Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info Discussion Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yes. They would have drafted this year. It would have been a top-6 pick at worst. Their lottery percentage is similar to the 3rd worst team in the league.

Honestly, does not bother me as much because there is little chance that this pick makes it to the NHL this season anyway. What bothers me is talk about changing rules to not let the same team draft top-3 two years in a row. In general I agree with that role but feel like the Kraken should be exempt from that rule in their 2nd and 3rd seasons.

I am still hoping for a draft this year simply because its just weird to have a new team start their season of without a draft but I will get over it.
I would bet Seattle would be expempt from a rule change like that. Probably already agreed to by the league for their entry. I wouldn't worry about that yet.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Yes. They would have drafted this year. It would have been a top-6 pick at worst. Their lottery percentage is similar to the 3rd worst team in the league.

Honestly, does not bother me as much because there is little chance that this pick makes it to the NHL this season anyway. What bothers me is talk about changing rules to not let the same team draft top-3 two years in a row. In general I agree with that role but feel like the Kraken should be exempt from that rule in their 2nd and 3rd seasons.

I am still hoping for a draft this year simply because its just weird to have a new team start their season of without a draft but I will get over it.

Keep in mind that Vegas has drafted 6th, NA, 17th and 29th in their short history. The new draft rules and cap crunch mean that there is really no reason Seattle can’t be expected to field a contending team.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Keep in mind that Vegas has drafted 6th, NA, 17th and 29th in their short history. The new draft rules and cap crunch mean that there is really no reason Seattle can’t be expected to field a contending team.
Sure. But Vegas is more of an exception than rule to how expansion teams end up starting out. Nobody would be shocked if the Kraken suck for the first 2-3 years and don't have a start like the Knights did.

Just putting an exception in place for the Kraken would not be a bad thing to do.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
How will that work for Seattle? Totally screws them doesn't it? They would have drafted this year correct? What position do they get in the drafter or how were they to be weighted in the lottery?

Seattle isn't losing any picks. They'd be in the same boat as the other 31 NHL teams WRT 2021 entry draft. They'd get the same weighting (3rd overall) as they would if the draft wasn't delayed.

No, it doesn't . Most of the guys picked in entry draft (even in the first round) might not be ready to play in NHL for 2-5 years (depending on if they need more strength, head to college, etc.). (VGK picked three guys in 1st round. Glass didn't play NHL game until 2 years after being drafted. Brannstrom went pro one year after draft -- in AHL as European; played 2 NHL games in year 2. Suzuki took 2 years to get to NHL.)

The only advantage of an on time draft might be to get a small handful of 20 somethings that could be used for depth in 2021-22. (As other teams also pick from that group, I'm thinking that there would be some special rules applied for 20 yos that might otherwise get drafted.)

Seattle will pick 30 players in expansion draft. (Plus whatever players they might get in "future consideration" trades.)

Kraken need 23 for NHL roster, plus whatever call up depth they want/need to be scattered amongst the 31 AHL teams (while they wait for Palm Springs area arena to be finished; franchise schedule to start play in 2022-23). They also might get a few 20+ kids they are earmarking for development and future NHLers down the road; college grads, CHL overagers, European free agents.

The BOG and NHLPA have to approve moving back the entry draft.

Realize that teams might as well be just "wasting" picks in 2021 draft if they make their decision on sightings to date for a July entry draft. And even in limited future viewings this spring (if there are any) does not give you the same insight as they are rusty (haven't played in a year), not best on best (which is what you often get in tournaments; some guys may elevate their play as they are playing with a better caliber of player than their junior/college team).

Now, with Detroit, finishing 30 points behind the #30 team, NOT winning the lottery (any of the three picks), there's a lot of call for a change of the draft lottery. So, the odds of winning at #3 will probably be reduced.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Seattle isn't losing any picks. They'd be in the same boat as the other 31 NHL teams WRT 2021 entry draft. They'd get the same weighting (3rd overall) as they would if the draft wasn't delayed.

No, it doesn't . Most of the guys picked in entry draft (even in the first round) might not be ready to play in NHL for 2-5 years (depending on if they need more strength, head to college, etc.). (VGK picked three guys in 1st round. Glass didn't play NHL game until 2 years after being drafted. Brannstrom went pro one year after draft -- in AHL as European; played 2 NHL games in year 2. Suzuki took 2 years to get to NHL.)

The only advantage of an on time draft might be to get a small handful of 20 somethings that could be used for depth in 2021-22. (As other teams also pick from that group, I'm thinking that there would be some special rules applied for 20 yos that might otherwise get drafted.)

Seattle will pick 30 players in expansion draft. (Plus whatever players they might get in "future consideration" trades.)

Kraken need 23 for NHL roster, plus whatever call up depth they want/need to be scattered amongst the 31 AHL teams (while they wait for Palm Springs area arena to be finished; franchise schedule to start play in 2022-23). They also might get a few 20+ kids they are earmarking for development and future NHLers down the road; college grads, CHL overagers, European free agents.

The BOG and NHLPA have to approve moving back the entry draft.

Realize that teams might as well be just "wasting" picks in 2021 draft if they make their decision on sightings to date for a July entry draft. And even in limited future viewings this spring (if there are any) does not give you the same insight as they are rusty (haven't played in a year), not best on best (which is what you often get in tournaments; some guys may elevate their play as they are playing with a better caliber of player than their junior/college team).

Now, with Detroit, finishing 30 points behind the #30 team, NOT winning the lottery (any of the three picks), there's a lot of call for a change of the draft lottery. So, the odds of winning at #3 will probably be reduced.
I didn't say they might lose picks. Be that as it may with Glass, lot's of teams play their 1st round picks right away and an expansion team could use the talent. Forever ago Falloon played right away didn't he? Michalek, Friesen, Jumbo, Patty, Vlasic all played right away. There are numerous examples. I would be curious how that maps out for the expansion teams after the Sharks came in. I would bet most played their 1st round picks right away but I could be wrong. Still, it's just one player so not a make or break situation. I would think the teams would prefer to be in control of development for that year though. Maybe the trade off is too great a risk having not seen enough of these guys play over the course of the pandemic. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I have this weird fear that Powers isn’t elite, just big. NCAA is obviously an older league than say the OHL, but I still think that even the smaller NHL players are much accustomed to dealing with larger defenseman than the college kids.
Powers isn't an 18 year old man child dominating against younger players. He's an 18 year old man child crushing it against guys up to 5 years older than him. That's reasonably impressive to me.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Owen-Simpson.jpg

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
If we drafted Owen Powers our defense core would be nasty with Merkley, Ferraro, and Powers. Our forwards would still suck though.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If we drafted Owen Powers our defense core would be nasty with Merkley, Ferraro, and Powers. Our forwards would still suck though.
That's assuming we massively improve between getting Power and the next draft. I think we'll be drafting top 5 for a few years and we're bound to get 1 or 2 franchise caliber forwards before we're ready to compete again

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
That's assuming we massively improve between getting Power and the next draft. I think we'll be drafting top 5 for a few years and we're bound to get 1 or 2 franchise caliber forwards before we're ready to compete again
I never said our team would improve much. Even assuming Powers is able to step in right away we have no cap space to get a top six forward. Any space we have is going to Donato and possibly a backup goaltender. Jones still can't stop a beach ball. Vlassic and Karlsson will still be on the team to act as anchors. Our 3rd line isn't a scoring line, our 4th line is adequate at best and finally out top six has 0 elite talent and can't seem to ever get going. And that's before we trade anyone out.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I never said our team would improve much. Even assuming Powers is able to step in right away we have no cap space to get a top six forward. Any space we have is going to Donato and possibly a backup goaltender. Jones still can't stop a beach ball. Vlassic and Karlsson will still be on the team to act as anchors. Our 3rd line isn't a scoring line, our 4th line is adequate at best and finally out top six has 0 elite talent and can't seem to ever get going. And that's before we trade anyone out.
The implication of calling Power, Merkley, and Ferraro our defensive core is that you were talking a few years down the line when they would actually be our core not next year. So my response about forwards was that we have to time to improve that. Unless you really think that there will be zero improvement to the forward core by the time Power, Merkley, and Ferraro take over the defensive core.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
The implication of calling Power, Merkley, and Ferraro our defensive core is that you were talking a few years down the line when they would actually be our core not next year. So my response about forwards was that we have to time to improve that. Unless you really think that there will be zero improvement to the forward core by the time Power, Merkley, and Ferraro take over the defensive core.

Not at all. I think it declines next year. Meier can't seem to get going. Kane and Couture could be traded if management admit its time to rebuild. And if not they aren't getting any younger. Hertl will be a difference maker but he can't do it alone. Labanc and donato are not enough to tip the scales

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
My dream is Power, then a top 3 pick in the loaded 2022 draft to get Wright, Savoie, or Lambert. Then we'll have 3 young dmen in Power, Ferraro, and Merkley, a hopefully still stitched together Karlsson, Hertl, Meier, a new #1 center, and all the guys from this year's draft for a fun 2022-2023 season.

Bordeleau-Hertl-Meier
Dahlen-Wright-Ozzy
Chwing-Chcenter-Robbins
X-Gallant-X

Ferraro-Karlsson
Power-Merkley
Knyzhov-Kniazev

Obviously very pie-in-the-sky and a lot has to go right, but fun to think about.

Reactions: DeepBlueSea408

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
My dream is Power, then a top 3 pick in the loaded 2022 draft to get Wright, Savoie, or Lambert. Then we'll have 3 young dmen in Power, Ferraro, and Merkley, a hopefully still stitched together Karlsson, Hertl, Meier, a new #1 center, and all the guys from this year's draft for a fun 2022-2023 season.

Bordeleau-Hertl-Meier
Dahlen-Wright-Ozzy
Chwing-Chcenter-Robbins
X-Gallant-X

Ferraro-Karlsson
Power-Merkley
Knyzhov-Kniazev

Obviously very pie-in-the-sky and a lot has to go right, but fun to think about.

That looks good on paper! Would love that <3

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I still dont want Power. He just doesnt do it for me when I watch Michigan games. Beniers is less of a need but hes such a hardworking dynamic player
Agree 100%, this team needs to start drafting more players like Ferraro who on top of their skill just flat out work their bags off every shift. We’ve been missing that for some time it seems.

Reactions: themelkman

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I still dont want Power. He just doesnt do it for me when I watch Michigan games. Beniers is less of a need but hes such a hardworking dynamic player
Yes I want Beniers. I don’t think he will end up an elite top line C like we’d hope from the place he’d be picked but I also don’t think there’s a clear top line/pair talent in this draft. I think that Beniers will end up a Couture level player.

Reactions: themelkman

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Agree 100%, this team needs to start drafting more players like Ferraro who on top of their skill just flat out work their bags off every shift. We’ve been missing that for some time it seems.
That's definitely something I really like about the 2020 draft we had.

Reactions: anthonyyy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad