Player Discussion Shea Weber: Oh Captain, My Captain Edition

Is This The End?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
When he was here he had lots of skill but imo he was not a true top 1/2 D. His game was far from complete and not worth the baggage nor the salary. IMO, a 2/3, closer to a 3. He was an above average D who benefited from MTL spotlight that suggested he was better than he was. Weber has less skill than the old PK but his game is much more complete.

He isn’t the only ex Hab who’s value was perceived much higher in MTL than they actually were. It happens and isn’t a knock on the player.

Safe to say now he is average at best with a crappy cap hit.
He was more than just a number 1 D, he was a top end Dman. Yes, he made mistakes defensively but the idea that he wasn't even a #1D and more of a 2-3 guy is laughable. You could play him in every single situation and he would be good at it. Not just that, you could give him the toughest match ups and minutes, and he'd do very well. Add in the offensive contribution to boot.
Benefitted from the spotlight? Right, and due to that same spotlight, every mistake he made was overblown and people spoke of the things he did as if the other elites of the league like Doughty, Keith, and the likes, weren't doing the exact same thing.
It's ridiculous the how some people rated him here. This is specifically why some fans here came out looking like Weber haters during the PK-Weber trade discussion.
Posters like you would senselessly criticize Subban, and prop up Weber, which made other posters do the opposite.

Every - Single - Time, Weber does well, you have these posters who feel the urge to come out to give him massive props while crapping on Subban. It's like y'all can't help yourselves.

PK was, without question, a legit #1Dman. During his peak, he was even among the league's best, even getting nominated for the Norris twice, winning it once.
Unfortunately for him, injuries, bad training or lack of focus, seem to have gotten the best of him over the last couple years and his game suffered from it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I sincerely hope you’re trolling with this. Who cares what PK was? He isn’t that anymore and has declined significantly over last few seasons.

We didn’t lose Prime PK, at best he was an end of his prime.

whatever you think Weber gives us, subban would give less right now.
I don't know why you're having a tough time, you even agreed, the team didn't really gain anything.
My point was simple, if the team gain much than the trade wasn't particularly good.
You're making the mistake of looking at this solely from a PK vs Weber trade, or nothing at all.
We could have moved Subban for something else and gain, which would have been a clear win in my book.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
He was more than just a number 1 D, he was a top end Dman. Yes, he made mistakes defensively but the idea that he wasn't even a #1D and more of a 2-3 guy is laughable. You could play him in every single situation and he would be good at it. Not just that, you could give him the toughest match ups and minutes, and he'd do very well. Add in the offensive contribution to boot.
Benefitted from the spotlight? Right, and due to that same spotlight, every mistake he made was overblown and people spoke of the things he did as if the other elites of the league like Doughty, Keith, and the likes, weren't doing the exact same thing.
It's ridiculous the how some people rated him here. This is specifically why some fans here came out looking like Weber haters during the PK-Weber trade discussion.
Posters like you would senselessly criticize Subban, and prop up Weber, which made other posters do the opposite.

Every - Single - Time, Weber does well, you have these posters who feel the urge to come out to give him massive props while crapping on Subban. It's like y'all can't help yourselves.

PK was, without question, a legit #1Dman. During his peak, he was even among the league's best, even getting nominated for the Norris twice, winning it once.
Unfortunately for him, injuries, bad training or lack of focus, seem to have gotten the best of him over the last couple years and his game suffered from it.

Senselessly criticize Subban and prop up Weber - nope didn’t do that.

I stated PK was good but not great and that I thought he was overrated. If that ruffles your feathers than so be it.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Come here looking forward to reading how well Shea Weber has been playing.

Instead I see a discussion going on about PeeKay :shakehead

Yeah, it went sideways.

For all the hockey Weber has played over the years, he looks like he still got a few good years left in him. The guy is a rock back there.

Reactions: angusyoung

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Senselessly criticize Subban and prop up Weber - nope didn’t do that.

I stated PK was good but not great and that I thought he was overrated. If that ruffles your feathers than so be it.
You said he wasnt a #1 D, that he's barely even a #2...he's more of a 2~3 guy, just above average, an overrated D. A laughable assertion.
Ya, its senseless bashing. Not even sure why PK was even brought up in the first place.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
You said he wasnt a #1 D, that he's barely even a #2...he's more of a 2~3 guy, just above average, an overrated D. A laughable assertion.
Ya, its senseless bashing. Not even sure why PK was even brought up in the first place.

I stand by my opinion/statement. Overrated, skilled, above average, and while #1 in MTL in reality he was more of 2/3.

BTW - It’s not senseless bashing, it’s my opinion of his role/performance, that’s why I posted it on a hockey message board. If your having a hard time with it, that’s too bad. Moving on!

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I stand by my opinion/statement. Overrated, skilled, above average, and while #1 in MTL in reality he was more of 2/3.

BTW - It’s not senseless bashing, it’s my opinion of his role/performance, that’s why I posted it on a hockey message board. If your having a hard time with it, that’s too bad. Moving on!

You came in to say he wasn't even a top 2 D, glad he is gone, presented absolutely zero arguments to back up your opinion that he was just an above average Dman, so ya....it's senseless and pointless bashing.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
You came in to say he wasn't even a top 2 D, glad he is gone, presented absolutely zero arguments to back up your opinion that he was just an above average Dman, so ya....it's senseless and pointless bashing.

Lol - you go with that if it helps you cope.

Moving on!

Last edited:
Reactions: rubco55

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
PK was a turnover machine. Perfect tank commander for when we got Galchenyuk.
People still use this? Lol...
Barzal - Draisalt - Petry - Pastrnak - Chabot...the top 5 players in giveaways this year. Guess they're all tank commanders too?

Turnovers...can't believe some still haven't figured it out. You've been here since 2007...you should know better.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Lol - we have gone round and round. You’re not changing my opinion, I won’t change yours.

Just plain weird!
You haven't gone round and round about anything. You spat out an opinion and never even started explaining it. All you have done is repeat this laughable assertion.

That's cool, don't expect much from anybody who thinks a two time norris nominee, one time winner, all-star, olympian, is just ''above average''. Lol...no wonder you want to move on.
You're right though, I should stop wasting my time.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I’m off the merry go round so it’s back to Weber.

Six years left on his monster deal. It looks like there is still lots left in the tank. Thinking/hoping 3 or 4 good years left but imo they are going to have to reduce his minutes a little. Anyway, he is holding up better than I thought he would.

Hope he has a monster series against the flyers.

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018

Well said. Thank god there was no social media in the 90s. We traded 28 year old Chris Chelios for 29 year old Denis Savard. We won the cup with Savard, but he was clearly on the decline but NO ONE could have predicted he'd be retired in 7 years while Chelios (only 1 year younger) would play for 20 more years. Lol.

Trades happen. Some are bad, some are good. Some, like this one, seem bad at the time (although ive always been a weber fan, i didnt love the trade) but end up being a blessing in the long run. This was never a "terrible" trade though. We're not talking Selanne for Tverdosky or Neely for Pederson here.

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018

Six years left on his monster deal. It looks like there is still lots left in the tank. Thinking/hoping 3 or 4 good years left but imo they are going to have to reduce his minutes a little. Anyway, he is holding up better than I thought he would.

As long as he has a couple more years left he should be totally tradeable (if we need cap space). There's always some team that needs to take on a cap hit to get up to the cap basement. In 3 years his actual salary drops to $3m and then the remaining 3 years are all at $1m. Cap hit $7.3 That would be super appealing to a cap rich, cash poor team. Mind you, maybe he's still be playing well or maybe he'll retire. For now, he looks very good and, like you, i hope he's a man mountain against the flyers.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
PK was a turnover machine. Perfect tank commander for when we got Galchenyuk.
Saying Subban is a turnover machine is like saying Brodeur is a loser machine because he leads the NHL in loss.

Subban turns the puck over more than other because he's a puck mover, that has the puck more often, that controls the puck more often. Anyone can do like Komisarek and Gorges and dump the puck on the glass and crosses their fingers they don't ice it. Subban doesn't play like that, he's way better than that.

Subban in his prime years was something like top 3D in the NHL in term of PPG production in the playoffs. He was money in the playoffs.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Name me one player who has a cap circumventing contract that has played those $1M salary years? Weber will not be playing from 38-40 if he feels he is not a top 4D anymore. So probability says he's around for 3 years and maybe 4 but that would be his age 38 season and whatever team he is on, will have to be a contender for him to want to play.

Petry needs to be locked up for 4 or 5 years to overlap Weber's 3 years with salary. Don't care if Petry is 33-36/37 in that range. Every team needs vets. RD might become an issue in 3+ years. Especially if Brook, Juulsen, and Fleury are bottom pairing guys.

Weber is Mr consistent and his age 30+ stats are on par or better than his career stats. It's nice to see those who were waiting for him to decline hide in the shadows for a while now. Stay there boys.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We also traded for Jonathan Drouin.:help:

What is Sergachev today? Above average top 4D? Sergachev appears to be better by a noticeable gap but this one is not over yet. Drouin is not the same player he was with Tampa at 20 and 21 and something not right with the Habs. Drouin needs a coach like Torts IMO.

Habs management not hard enough on him and I hate Drouin playing a safe style game. Rather see him fly around more and use his skating where he is a bit more selfish. I'd be content with living with those mistakes if he was creative and kept his skating at a high tempo. What I see is he is too afraid to make mistakes and he's not being creative because of it. This kid can skate well and he avoids puck possession. It's very bizarre

Both Drouin and Domi are being mismanaged by the Habs to some degree. Blame falls on the players mostly but both these two have more to give.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad