attention. More specifically, public attention.

As a fan of hockey who likes to be entertained, I love that about him. Always full class act too - so many athletes you hear all kind of stories about them for the wrong reasons, never him.

PK Subban's saving grace is that despite all of this - when he was with the Habs, he played harder than anybody. You know how Gallagher is full effort? Subban did that 110%. So any of his teammates who take issue with him, I feel are just insecure crybabies. Get upset if he doesn't try hard enough, which was never an issue.

He clearly had a horrible season. Just one - the season prior was full of injuries, by the time playoffs came around he was Nashville's best player. We'll see if he rebounds - I expect he will. He's only 2 years from being a Norris finalist, he's still young.

I hated the trade. Worst trade in Montreal Candien's history in my opinion. And I say that as one of the posters who probably thought the most of Weber at time of trade. Weber is a fine player, that was never the issue. Picking Michel Therrien over PK was the issue. Ignoring PK's connection with fans and community, and lying to fans about it, was a horrible problem. Just complete piss poor management.

I do think PK > Weber as a player too, but this was always a bit closer.

Since this thread is about Weber - I obviously like and appreciate him a lot as a Hab. He's been awesome in the playoffs so far. He's the type of defender who can age very well, a bit like Chara.
Yeah. You tell a lot of things about FAN. Yeah right. He is an entertaining guy. Absolutely. But, not sure he was really like in the locker room. Is it normal that no one player for montreal were at his ceremony when he gaves millions to an hospital? No.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty sure this version of Weber is what we get for the next 3 years. Nice to see the "decline" BS go away. Remember folks, He has never been a good skater and the strength to his game is hockey IQ, playing physical, leadership, and that booming shot from the point. That's not going to change overnight

Weber don't get emotional so I think he buys his time to lay the punishment

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He made two plays at the end of the game, with the net empty, that were pretty special. Basically beat two Flyers out of the corner and cleared the zone.

Also loved when he threw Hayes, with one hand flipped him on his head.

Playing some pretty great hockey, easily the best dman on the ice in this series and the last.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I find the Subban talk a bit cringeworthy. He is clearly setting himself up for a post hockey career in a fairly brilliant way. Not sure he deserves all the shit talk for being happy and planning for the next 50 years.

Habs won the trade which is great but pissing on him is as silly as the guys that had Weber as a second pair dman., washed up etc.
Yes. I was in the very small minority who thought we'd end up winning that trade early on (I wrote a MASSIVE post in defense of it), but I still agree with this. We may have won the trade, but holy hell do I love Subban and miss his charisma. I'm excited to see what he's doing now with his shows and such, and I'm rooting for him to bounce back in his career.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Pretty sure this version of Weber is what we get for the next 3 years. Nice to see the "decline" BS go away. Remember folks, He has never been a good skater and the strength to his game is hockey IQ, playing physical, leadership, and that booming shot from the point. That's not going to change overnight

Weber don't get emotional so I think he buys his time to lay the punishment

He actually is a great skater, has no trouble keeping up with the play and at full stride has good speed. Is incredibly strong on his skates .

He doesn’t have a real quick first step because of his size - no one that big does. And he likes to get the puck to a forward with speed which is the best way to control possession. This idea - not yours - but this idea that was real popular here, was that a PMD had to take the puck up ice. I’ve always maintained that “puck moving” can also mean a 5’ pass to an open player with speed.

We are one of the best puck possession teams in the league with him playing top pair so I think that validates my argument that a quick sharp first pass is as effective as the long stretch pass or the dman that carries the puck up ice.

Reactions: donghabs98

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes. I was in the very small minority who thought we'd end up winning that trade early on (I wrote a MASSIVE post in defense of it), but I still agree with this. We may have won the trade, but holy hell do I love Subban and miss his charisma. I'm excited to see what he's doing now with his shows and such, and I'm rooting for him to bounce back in his career.
Jersey fans are offering Subban around the league at 50% retained. Would hell freeze over and he ne back in Montreal? Allows us to trade Petry for big haul? Weber maybe can straighten out Subban's attitude? Lots of connecting dots there.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Yup I am with you. I also believed Weber was the better player, and I pushed back hard on the PK fan boys that were losing their minds and slagging Weber.

But I don’t get bashing PK now, kicking a guy when he is down.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He actually is a great skater, has no trouble keeping up with the play and at full stride has good speed. Is incredibly strong on his skates .

He doesn’t have a real quick first step because of his size - no one that big does. And he likes to get the puck to a forward with speed which is the best way to control possession. This idea - not yours - but this idea that was real popular here, was that a PMD had to take the puck up ice. I’ve always maintained that “puck moving” can also mean a 5’ pass to an open player with speed.

We are one of the best puck possession teams in the league with him playing top pair so I think that validates my argument that a quick sharp first pass is as effective as the long stretch pass or the dman that carries the puck up ice.

We just lack a puck mover for our PP! A few less soft wingers and this Habs roster is much different. Those who wand to ignore Price and Weber thinking that we are better without them down the road are dreaming of the Lightning and don't realize 100% rebuilds work like 2/10 times.

Weber will be fine for the next 3 years from 35-37. Keep drafting well and fill the holes with kids. We are seeing the results of this right in front of our eyes as we speak. Bottom 10 team my ass

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Jersey fans are offering Subban around the league at 50% retained. Would hell freeze over and he ne back in Montreal? Allows us to trade Petry for big haul? Weber maybe can straighten out Subban's attitude? Lots of connecting dots there.

Devils owner just paid Subban $6M of July bonus money for next year. Like hell he is going to let his GM trade him at 50% retention and get meh back in a trade. Who's going to give the Devils valuable futures and take a chance on Subban? Subban at 50% retention is a value contract... believe it or not. Put yourself in the Devils ownership shoes. You going to be willing to pay him $6M of bonus money when you had 13k of average attendance the past year and also another $4.5M next year and he doesn't play for your team? Which includes another $3M for July of 21?

Only way this happens is if someone gives them very valuable futures. Who's going to do that? Sorry Subban, your stuck in Jersey for one more year at least.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
It probably wouldn't work unfortunately. Not just because the optics of Bergevin reacquiring him would seem bad, but we just have a glut of defense on the right side as things are, already.

Yup I am with you. I also believed Weber was the better player, and I pushed back hard on the PK fan boys that were losing their minds and slagging Weber.

But I don’t get bashing PK now, kicking a guy when he is down.
The people who insult him are not worth your time. I love PK and always will. I think Weber is the better player but will always wish the best for PK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->