Player Discussion Shea Weber: Oh Captain, My Captain Edition

Is This The End?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Name me one player who has a cap circumventing contract that has played those $1M salary years? Weber will not be playing from 38-40 if he feels he is not a top 4D anymore. So probability says he's around for 3 years and maybe 4 but that would be his age 38 season and whatever team he is on, will have to be a contender for him to want to play.

Petry needs to be locked up for 4 or 5 years to overlap Weber's 3 years with salary. Don't care if Petry is 33-36/37 in that range. Every team needs vets. RD might become an issue in 3+ years. Especially if Brook, Juulsen, and Fleury are bottom pairing guys.

Weber is Mr consistent and his age 30+ stats are on par or better than his career stats. It's nice to see those who were waiting for him to decline hide in the shadows for a while now. Stay there boys.

Don’t get me wrong I see plenty of game left in him. I’m not a Weber doubter. I agree with the contract situation, he might not play out the final years and there is no cap penalty for MTL so no concern there.

With regards to Petry, they need to lock him up. He has so much skill and is very mobile that his presence would be missed.

They need to develop some of the younger guys to take on a bigger role and eat more minutes. If so, reducing Weber& Petry ice time a little will help with longevity.

The D core needs a little tweaking to firm it up. Want to see more from Juulsen and Romanov next year. I think they need to find another Chiarot type to solidify the 6.

Like I said, looking forward to seeing Weber have a big series against the Flyers!

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don’t get me wrong I see plenty of game left in him. I’m not a Weber doubter. I agree with the contract situation, he might not play out the final years and there is no cap penalty for MTL so no concern there.

With regards to Petry, they need to lock him up. He has so much skill and is very mobile that his presence would be missed.

They need to develop some of the younger guys to take on a bigger role and eat more minutes. If so, reducing Weber& Petry ice time a little will help with longevity.

The D core needs a little tweaking to firm it up. Want to see more from Juulsen and Romanov next year.

We can expect Weber to do this thing from age 35-37 in the next 3 years. I don't see him falling flat on his face and sharp decline. After his age 37 season? We would all be guessing but I feel comfortable saying he does not play if he feels he is not a top 4D. Not for $1M of money. Not worried about Weber for the next 3 years at all. What you see is what you get and he is in good shape and committed to staying in shape. Don't see him pulling a Big Buff.

Petry will start his next contract at 33. At that point Weber has 2 years left till his age 38 ($1M salary years kick in). Petry for 4 years from 33-36 is decent. I'd be happy if he signed a AAV similar to Muzzin. If he starts talking $7M+, I trade him. And we can find that out in October

How good are Juulsen, Brook, Fleury? I don't see top pairing potential but who knows. What I see is top 4D or fringe top 4D at this point in time. They don't suck but they could disappoint us like Beaulieu and Tinordi.

Reactions: Habby4Life

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
We can expect Weber to do this thing from age 35-37 in the next 3 years. I don't see him falling flat on his face and sharp decline. After his age 37 season? We would all be guessing but I feel comfortable saying he does not play if he feels he is not a top 4D. Not for $1M of money. Not worried about Weber for the next 3 years at all. What you see is what you get and he is in good shape and committed to staying in shape. Don't see him pulling a Big Buff.

Petry will start his next contract at 33. At that point Weber has 2 years left till his age 38 ($1M salary years kick in). Petry for 4 years from 33-36 is decent. I'd be happy if he signed a AAV similar to Muzzin. If he starts talking $7M+, I trade him. And we can find that out in October

How good are Juulsen, Brook, Fleury? I don't see top pairing potential but who knows. What I see is top 4D or fringe top 4D at this point in time. They don't suck but they could disappoint us like Beaulieu and Tinordi.

I’m not sure about Juulsen, Brook or Fleury as well. Romanov is a key piece if he pans out. I’m very surprised with Chia, I knew of him but did not think he was as good as he has shown.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m not sure about Juulsen, Brook or Fleury as well. Romanov is a key piece if he pans out. I’m very surprised with Chia, I knew of him but did not think he was as good as he has shown.

Chiarot is what we thought we got with Alzner but Chiarot can actually skate lol. Chiarot didn't have opportunity with the Jets top 4D... Habs had a wide open hole at LD for him and he really has become a good fit for us. 3 year term is perfect

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We also traded for Andreas Martinsen, Dwight King and Steve Ott. Yes we actually did that lol. Are we going to keep on listing names?
Ya, but we didn’t trade Sam Girard to acquire and extend a declining player for 30m$

your aforementioned players were acquired for late round picks.....unless of course you praise these late picks which in turn you’d be overjoyed to know that Bergevin has acquired us a shit load of those

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Ya, but we didn’t trade Sam Girard to acquire and extend a declining player for 30m$

your aforementioned players were acquired for late round picks.....unless of course you praise these late picks which in turn you’d be overjoyed to know that Bergevin has acquired us a shit load of those
giphy.gif

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
People still use this? Lol...
Barzal - Draisalt - Petry - Pastrnak - Chabot...the top 5 players in giveaways this year. Guess they're all tank commanders too?

Turnovers...can't believe some still haven't figured it out. You've been here since 2007...you should know better.
You cant deny that PK had an awful year with us before he got traded. He was league leading in turnovers, produced subpar for the expectations put on him (risk vs reward was atrociously lopsided), and thus my comment.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You cant deny that PK had an awful year with us before he got traded. He was league leading in turnovers, produced subpar for the expectations put on him (risk vs reward was atrociously lopsided), and thus my comment.
The entire team struggled that year, calling him awful is quite the stretch. He was awful last year in Jersey, not with us.
Yes he lead in turnovers, which is normal given his style of play. He was the main guy to move the puck for us, and on a terrible team who can't create crap to begin with, it's normal that he'd carry the puck even more therefore leading to more turnovers.

People were saying the same about Markov when Komisarek was having big years, how Markov lead in turnovers and Komi was actually carrying him. It was silly walk then, silly talk now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't know why you're having a tough time, you even agreed, the team didn't really gain anything.
My point was simple, if the team gain much than the trade wasn't particularly good.
You're making the mistake of looking at this solely from a PK vs Weber trade, or nothing at all.
We could have moved Subban for something else and gain, which would have been a clear win in my book.

This maybe...

I think its more about what we lost, ie what was PK giving us, then whos better from the moment of the trade.

We didn't lose what PK was giving us from the trade. PK stopped being that player on his own.

Reactions: rubco55

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This maybe...

We didn't lose what PK was giving us from the trade. PK stopped being that player on his own.
PK had a rougher season the year of the trade but that's mostly because the entire team struggled. Then he got injured the next season but he was very good down the stretch for Nashville and in the POs. The following season he was nominated for a Norris again.

So no, not exactly what you're saying.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Monster game by Weber. Nowhere near as exciting as Subban, but he's having a huge positive impact for us. Would have been nice if we tried to help him out at the time of the trade instead of depending on him at 35 years old to take us to the promise land.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
People like to point out that Game 7 when he was in Nashville but since he joined us he’s been very good during the playoffs and doesn’t have that chocker label that some were saying.

Without Shea Weber, I don’t think Price would be stealing games right now.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
People like to point out that Game 7 when he was in Nashville but since he joined us he’s been very good during the playoffs and doesn’t have that chocker label that some were saying.

He choked in game 7 in Nsh...he had a terrible one. Doesn't mean he can't ever play well in the POs.
They used to say Alfie can't really lead to the next level...until he lead them to the Cup Finals.

Weber has been good, I would still prefer my #1 Dman to be able to move up and down the ice more than he does, and be better at creating offense.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

He played less than 10 games in the playoff with us...

He's looking good and it's great to have him.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
People still use this? Lol...
Barzal - Draisalt - Petry - Pastrnak - Chabot...the top 5 players in giveaways this year. Guess they're all tank commanders too?

Turnovers...can't believe some still haven't figured it out. You've been here since 2007...you should know better.
I remember at one point, Erik Karlsson was in the top of the league in turnovers. Telling stat, until you look at his usage and his contribution... He was ppg and tilted the ice like no other blueliner. People could have, and did, criticize him on the basis of this stat. But we all knew he was one of the most valuable players in the league. Creating turnovers means you had the puck. Good players get the puck often, and sometimes lose it. The more you have the puck, the more likely you are to lose it. Still, I like players who can get posession, instead of players that can't!

You cant create turnovers if you cant get ahold of the puck. That means you simply arent able to get the puck much longer than others. And that's a slight on a player, usually.

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Weber-PressConference(20/08/12)

“I thought we had a little bit of a rusty start. I thought we were slow out of the gates, maybe due to not playing for a bunch of days. I thought as the game went on we got better and we showed that we can play with them. We believe we can play with them. It's a seven-game series... It was a tight game tonight and it should be a good series going forward.”

“I thought in the first period, we didn't do a good job getting pucks behind their D. I think we flipped a lot of pucks to their D and they were able to use their transition speed like they want to. That's kind of something they thrive on.”

“That is big, obviously, for the power play. Hopefully that can build some momentum and we’ve been so good five-on-five already that we’d like to keep that up.”

“But I think you always talk about big shifts after scoring a goal, last minute of a period, first minute of a period. Those are kind of the key moments. Definitely a little bit of a letdown there... But I still thought we responded well and even after that I still thought we had a pretty good second period, minus that.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad