Confirmed with Link: Shea Weber is the new captain of the Montreal Canadiens

mtl_felix

Sep 10, 2006
Lavaltrie, Quebec
You know this season's going to be a mess. Why name somebody captain who's going to have to deal with this shit? Just roll with a few A's until the rebuild is complete and go from there.

Reactions: Kimota

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Great. Happy to see he's the captain. Not a distraction Gally needed and Weber doesn't seem to have the personality that would be affected by the title. Surprised Byron got the A over Petry though.

Guess Petry is a little more tradeable now.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
???? You're joking right?

Danault who barely played 3 seasons in the NHL deserve it?
Anyway, how long before Danault gets traded....Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling....2 years max?

Except for Petry, isn't he the longest consecutively-tenured Hab with NO letter at this point?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Should have went with assistants and explored trading Weber before it becomes apparent to everyone that his injuries/age/wear and tear have caught up to him.
I mean we don't even know if his injury/age habs caught up to him yet. Pretty likely, but not a guarantee. I agree that we should have gone with assistants though.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

Anyway, how long before Danault gets traded....Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling....2 years max?

It’s hard to predict development, but I like Danault being part of that mix.

I get being annoyed with some of his overuse, but I don’t get how anyone can not like the player or his attitude. He doesn’t coach or manage himself.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I like Weber as captain but Byron...wow that's a weird choice for assistant.

I don't dislike the player or anything - but still somehow see him as a potential 4th liner only. I know we just extended him but still

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Was it a player vote or did they just appoint him?

I'm sure this time around Bergevin didn't do the same thing as last time.
No votes, no intern competition to be that guy and named it before the season starts so medias won't be talking about that all season long like last time.

Anyway, it's not like the Habs had a lot of choices here.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The best thing about this news is, given the history of our captains, weber's getting traded soon. Which is good news because before he gets too old, he would give us more good pieces like suzuki and 1sts to build around

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Danault is a part of the middle age core along with Gallagher and Byron. Funny how this board continues to underrate him.

Reactions: Bask and McTusk

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
He's a pretty obvious choice and probably the best one, I'm just not sure I love what it implies (he'll be a Hab for a while). It'll be interesting to see how he responds to the pressure. Being a captain in Montreal is very different to being a captain in Nashville.

I also don't see why Montreal needed a captain either, there's no rush (although I guess since its not an actual rebuild there may be some urgency).

When u have a player like shea you do all you can to exploit his character and leadership.so happy he ll be wearing the c.

Reactions: dralaf

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Forget about trading him for the next few years at least even if his play goes drastically down. Way to handcuff the team even more.

Reactions: Kimota

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I mean we don't even know if his injury/age habs caught up to him yet. Pretty likely, but not a guarantee. I agree that we should have gone with assistants though.

I have already seen it and I don't think his play is as high as his reputation is considering how D men need to play the game now.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Forget about trading him for the next few years at least even if his play goes drastically down. Way to handcuff the team even more.

He was never getting traded, MB is too insecure for that. Just like there is no way Gallagher was going to get the C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad