Online Series: She-Hulk Disney+

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't think people criticizing it for "not going deep enough" are watching the right show for that.

I think the finale in particular cemented this as a goofy comedy show :laugh:

Sometimes comedy is just what it is: poking fun at society. There's "value" in that as well, because it makes you laugh and also assess.

And also sometimes it's just fun. You don't always need to be profound.

And trying to go deeper into it in a 30 minutes time slot over 9 episodes is bound for failure.

This basically introduced the character in a manner, as far as I know, stays true to the source material while not taking itself seriously.

In the process they laid groundwork for future MCU projects and introduced new characters that will be big in the new saga:

- Skaar
- reintroducing Daredevil
- addressing the Sokovia accords
- Abomination’s re-emergence
- X-men Easter eggs

It was a chaos finale and I think it wasn’t as funny as they intended but the ending leaves a lot of jumping off point.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I will also add I’m glad they didn’t wait another couple of years to find out what happened with Hulk. Nice little surprise at the end of this series that still adds that cliffhanger element about that backstory

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
How is anyone taking this show seriously enough to feel that they have been made a victim by it?
shehulk_finale.0.jpg

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I don't think people criticizing it for "not going deep enough" are watching the right show for that.

I think the finale in particular cemented this as a goofy comedy show :laugh:

Sometimes comedy is just what it is: poking fun at society. There's "value" in that as well, because it makes you laugh and also assess just how silly life is sometimes.

And also sometimes it's just fun. You don't always need to be profound.

I agree that comedy doesn't need to be deep (I'm rewatching all the Pink Panther films right now), and that comedy can be very efficient with only punctual shots at serious themes. It might be just me, I was under the impression that there was an intention to use this show as a voice - sweetened by its comedic tone - into serious matters. Well, it somewhat tries, and that's where the lack of depth and the bad writing are IMO detrimental to the result. But again, maybe I was just expecting something it wasn't meant to be and that's why I receive it as a huge failure. Purely as a comedy, even though I'll admit I laughed at the "see you on the big screen" joke, it wasn't a big success either.

And trying to go deeper into it in a 30 minutes time slot over 9 episodes is bound for failure.
This is a really poor excuse. Tarkovsky has never made a film that long. I agree that it probably wasn't as funny as intended.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
- So a woman was jailed to force her testimony against her rapist. Another had her rape kit used against her. Both stories were written last month. I'm now very confident the United States will always do the best thing possible for sexual assault victims.

This does not happen to 99% of rape victims in the United States.

The exception does not make the rule.

- "In the real world" the victim doesn't turn into a giant monster that destroys property and assaults people that objectively did nothing. This has nothing to do with "cops being good people" or whatever talking point. Damage Control being aggressively preemptive was also noted in the MCU previously. Well, I guess they were also badly written, which is... convenient. It's just a bit odd to dimiss continuity as poorly written, to instead use real world examples that just have little meaning here because, again, giant monster.

You first argument presented "real world" examples.

"Sometimes in the real world, women are prosecuted - even successfully - for assaulting their rapist. In some countries, the State executes them even if they don't retaliate. And here we are talking about a sex tape, which is tragically still severely underprosecuted or understood even in the places that actually try the most to act against them."

Now that you have difficulty refuting my "real world" counter argument you flip-flop to it's not real world.

- So is A Streetcar Named Desire sexist? The villain is a specific group of trolls online that, well, are a thing, and happened to be mostly men. I'm just very baffled at the leap going from "specific group of people being targeted for ridicule" to "every criticism is sexist because of the focus on this group". And I mean, there was plenty of women in that writers group that she was harshly criticizing... Unless those don't count I suppose, but you could easily see someone ranting about how She-hulk believes women can't write based on that scene.

I'm glad you brought that scene up.

The group of writers we're mostly women.

Yet when Jen makes her "harsh criticisms" the camera focuses predominantly on the few men in the group.

It was insulting to the female writers.
I get that but you also criticized the stakes from her slut-shaming being dropped - for the record, I do agree that this was a big time missed opportunity - which would have still led you to those same people.

Thank you for keeping the discussion civil.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Ohh gawd. Maybe you are not getting it, it's not about just this show but Marvel movies and maybe other movies/shows with strong female leads who get shat on and review bombed by incels and the like is what the episode and shows in general has commented on.

Again you didn't get it and that is too bad for you but there was no pandering or being rushed and didn't take real fans for granted. It was a legal comedy and social/MCU in general commentary and responded in a way to a lot of the comments/criticisms of critics/fans like complaints at times about CGI for example.

I liked it, fit well with how the comic is in many respects, as for example the panels Jussi posted above. And revealing Skaar was great.

I stand by what I said.

Nevertheless, I appreciate you keeping the discussion civil.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I had fun watching this show. I would like to see more Jen Walters as a character and as a fourth wall breaker.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
This was a lot more tonally consistent and sharply directed than some of the other stuff. Moon Knight for example started well but when it tried to get silly and then serious and silly again later on it didn't work as well for me as this did.

Reactions: Jussi

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Phenomenal ending, the cut to Disney+ was perfect. I'd rave about it more but I'm on my phone and am too lazy to type in spoiler tags.

I wonder if Kevin will feature again in the MCU. If so, I only see a character like Deadpool being able to interact with him - or maybe Spider-Man

Reactions: Jussi

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
It was better than I was expecting initially. I wasn't too familiar with She-Hulk beforehand, but I like how they incorporated the fourth wall breaking in general.

Pros:
-Overall fun to watch / light-hearted
-Acting was great overall
-Basically pointblank asking the questions we're all wondering was genius
-Finale "twist" was perfect for the show
-Tied in well into the greater MCU (Wong, Hulk, Sokovia Accords, DD) without overdoing it IMO

Cons:
-The CGI was bad for She-Hulk (I know, totally new take). Maybe that helped me take the whole series less seriously though?
-I didn't like the new take with Dare Devil. His series was amazing on Netflix and they totally Disney'fied him here. Bright colors, less serious, just another bland superhero it feels like
-The story didn't always make sense (jail and inhibitor for breaking some TVs while other super people are constantly busting through walls and attacking people without consequence?)

Personally, I put in on the same tier as Hawkeye in regards to the D+ shows. Better than FatWS, but not quite up to Loki or WandaVision.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I stand by what I said.

Nevertheless, I appreciate you keeping the discussion civil.

I just find people are complaining about some of the social commentary like it was written for the previous episodes reactions when this was all written and taped months ago. It's a commentary on how a group in society keep complaining about more socially inclusive movies and shows. I agree that at times some of them can go overboard with the social inclusion but I think this one was fine as it more poked fun at some of the incel and other complaints.

Trying to figure in which movie did the hulk have sex in where a kid was conceived
During his year on Sakaar

And yes she is 7 feet tall in the comics and said to be 270lbs so she can "handle" the Hulk I am sure!

• Superhuman Strength: Caiera could channel the Old Power through her body for the purpose of granting herself superhuman strength of undefined limits. While the upper limit of her strength wasn't revealed, she could lift somewhere between 75 and 100 tons.
  • Superhuman Stamina: While using the Old Power, Caiera's musculature was considerably advanced to the point where it produced considerably less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of a human being. While the limits of her stamina weren't revealed, she could physically exert herself at peak capacity for at least several hours before the build up of fatigue toxins in her blood began to impair her.
  • Superhuman Durability: The Old Power rendered Caiera's body highly resistant to most forms of physical injury. She could withstand powerful blows from the Hulk, exposure to temperature and pressure extremes, falls from great heights, and powerful blasts of energy without sustaining injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Phenomenal ending, the cut to Disney+ was perfect. I'd rave about it more but I'm on my phone and am too lazy to type in spoiler tags.

I wonder if Kevin will feature again in the MCU. If so, I only see a character like Deadpool being able to interact with him - or maybe Spider-Man

I'd say that's the most likely bet as to how Deadpool will get into the MCU

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Same problem as usual. The MCU has one foot in aiming for younger people and the other foot in making the show interesting to adults. It can’t be both. Any sort of issue the show “addresses” can’t be done intellectually or meaningfully while catering to this wide spectrum of viewers. Fundamentally these shows are for young people but targeted towards adults. Of course we get a discrepancy of opinion on theme and execution.

When the show tries to say something intelligent it still comes off as juvenile

• Love
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Same problem as usual. The MCU has one foot in aiming for younger people and the other foot in making the show interesting to adults. It can’t be both. Any sort of issue the show “addresses” can’t be done intellectually or meaningfully while catering to this wide spectrum of viewers. Fundamentally these shows are for young people but targeted towards adults. Of course we get a discrepancy of opinion on theme and execution.

When the show tries to say something intelligent it still comes off as juvenile
Clearly you've never watched Bluey

Reactions: Primary Assist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad