TSN: Shawn Thornton suspended 15 games

pete87

Sep 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Gimme a break, Petey. Orpik has laid out many, many big hits on Bruins and nobody blinked (see Thornton on the ice here too) huge hit --nobody on the Bs cared because it was clean...

...but the Eriksson hit was different --right off the drop of the puck he was looking to make a huge killshot on a vulnerable player who had not played the puck. If you don't think he needs to step up to answer for that (Eriksson) hit then I don't know what to tell you.

Personally, I think it would go a long way if he would fight. Even if it was dropping the gloves and then wrapping up. Then all of this goes away. However, part of me respects that he's taking this stance. Maybe it would be more of a statement if he would drop the gloves in extreme cases instead of never.

pete87

Sep 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'll go now. Thank you to those who engaged me respectfully. This site - across the board - tends to house the people who have the most extreme opinions. It is always nice conversing with other hockey enthusiasts in a respectful manor. It gets boring staying in your own team's forum for too long.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
He's been a stand up player in many facets of the game. He's always been one of the guys who will speak up during a tough loss. I think how he's handled himself in the media since the incident has been admirable. He's someone who has stood up and took responsibility for the team and has been a team leader.

No, he's not someone who is going to fight after big hits. That's just not who he is.

Someone who tries to time a blind side hit to cream an opponent in hopes they are actually touching the puck at the time if the collision is not a "stand up guy," even if they are competent to do it successfully. In fact that is the behavior of a coward and an opportunistic predator. And how about the character implications of malingering in collusion with the team to maximize the victimhood play?

westygoalie

Dec 16, 2013
orpik activated from IR - precisely when we expected.

throw me in with the un-****ing-surprised group.

The Pen's organization had estimated this or the next game as the return date since before the appeal hearing. You're really looking for a conspiracy where there is none.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Not really.

Due to his first-timer status, it's 15/195 and not 15/82.

$1.1M divided by 13 is more or less $85K gross, about $45K net.

Each game is about $3,000 after taxes.

Players are paid by the day not by the game which is 195 days or $5641.03 per day. His lost salary then becomes 15 games X his daily salary or $84,615.00

Taking 2 games off the suspension would save him $11,292.06

Oh, and since it still counts against the players share of their HRR. he still pays escrow on it. That 11 grand would cover his escrow and then some, that would otherwise have to come out of his pocket.

We are talking about the same amount.

I assumed, wrongly perhaps, that he gets to keep 55% of that annual salary in his tax bracket.

So his take-home pay per day is a bit north of $3,000.

I should have said "each game of suspension". Mea culpa.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Orpik plays and Eriksson is still out concussed. **** the Pens and the NHL who bows to their will.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
:shakehead

Wow...

Just wow.

I don't like Orpick or how he throws questionable hits and refuses to answer the bell... but why would he fake being taked out on a stretcher just to get a 4th liner (who may not even be in the league next year because he is so slow) suspended multiple games?

I don't get it... and even if he did fake it, why stay out?...

What would be Orpick's endgame other than to see a 4th liner sit a few games? Makes no sense... I felt for the last bit having Thornton dressed has hurt the team more than him sitting.... Why would Orpick want to help us and consequently hurt his team by sitting out?

Just pure sillyness here brah.

I listed the reasons. Orpik doesn't care about keeping Thornton out for strategic purposes. You're off the trail...it's a lot more simple. The rest you can just go re-read, if you want. I've said all I have to say in this thread. Anything more would be just re-hashing. This thread is long enough.

...And there's no "c" in Orpik. I've screwed up his name as well in the past.

Last edited:

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
@JamieErdahl: Shawn Thornton: "I will not be appealing my suspension through outside arbitration." Eligible to return to #Bruins January 11th.

@JamieErdahl: Thornton: "The timing of it didn't seem to work out, I didn't want to be a distraction around here.. Better for the team.." #bruins

@JamieErdahl: Thornton: "Still not happy with the amount of games I got, but I respect the decision & would rather focus mentally on returning the 11th."

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
@JamieErdahl: Shawn Thornton: "I will not be appealing my suspension through outside arbitration." Eligible to return to #Bruins January 11th.

@JamieErdahl: Thornton: "The timing of it didn't seem to work out, I didn't want to be a distraction around here.. Better for the team.." #bruins

@JamieErdahl: Thornton: "Still not happy with the amount of games I got, but I respect the decision & would rather focus mentally on returning the 11th."

he shouldn't pay for a meal or drink again while under contract for the bruins.

Rookies, take note

acr*

By the time the process would be finished, he'd probably have missed 15 games anyway, so he might as well save himself the legal fees.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
By the time the process would be finished, he'd probably have missed 15 games anyway, so he might as well save himself the legal fees.

wasn't about the games, it was about saving some of the 90k in salary

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

I am sure the NHLPA would pick up the cost of the legal fees and the only thing he would be doing is trying to get back pay. If the 15 games are up after they settle and they reduced it to 10 he would get paid the 5 games. So he really is taking one for the team to not go after the money in order to not be a distraction.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Personally, I think it would go a long way if he would fight. Even if it was dropping the gloves and then wrapping up. Then all of this goes away. However, part of me respects that he's taking this stance. Maybe it would be more of a statement if he would drop the gloves in extreme cases instead of never.
If Orpik is afraid to fight, then he should really think twice before unloading hits like the one he laid on Eriksson. Think hard. A player doesn't have to answer the bell every single time, but that type of style that Orpik plays he has to from time to time. Personally, what I saw from Orpik before Thornton said enough, was a coward. Simple as that.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I hope somebody puts Orpik through the glass the next time we play them

Cant say enough how much i despise that organization

Honestly I may hate that organization more then the Habs. Top to bottom its spineless and two faced. Always the victims, always pushing for league safety and higher punishments until its their guy doing something wrong. Nothing illustrates that better then Neal's "I didn't see him" comments. I cannot properly articulate why the Habs are different then that now that i've written it out but for some reason I feel like their are. They are more dive-y whiners not full on hypocrites

Or this Pens stuff is just fresher

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Well that's a brilliant tactic by the NHL -- stall for as long as possible on making the original decision. Then drag your feet on the appeal. I still wish Thornton would have taken things further with the league. I agree with him obviously that it was too long. Kudos to him though for putting the team completely before himself. Standing up for his teammates due to referee incompetence and Orpik's wussiness got him into the predicament, now he is taking another one for the team so as not to cause further distraction. That is Thornton for you. I love his character and it is no wonder he is so beloved in the room. I hope the Garden gives him a rousing standing O upon his return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad