TSN: Shawn Thornton suspended 15 games

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
I'm not saying I agree with him, but because of guaranteed salaries and IR and whatnot, he still gets paid the same amount. If he's faking it or exaggerating the injury, that's a two week paid vacation. Depending on the dude's personality, he might be A-OK with doing that to his team..

And given that after cheapshotting Loui Eriksson he wouldn't go with Dougie Hamilton of all people ... who has yet to have his first NHL fight.. he doesn't seem like a stand up guy... at all.

I agree, Orpick should have manned up... did not know Dougie challenged him too.

Regardless it's insanity to suggest Orpick is faking it.... I see no positives or motive for him to such a thing, none.

Only thing this has accomplished is put Thornton out of the lineup, but I think that was something we needed anyways as he has been really slow this year and his age is showing.

It's literally crazy in my opinion to suggest Orpick orchestrated all of this.

pete87

Sep 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't doubt Orpik is probably a decent guy off the ice, but to label someone with a reputation for delivering borderline hits and refusing to answer for them as "one of the most stand-up guys on the team" is a perfect example of what's wrong with that franchise.

What is the 'protocol'? Fight after every big hit? There would be a lot of fighting if that were the case.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What is the 'protocol'? Fight after every big hit? There would be a lot of fighting if that were the case.

I don't remember Boston challenging him to fight after every big hit he's made, do you?

The tough part for him now is that he suffered the worst of what a fight with Thornton could have done to him, but he still hasn't stood up for himself. Cant wait to see how he and the Bruins reacts the next time they play each other- he's been totally punked out.

As a Pitt fan could you explain why the Pens like to stir the pot so much (thinking back to the playoff series last year)? It really doesn't play into their strengths. They're really not the kind of team that can thrive in that kind of game and it seems to distract them from what they are really capable of.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

No, of course not. That's actually one of my pet peeves. A big, clean hit does not warrant a fight.

However, a borderline hit, which leaves a top player staggering to the bench? You'd better believe that's going to spur a response. If you want a lesson in "protocol," see Johnny Boychuk as Exhibit A. He's not a fighter by any means, and his hits are almost always clean but often devastating, but he won't hesitate to drop the gloves and answer for them if challenged.

This isn't the first time, nor the second, nor the third that Orpik hasn't responded. He could have fought Dougie Hamilton, for heaven's sake. If that's a "stand-up guy," it makes me wonder what the Pens' standard is.

member 96824

I don't remember Boston challenging him to fight after every big hit he's made, do you?

The tough part for him now is that he suffered the worst of what a fight with Thornton could have done to him, but he still hasn't stood up for himself. Cant wait to see how he and the Bruins reacts the next time they play each other- he's been totally punked out.

As a Pitt fan could you explain why the Pens like to stir the pot so much (thinking back to the playoff series last year)? It really doesn't play into their strengths. They're really not the kind of team that can thrive in that kind of game and it seems to distract them from what they are really capable of.

The Philly series the year before is also a great example

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Give me a break. You of all people should know Orpik likes to play the game borderline and never stand up. I mean, he will vs. smaller guys time to time, but when challenged by anyone that can throw down he absolutely cowers. Neal is the same type...Nothing wrong with having to man up once in a blue no?

I mean I would never expect a Penguins fan to man up so maybe I'm just talking to myself.

pete87

Sep 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa

Personally, I think it's a coaching issue. It's very frustrating to watch as a Pens fan. I like Bylsma as a coach. However, I feel coaches do have a shelf life and he's reaching his with this team. They need someone to come in that will hold these players accountable and keep their raw emotions in check.

I know it's a sore subject, but James Neal is a good person and player. However, he made a really bad decision when he kne'ed Marchand in the head. Bylsma should have been in his head when he lost his cool against the Flyers in the playoffs and that should have never happened. Malkin has that Russian hot-temper, too. Sid also loses his cool, as well. He's been a target since he was a pre-teen, being the "young prodigy".

The core of the team is still pretty young, when it comes to Sid, Malkin, Neal, Letang, etc. Billy Guerin was fantastic for this team. They tried to re-create that with Iginla but Iginla came in and was just happy to be along for the ride. He didn't provide the leadership that they were hoping for.

pete87

Sep 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
No, of course not. That's actually one of my pet peeves. A big, clean hit does not warrant a fight.

However, a borderline hit, which leaves a top player staggering to the bench? You'd better believe that's going to spur a response. If you want a lesson in "protocol," see Johnny Boychuk as Exhibit A. He's not a fighter by any means, and his hits are almost always clean but often devastating, but he won't hesitate to drop the gloves and answer for them if challenged.

This isn't the first time, nor the second, nor the third that Orpik hasn't responded. He could have fought Dougie Hamilton, for heaven's sake. If that's a "stand-up guy," it makes me wonder what the Pens' standard is.

I can understand your frustration, given the incidents that you have seen against the Bruins. I have more exposure to Brooks Orpik, having watched him his entire career. He truly is a good person and a stand up person, whether you believe it or not. He plays a tough brand of hockey, but has never been a fighter. I can't find the article, but he has never been a big proponent of fighting in hockey. It is ironic in some ways, given his brand of hockey.

If you listened to his interview speaking out, he didn't hold any grudge against Thornton. He almost just accepted it, as if it was his penance for the type of hockey he plays.

As far as your comment regarding the standard for being a stand-up guy, I can't speak to that. When you look at his 10+ years with the Penguins, these incidents have been few and far between.

pete87

Sep 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Give me a break. You of all people should know Orpik likes to play the game borderline and never stand up. I mean, he will vs. smaller guys time to time, but when challenged by anyone that can throw down he absolutely cowers. Neal is the same type...Nothing wrong with having to man up once in a blue no?

I mean I would never expect a Penguins fan to man up so maybe I'm just talking to myself.

Please don't try to start this as a flame war. I have come in peace.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Personally, I think it's a coaching issue. It's very frustrating to watch as a Pens fan. I like Bylsma as a coach. However, I feel coaches do have a shelf life and he's reaching his with this team. They need someone to come in that will hold these players accountable and keep their raw emotions in check.

I know it's a sore subject, but James Neal is a good person and player. However, he made a really bad decision when he kne'ed Marchand in the head. Bylsma should have been in his head when he lost his cool against the Flyers in the playoffs and that should have never happened. Malkin has that Russian hot-temper, too. Sid also loses his cool, as well. He's been a target since he was a pre-teen, being the "young prodigy".

The core of the team is still pretty young, when it comes to Sid, Malkin, Neal, Letang, etc. Billy Guerin was fantastic for this team. They tried to re-create that with Iginla but Iginla came in and was just happy to be along for the ride. He didn't provide the leadership that they were hoping for.

Nobody, not even Iginla, is going to join an established team that already has guys with letters on their chests and suddenly "lead."

And Neal is a very good player, but a "good person" doesn't need a coach to tell him not to take deliberate head shots. :help:

qc

Aug 23, 2011

Not trying to nitpick, but wasn't Bylsma partially responsible for this? I mean, didn't he put Iggy on the left, in spite of Iggy being a RW for 15 years? Maybe it's just my anti-Disco bias, but I thought Iggy was misused in Pitt. It seemed as though Shero brought him in without Bylsma's knowledge. How off base am I?

99% of Pen fans hate me, so I figured I'd take advantage of having one of you on our board. :)

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I can understand your frustration, given the incidents that you have seen against the Bruins. I have more exposure to Brooks Orpik, having watched him his entire career. He truly is a good person and a stand up person, whether you believe it or not. He plays a tough brand of hockey, but has never been a fighter. I can't find the article, but he has never been a big proponent of fighting in hockey. It is ironic in some ways, given his brand of hockey.

If you listened to his interview speaking out, he didn't hold any grudge against Thornton. He almost just accepted it, as if it was his penance for the type of hockey he plays.

As far as your comment regarding the standard for being a stand-up guy, I can't speak to that. When you look at his 10+ years with the Penguins, these incidents have been few and far between.

You obviously have no clue as to what "stand-up" means. Unsurprising for a Pens fan.

It means you ANSWER FOR CRAP YOU PULL ON THE ICE. I don't care if he's anti-fighting. I don't care if he's a damn pacifist. If you hit someone and cause an injury, be prepared to pay for it. Drop your damn gloves and man up.

pete87

Sep 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Nobody, not even Iginla, is going to join an established team that already has guys with letters on their chests and suddenly "lead."

Bill Guerin did when he came from the Islanders when the Pens won the cup.

And Neal is a very good player, but a "good person" doesn't need a coach to tell him not to take deliberate head shots. :help:

He's done a lot of good in the community and has shown himself to be a good person in that respect. He has not made good decisions when he gets heated during games, I agree. Coaches need to step up in that regard.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Bill Guerin did when he came from the Islanders when the Pens won the cup.

He's done a lot of good in the community and has shown himself to be a good person in that respect. He has not made good decisions when he gets heated during games, I agree. Coaches need to step up in that regard.

Yeah, and Matt Cooke loves his family. I give up :facepalm:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Gimme a break, Petey. Orpik has laid out many, many big hits on Bruins and nobody blinked (see Thornton on the ice here too) huge hit --nobody on the Bs cared because it was clean...

...but the Eriksson hit was different --right off the drop of the puck he was looking to make a huge killshot on a vulnerable player who had not played the puck. If you don't think he needs to step up to answer for that (Eriksson) hit then I don't know what to tell you.

pete87

Sep 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
You obviously have no clue as to what "stand-up" means. Unsurprising for a Pens fan.

It means you ANSWER FOR CRAP YOU PULL ON THE ICE. I don't care if he's anti-fighting. I don't care if he's a damn pacifist. If you hit someone and cause an injury, be prepared to pay for it. Drop your damn gloves and man up.

He's been a stand up player in many facets of the game. He's always been one of the guys who will speak up during a tough loss. I think how he's handled himself in the media since the incident has been admirable. He's someone who has stood up and took responsibility for the team and has been a team leader.

No, he's not someone who is going to fight after big hits. That's just not who he is.

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
abe-simpson-gif.gif

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I don't put Orpick in the same category as Neal and Cooke. I do believe that Brooks is a decent guy. That being said, he should've just went with Dougie. And he shouldn't have tried to set the tempo with that hit on Loui.

pete87

Sep 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Not trying to nitpick, but wasn't Bylsma partially responsible for this? I mean, didn't he put Iggy on the left, in spite of Iggy being a RW for 15 years? Maybe it's just my anti-Disco bias, but I thought Iggy was misused in Pitt. It seemed as though Shero brought him in without Bylsma's knowledge. How off base am I?

99% of Pen fans hate me, so I figured I'd take advantage of having one of you on our board. :)

Don't get me started. Bylsma is stubborn to a fault a lot. I will never understand why they tried to force Iginla to play LW. If they didn't want to break up the Kunitz/Crosby/Dupuis line, I saw no problem putting Iginla on the 3rd line RW. He was more productive there than he was anywhere else in the line up, during his brief stint with the Pens.

I don't know if he was brought in without Bylsma's knowledge. There was a clear disconnect as to how to use him, though. Which was disappointing, because it was exciting having him on the team.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
He's been a stand up player in many facets of the game. He's always been one of the guys who will speak up during a tough loss. I think how he's handled himself in the media since the incident has been admirable. He's someone who has stood up and took responsibility for the team and has been a team leader.

No, he's not someone who is going to fight after big hits. That's just not who he is.

So he won't stand uo for himself on the ice, but he'll bravely face those mean guys with microphones. He fits right in on the Penguins.

pete87

Sep 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yeah, and Matt Cooke loves his family. I give up :facepalm:

I can't defend Matt Cooke in any way. I was someone who thought he should have been removed from the game after the Savard incident. Although, his 'transformation' since has been interesting to watch. Although, I would be lying if I didn't believe that the old Cooke will come back out to play some day.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Haha. You obviously didn't hear Stand-Up Guy James Neals's comments after the game.

What a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad