Online Series: She-Hulk Disney+

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Oh, you can't read if you think I hate it because it's "feminist" - I still hate it because it's badly (terribly) written - and I appreciate real feminist filmmakers that you know nothing about from your Marvel side of the universe.
I'm sorry but what the f*** makes you an expert in judging writing?Why is it that all the "usual suspects" ie. the Fandom Menace channels like Geeks+Grifters, The Quarterpoundering or Nerfrotic are always saying Marvel shows or movies that have female characters in major roles are always saying it's "poorly written"? If they were so good at analyzing writing, they'd a) be doing it themselves or b) working major trade as critics?

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
While I certainly am and have been critical of the show, I disagree with some of the above criticisms.

For example, for all the Dennises, there are some pretty awful, stereotypical to the point of hyberbole type of female characters too, such as Titania or Jen's "friends" in the wedding episode. Seems like it's showing how people can be horrible to other people (especially but not exclusively towards women) from all angles. In fact, one might argue that aside from her bestie, the people who have been kind and supportive of Jen are almost exclusively male (Emil's support group, Pug, Murdock).

I would go so far as to say they sort of flipped the table on the "jerk dudebro" stereotype with the doctor who ghosted her by showing his side of the story - dating She-Hulk and then waking up with Jen would understandably be a shocker.

I also don't think her happiness depending on guys liking her is quite accurate. Seems like in episode 7 she really laid it out as a struggle of anyone liking her Jen side, not just romantically. I thought they made the botched and desperate search for romance out to be an expression of the vulnerability she was feeling because of that juxtaposition of the love for She-Hulk but the indifference towards Jen. That realization then lead her to someone who actually liked her for her in episode 8.

Just my interpretation, anyway.

I'm not saying those things should convince you to like the show. If you don't like it, that's totally understandable. It's definitely a specific style of writing and delivery that, admittedly, is not my usual cup of tea.

That said, I think it has gotten progressively better and in particular episodes 7-8 made a big difference, especially in terms of character development and overall enjoyment for me personally. Up until episode 7 I actually didn't find Jen all that likeable as a character, but I think that was intentional. Until that therapy session I'm not entirely sure she liked herself all that much.
Thanks for a sensible answer - a rare thing around here. I think the 'dumb female' angle is played out as part of the "wake the f*** up people" pseudo-feminist discourse (ex: the first lady lawyer interviewed at the gala, who gets washed out by the second more grounded answer). As for her dependency to finding the right one, I get what you're saying, but I feel it's really a huge part of the show - again with her reaction to her night with Daredevil.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I'm sorry but what the f*** makes you an expert in judging writing?Why is it that all the "usual suspects" ie. the Fandom Menace channels like Geeks+Grifters, The Quarterpoundering or Nerfrotic are always saying Marvel shows or movies that have female characters in major roles are always saying it's "poorly written"? If they were so good at analyzing writing, they'd a) be doing it themselves or b) working major trade as critics?
I never proposed I was an expert (at anything), but : University certificate in screenwriting, masters degree in film studies, Phd in semiotics, have been a movie critic for a few years and taught University level film studies for a few more. Again, not claiming it makes me an expert at anything, but it certainly gave me a baggage in movies that most of your nerds channels don't have. I don't think I have anything against narrative vehicles angled at female perspectives or characters, on the contrary, but this particular show does IMO a terrible job at pretty much everything. Now, considering that you think every major Marvel project is absolutely brilliant in your view, what makes you think your critical ability should be trusted?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Oh, you can't read if you think I hate it because it's "feminist" - I still hate it because it's badly (terribly) written - and I appreciate real feminist filmmakers that you know nothing about from your Marvel side of the universe.
Yeah, I'm pretty far from a Marvel fanboy. I've been pretty critical of most MCU releases.

More importantly, however, is watching you flounder as you attempt to define was "real feminism" is. Spoiler alert - women are not some monolith. There is diversity of opinion and thought within feminism, and multiple different perspectives on issues within feminism.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty far from a Marvel fanboy. I've been pretty critical of most MCU releases.

More importantly, however, is watching you flounder as you attempt to define was "real feminism" is. Spoiler alert - women are not some monolith. There is diversity of opinion and thought within feminism, and multiple different perspectives on issues within feminism.

Tell me more and try do defend this show from a feminist perspective - the ideological branch of your choice. I'm not trying to define what "real feminism" is (how dumb), I'm saying this show's punctual feminism sparks are flawed (mostly as "ew, men" simplistic punches) and that its overall discourse is confused by a counterperformative main character.

I might be wrong, but answering me by "you're a Dennis whatever" or "women are not some monolith" only makes me believe you have zero argument to actually defend what this show is trying to do.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Thanks for a sensible answer - a rare thing around here. I think the 'dumb female' angle is played out as part of the "wake the f*** up people" pseudo-feminist discourse (ex: the first lady lawyer interviewed at the gala, who gets washed out by the second more grounded answer). As for her dependency to finding the right one, I get what you're saying, but I feel it's really a huge part of the show - again with her reaction to her night with Daredevil.

I might be too naive to understand exactly what you mean by "pseudo-feminism" vs :"real feminism", but to me it came across as simply different experiences and/or attitudes from different people. To me they seem to be showing a lot of real problems with blown up proportions in comedic fashion.

In terms of the relationship thing, I guess we'll see where they take it and how her character evolves. I will say that it resonated with me.

While I certainly don't have your credentials, I don't think I agree that the writing is "terrible"

Dialogue can be hit or miss, and the plotlines might be a touch basic. However, where I think the writing actually shines is in the "meta" side. There's quite a few instances of self-awareness in the writing that make you go (and I have, several times in this thread :laugh:) "I see what you did there". I understand if not everyone appreciates that, but I think it's at the very least quite clever.

I couldn't tell you if this is a special thing or whether it exists all over media (as I said I don't watch very much), but for me this sort of thing caught me a little by surprise in a good way. Granted it took a little bit of warming up to, but something tells me that was at least somewhat intentional.

That combined with the increased momentum of the latter half have turned the tables for me.

And while I know this isn't technically part of the show itself, this is just pure gold :laugh:

Unexpected cameo at the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hivemind

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I might be too naive to understand exactly what you mean by "pseudo-feminism", but to me it came across as simply different experiences and/or attitudes from different people. To me they seem to be showing a lot of real problems with blown up proportions in comedic fashion.

In terms of the relationship thing, I guess we'll see where they take it and how her character evolves. I will say that it resonated with me.

While I certainly don't have your credentials, I don't think I agree that the writing is "terrible"

Dialogue can be hit or miss, and the plotlines might be a touch basic. However, where I think the writing actually shines is in the "meta" side. There's quite a few instances of self-awareness in the writing that make you go (and I have, several times in this thread :laugh:) "I see what you did there". I understand if not everyone appreciates that, but I think it's at the very least quite clever.

I couldn't tell you if this is a special thing or whether it exists all over media (as I said I don't watch very much), but for me this sort of thing caught me a little by surprise in a good way. Granted it took a little bit of warming up to, but something tells me that was at least somewhat intentional.

That combined with the increased momentum of the latter half have turned the tables for me.

And while I know this isn't technically part of the show itself, this is just pure gold :laugh:

For the pseudo-feminism, see the link I posted above. I still can't find a real serious feminist take on the series (it sure will come), but you have some hints there.

As for the self-awareness and the fourth wall breaches (more precisely what they call an aside in theater), it's cute and kind of smart, but it's very thin too. Intertextuality, mise en abyme, stuff like that were my specialties "back then", so I'm all for a little distanciation and auto-reflexivity. I think it adds to this show in making it apart from what's been done 'til now in the MCU, but that it could/should have been 1000x more clever, had the overall discourse been mastered and clean.

Anyway, I was happy to see Cox back. I hope his series will try to maintain the tone of the Netflix ones, but the KingPin's already been cartoonified in his earlier appearance, so hopes are low.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Tell me more and try do defend this show from a feminist perspective - the ideological branch of your choice. I'm not trying to define what "real feminism" is (how dumb), I'm saying this show's punctual feminism sparks are flawed (mostly as "ew, men" simplistic punches) and that its overall discourse is confused by a counterperformative main character.

I might be wrong, but answering me by "you're a Dennis whatever" or "women are not some monolith" only makes me believe you have zero argument to actually defend what this show is trying to do.
You seem to be lumping me in with another poster. I never called you a "Dennis whatever." Hell, for that matter, I've never even claimed that feminism is "the ideological branch of my choice." I do happen to be a feminist, but my "defense" of this this show isn't rooted in feminism. I just quite enjoy how several detractors of the show, yourself included, use the show as a punching bag to hate on whatever elements of feminism they don't agree with. Which is precisely what you're continuing to do with these recent posts, attack the aspects of feminism you don't like under the pretense of using "bad writing" as a justification (and then when pressed about what makes it bad writing, you circle back with it being an angle of feminism you dislike).

A character who suffers varying levels of social anxiety and self-doubt after a romance goes astray is not the same as a character who's only valued if the men in their live give approval. Just because Jen is upset after getting ghosted doesn't make her "counterperformative." Just like almost any sitcom, the show takes real-life scenarios and maignifies them to comedic levels, and this show uses the context of a super heroine being involved as part of that magnification. For instance, they took a commen scenario (a hook-up followed by next morning regret after they see each other without "beer goggles" and make-up) and turned it into a thing using She-Hulk as the "before" and Jen as the "morning after." Romanitc entanglements are going to be part of that, and allowing the character to express their doubts and insecurities doesn't mean that character is only validated by male approval. Hell, half of the "Retreat" episode was about this.

The show could absolutely be better when it comes to intersectionality, and nobody is saying this show is 100% perfect. But that doesn't mean what its doing is being done poorly. It's still a Marvel show, and the MCU is always going to be a form of low-culture. So, yes, some of its targets for lampooning are going to be a bit low-brow. But that's par for the course. This is a sit-com, not a slow burn drama or exposé. There are going to be one-off side characters that are used as the butt of a joke, that's part of the format.

This is literally going hand-in-hand with my point that women are not a monolith of thought, that there are disagreements and multiple perspectives within feminism.

Spoiler - you don't get to decide who's a "real serious feminist" or not.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
You seem to be lumping me in with another poster. I never called you a "Dennis whatever." Hell, for that matter, I've never even claimed that feminism is "the ideological branch of my choice." I do happen to be a feminist, but my "defense" of this this show isn't rooted in feminism. I just quite enjoy how several detractors of the show, yourself included, use the show as a punching bag to hate on whatever elements of feminism they don't agree with. Which is precisely what you're continuing to do with these recent posts, attack the aspects of feminism you don't like under the pretense of using "bad writing" as a justification (and then when pressed about what makes it bad writing, you circle back with it being an angle of feminism you dislike).

A character who suffers varying levels of social anxiety and self-doubt after a romance goes astray is not the same as a character who's only valued if the men in their live give approval. Just because Jen is upset after getting ghosted doesn't make her "counterperformative." Just like almost any sitcom, the show takes real-life scenarios and maignifies them to comedic levels, and this show uses the context of a super heroine being involved as part of that magnification. For instance, they took a commen scenario (a hook-up followed by next morning regret after they see each other without "beer goggles" and make-up) and turned it into a thing using She-Hulk as the "before" and Jen as the "morning after." Romanitc entanglements are going to be part of that, and allowing the character to express their doubts and insecurities doesn't mean that character is only validated by male approval. Hell, half of the "Retreat" episode was about this.

The show could absolutely be better when it comes to intersectionality, and nobody is saying this show is 100% perfect. But that doesn't mean what its doing is being done poorly. It's still a Marvel show, and the MCU is always going to be a form of low-culture. So, yes, some of its targets for lampooning are going to be a bit low-brow. But that's par for the course. This is a sit-com, not a slow burn drama or exposé. There are going to be one-off side characters that are used as the butt of a joke, that's part of the format.

This is literally going hand-in-hand with my point that women are not a monolith of thought, that there are disagreements and multiple perspectives within feminism.

Spoiler - you don't get to decide who's a "real serious feminist" or not.

I'm not sure what aspects of feminism I'm not liking. What I don't like is that the show's feminist discourse is reduced to "ew men" punctual moments, inserted in an otherwise contradictory overall narrative (the simple struggle with the She-Hulk name was fantastic). Maybe I'm completely wrong in reading Jen as dependent to (good) male acknowledgment, very possible, and you're 100% right that I shouldn't expect high-culture or a very mature discourse from a superhero show, but the fact that it aims at something and ends up pretty much simplifying it to a point of ridicule and mostly doing the opposite, to me isn't good writing. Maybe it's part of its comedic ambitions, but then again, I don't get the joke.

As for my "real serious feminist" comment, I meant an article or essay from feminist or gender studies and not some kind of blog post quoting twitter feeds as sources. Just meant that I was aware my link wasn't much more credible than us here arguing.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I never proposed I was an expert (at anything), but : University certificate in screenwriting, masters degree in film studies, Phd in semiotics, have been a movie critic for a few years and taught University level film studies for a few more. Again, not claiming it makes me an expert at anything, but it certainly gave me a baggage in movies that most of your nerds channels don't have. I don't think I have anything against narrative vehicles angled at female perspectives or characters, on the contrary, but this particular show does IMO a terrible job at pretty much everything. Now, considering that you think every major Marvel project is absolutely brilliant in your view, what makes you think your critical ability should be trusted?
I'm sorry but on this site/the internet, that automatically makes you THE. ABSOLUTE. WORST.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
That last episode was awesome, loved seeing the yellow suit and Jen and him had fantastic chemistry.

By far the most action of any of the episodes too and was nice to see Matt's action scenes were still as awesome as the Netflix show and nice to see Jen use her powers more and get her she-hulk uniform too.

Reactions: Jussi

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm sorry but on this site/the internet, that automatically makes you THE. ABSOLUTE. WORST.

I'd say the absolute worst are people who are so devoid of personality that they have an emotional investment (in middle-age nonetheless) into the Marvel franchise and get personally offended when people criticize it. I'd say that's far, far, far worst and far, far, far sadder to boot.

Well in that same vein, what makes your opinion on Marvel products, Manchester United or Lauri Markkanen worth a shit? Yet you see it fit to subjugate this forum to them, don't you?

Last edited:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I'm not sure what aspects of feminism I'm not liking. What I don't like is that the show's feminist discourse is reduced to "ew men" punctual moments, inserted in an otherwise contradictory overall narrative (the simple struggle with the She-Hulk name was fantastic). Maybe I'm completely wrong in reading Jen as dependent to (good) male acknowledgment, very possible, and you're 100% right that I shouldn't expect high-culture or a very mature discourse from a superhero show, but the fact that it aims at something and ends up pretty much simplifying it to a point of ridicule and mostly doing the opposite, to me isn't good writing. Maybe it's part of its comedic ambitions, but then again, I don't get the joke.

As for my "real serious feminist" comment, I meant an article or essay from feminist or gender studies and not some kind of blog post quoting twitter feeds as sources. Just meant that I was aware my link wasn't much more credible than us here arguing.
Ive been taking it as theyre making fun of shows with overlycharged political agendas, feminist or otherwise, as well as the people that overreact to that kind of stuff.

Like there are those "ew men" moments but then she has Captain americas ass as her phone background. She tells bruce she can control her anger bc shes a woman in a speech that she gets angry in. There are stereotypical creepy men just as her friends at the wedding were stereotypical shallow women. The intelligencia are people clearly mocking internet trolls.

Idk maybe im giving the show too much credit...ive just taken it all as satire.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Ive been taking it as theyre making fun of shows with overlycharged political agendas, feminist or otherwise, as well as the people that overreact to that kind of stuff.

Like there are those "ew men" moments but then she has Captain americas ass as her phone background. She tells bruce she can control her anger bc shes a woman in a speech that she gets angry in. There are stereotypical creepy men just as her friends at the wedding were stereotypical shallow women. The intelligencia are people clearly mocking internet trolls.

Idk maybe im giving the show too much credit...ive just taken it all as satire.
It is clearly all satire.

Satire is a great way to get messages across though.

I think it is a VERY self-aware show and that is probably what I like the most about it.

Reactions: Fripp and Jussi

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Putting well aside the fake vs real feminism discourse, I thought this week's episode was great. Finally gave Jen some real stakes, and while I didn't really resonate with her much before, the episode before was a solid chance to expand and grow her character. I mean they touched a bit on the expected and believable identity issues of her two forms, and her insecurities of how people view her human form versus her hulk form.

And I really liked the use of Matt Murdock/DD. Not cause "HOLY SHIT YESSS DAREDEVIL HELL YEAH" but because they fit him into the story pretty effectively and he and Jen had great chemistry. Kind of a shame he wasn't more present as it would've given Tatiana Maslany a better character to bounce off of through the season but I understand they didn't want to take the spotlight off of She Hulk too much.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
It's still trash. The "feminist" white thread is not getting better (the insistent jerk at the restaurant, the awards for what it's like being a female lawyer), the character is getting more pathetic by the minute (her happiness depending on good guys liking her is counterperformative to the overall discourse of the show), and no, no, please don't tell me that was a great Daredevil episode (or if you do, tell me you haven't seen his original series - which is not a comedy, but where he is a lot funnier anyway).
I'm wondering, what's your take on the ending of the latest episode? I mean sure, the awards jab was played for silliness, but what happened after? This was probably the first time they tried to take a feminist topic seriously but you don't mention here, so I'm curious.

• Love
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I'm wondering, what's your take on the ending of the latest episode? I mean sure, the awards jab was played for silliness, but what happened after? This was probably the first time they tried to take a feminist topic seriously but you don't mention here, so I'm curious.
To be honest, I almost noted that I was at least curious of the last episode because of the ending, but I didn't want to give credit to the show before it actually did anything interesting. The slut-shaming wasn't really it for me: even if a little more relevant, the Intelligentsia stuff is too much in extension of the "ew, men" facilité and isn't in itself bringing much more. On the other hand, the fact that she hulks up in rage, that could lead to something - if all the dumb jokes and the appeal to the higher-than-thous were leading to the fact that society can't handle a woman that loses control and goes out of her assigned space, I might change my mind (a little).

I'll probably still be very critical til the end though, that last episode would have to be amazing to redeem what felt like a never ending insult to intelligence. ;-)

Reactions: Garo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This show is certainly my least favorite of the Marvel shows that have been released. But I knew going into this that this show was going to be way different from the others so I'm enjoying it for what it is and not looking at it too deeply. I can definitely see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.
I agree. I think the majority of these tv show for marvel for new characters won’t have much in terms of future appearances in a marvel movie. Cameo types like we have recently seen.

There is street level heroes and currently what is setting up to be more galactic heroes. There is a divide so we need to be realistic here. I take She Hulk for what it is.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I think the show is ok. I was a reader of the original comic, but don't really remember it, or value it, enough to care about the show's faithfulness to canon.
I was the reading this thread's back & forth about the show's feminist merits. Just my opinion, I don't think it's messaging has been very meaningful one way or the other. It's a pretty light, shallow show. I did think the most recent episode(9) gave a pretty cold, dismissive depiction of (specifically)male fans tho, who complain about turning male characters in to females. The whole crowd was depicted/mocked basically as petty incels. But these hardcore male comic fans are the ones who watch & ultimately care about/consume this sh*t.
On a positive, I liked the opening homage to the Bill Bixby Hulk a lot. I noticed in the "Don't make me angry" re-creation.. Jen was in Mr McGee's spot, saying Banner's line (to a simulated Banner). It seemed backward, or am I missing a gag?

Reactions: Guardian17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad