TSN: Shawn Thornton suspended 15 games

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Oh, yes, that NHL. Good old Dr. Gary Bettman, un-concussing Brooks Orpik while Loui Eriksson sat in his waiting room begging for his help. How dare they.

Despise the organization if you must, but please don't wish bodily harm on someone. Plus, going through the glass would likely injure fans, too, and that's terrible considering that players, at the very least, do understand the risks of a contact sport whereas fans did not necessarily choose danger. It does not reflect well on a fan-base to want to see a player "through the glass," in my personal opinion that is based on years of knowing nothing about ice hockey whatsoever.

Raffi Torres! Now there's a guy whose moral compass I trust.

I believe so, too.

I think he's a great leader and a great team guy.

I'm still uncomfortable with this whole situation, myself, though.

I hope someone puts orpik through the glass too. Lucic has done it before....

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Anyone catch the thread on the main board about Lupul and his cross check to Eaves's head?

Nice to see the NHL (not so) serious about protecting players and cleaning up the game and trying to prevent head shots.....

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
DJ Bean ‏@DJ_Bean 14s
The often fashionable Rask wearing a "Free Thornton" shirt. Often fashionable, not always. #Bruins

Best

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Thornton playing defense for a day-still think what bothers me the most is the absolute ignorance non fans have with regard to Thornton and the fact that they totally trashed him as a man.

Man has a big heart and loves his team-and is probably one of the most charitable players in the league.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Anyone catch the thread on the main board about Lupul and his cross check to Eaves's head?

Nice to see the NHL (not so) serious about protecting players and cleaning up the game and trying to prevent head shots.....

Eaves was a Bruin for a minute or two, so it's open season!

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Looks like Thornton should have just criss checked orpik in the head and dislocated his jaw (although that may have killed him....) as apparently thats just a fine these days.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Nice job NHLDPS. OEL of the Coyotes is bulldozed from behind head first into the boards and you're back to handing out 3 game suspensions for preventable plays. You wanted to make an example of Thornton why? It's not like you're showing any consistency at all when you turn around and give the next guy 3 games for the same damn outcome.

For Thornton's sake I really hope he wins his case and gets some of his money back for the time he's missing. His actions were punished exceedingly in comparison to other incidents, including Neal's wonderful attempt to injure Marchand. Either set the standard with the Thornton case and move on or admit you punished him exceedingly. You can't just throw the book at him and then turn around and go back to giving players 1-3 games for potentially ending someone's career. It's an embarrassment.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that if this was Crosby or someone from a larger market than Phoenix we would have seen heads roll. Instead the poor guy might miss his chance to represent his Country at the Olympics and we don't even know how this might affect him in the future. Not to mention these plays continue to happen and the offenders move on to only miss a handful of games while players sit out injured with concussions for weeks and months and potentially seasons. All that talk about cracking down on preventable injuries was just fluff for their stupid court case. If they really cared they would have shown they were serious and given this guy 10 games.

acr*

What Shawn did was really uneconomical.

He could've kneed Orpik in the head while lying on the ice three times to get that fifteen games, or pulled a Lupul style crosscheck 20 times to add up to the salary lost.

Instead, he chose to get his fifteen games / ~$200,000 with two little soft punches to the face. He needs to think about maximizing his damage to salary loss ratio.

Killerbeez

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Ellsworth, Maine
none
What Shawn did was really uneconomical.

He could've kneed Orpik in the head while lying on the ice three times to get that fifteen games, or pulled a Lupul style crosscheck 20 times to add up to the salary lost.

Instead, he chose to get his fifteen games / ~$200,000 with two little soft punches to the face. He needs to think about maximizing his damage to salary loss ratio.

I hear the sarcasm in your post, but this is exactly what is wrong with this whole scenario. I guarantee that Thornton did not intend to do lasting damage and only wanted to deliver the message that the hit wasn't ok. That's called accountability. Even John Scott only got 7 games for the first hit on Eriksson. Louie Eriksson now has two concussions on two very questionable hits and there has been a total time of suspension to the culprits of 7 days. WTF NHl?

5Minutes4Fighting

Light the Lamp!
Apr 9, 2010
Northern NJ
Amazing that Lupul gets $10k for a X-check to the head in the WC as a repeat offender, yet they threw the book at Thornton who had ZERO history. I know it was an awful play, but I'm more dumbfounded by the lack of any semblance of consistency out of the discipline office whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad