Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info Discussion Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
While I'm looking forward to these guys joining the team eventually, it's a safe bet that they'll never be NHL contributors. And if they do, they'll probably never be anything more than 3rd line complementary players. Like realistically, our top 10 prospects would struggle to crack the top 10 of any other team in the league outside of maybe Merkley and Bordeleau.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Hopefully will get better after some high picks from this year's draft...
We don’t have a second and I doubt we have the pieces to pick up another first (or another second honestly).
While I'm looking forward to these guys joining the team eventually, it's a safe bet that they'll never be NHL contributors. And if they do, they'll probably never be anything more than 3rd line complementary players. Like realistically, our top 10 prospects would struggle to crack the top 10 of any other team in the league outside of maybe Merkley and Bordeleau.
That’s not true. Leonard, Ozzy, Melnichuk would all comfortably crack pretty much all teams top 10 prospects as well as Merkley and Bordeleau. You also got Chekhovich, Dahlen, Robins, Chmelevski, Kniazev, and Blichfield that crack some depending on their play this year.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
We don’t have a second and I doubt we have the pieces to pick up another first (or another second honestly).

That’s not true. Leonard, Ozzy, Melnichuk would all comfortably crack pretty much all teams top 10 prospects as well as Merkley and Bordeleau. You also got Chekhovich, Dahlen, Robins, Chmelevski, Kniazev, and Blichfield that crack some depending on their play this year.
Based on pedigree, I can see the argument for Ozzy. I would be more on the fence for Leonard. If we're speaking objectively, he got some hype last year but he's a 22 year old that was an overage 6th round draft pick. That's really not much to go on. How is he that different from any other college senior that had a good year? And Melnichuk is a goalie so that's voodoo to begin with.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

I'm not sure if many of those prospects really would do that, but even if it were the case, the issue isn't the top-10 but the top-2! A prospect pool with a generational prospect or 2 franchise-caliber prospects and nothing else trumps one with 10 B/C prospects.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm not sure if many of those prospects really would do that, but even if it were the case, the issue isn't the top-10 but the top-2! A prospect pool with a generational prospect or 2 franchise-caliber prospects and nothing else trumps one with 10 B/C prospects.
I mean if you look at a team like PIT, they got like 2 prospects that would crack our top 10 but yes I agree the issue is outside of Merkley we have no one that has potential as a top liner. Granted some may get there but it would be a surprise.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I mean if you look at a team like PIT, they got like 2 prospects that would crack our top 10 but yes I agree the issue is outside of Merkley we have no one that has potential as a top liner. Granted some may get there but it would be a surprise.

Even on Merkley, I'm a bit underwhelmed. For all the talk about the improvements he's made, and of course his amazing junior numbers, he failed to seize a spot on (a weak) NHL roster.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Even on Merkley, I'm a bit underwhelmed. For all the talk about the improvements he's made, and of course his amazing junior numbers, he failed to seize a spot on (a weak) NHL roster.
Let him work on his game. He still has defensive warts and there is no need to rush him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
They have a weak NHL roster but Burns and Karlsson aren't getting benched and bringing in Merkley would mean we only have 2 (now that simek is out 1) Dmen that should even be on the PK.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
They have a weak NHL roster but Burns and Karlsson aren't getting benched and bringing in Merkley would mean we only have 2 (now that simek is out 1) Dmen that should even be on the PK.
So you're saying it's Erik karlssons fault. This guy ruins everything

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
So we want this Owen Power guy right?
All the guys in the top 10 look solid for different reasons but Power could be a defenseman that could be a legit №1 eventuality. Could have the highest ceiling in the draft out of any player in this draft. Maybe not a superstar player right away but could end up like a Burns-like player, with better d, lesser o. Maybe more analogous to an Alex Pietrangelo.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I want one of the Michigan guys. Beniers or Power.
Yea, for me it's Power -> Beniers -> Johnson from a cursory glance. Power seems to have a ton of 1D potential, Beniers fits the player profile that DW Jr has been pushing for and I'm all for that, and Johnson seems like a really shift F2 type. If you're picking in the top 5, I think you could be happy with any of those guys.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Yea, for me it's Power -> Beniers -> Johnson from a cursory glance. Power seems to have a ton of 1D potential, Beniers fits the player profile that DW Jr has been pushing for and I'm all for that, and Johnson seems like a really shift F2 type. If you're picking in the top 5, I think you could be happy with any of those guys.
It feels so weird at this point in the season being optimistic about picking in the lottery. Last mock draft I looked at today had us slotted from picks 4-7 range right now.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Hopefully will get better after some high picks from this year's draft...

Getting guys into line up from 2021 draft make take even longer.

Some discussion that entry draft may be pushed out up to a year as players haven't had a lot of viewings due to cancelled tournaments, seasons. Might do back to back drafts summer 2022. (IOW 2021 then 2022 like 3-4 days straight.)

Nothing decided. NHLPA need to agree to it too.

Might have to be some special rules for nominally draftable 20 yos.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Getting guys into line up from 2021 draft make take even longer.

Some discussion that entry draft may be pushed out up to a year as players haven't had a lot of viewings due to cancelled tournaments, seasons. Might do back to back drafts summer 2022. (IOW 2021 then 2022 like 3-4 days straight.)

Nothing decided. NHLPA need to agree to it too.

Might have to be some special rules for nominally draftable 20 yos.
How will that work for Seattle? Totally screws them doesn't it? They would have drafted this year correct? What position do they get in the drafter or how were they to be weighted in the lottery?

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
All the guys in the top 10 look solid for different reasons but Power could be a defenseman that could be a legit №1 eventuality. Could have the highest ceiling in the draft out of any player in this draft. Maybe not a superstar player right away but could end up like a Burns-like player, with better d, lesser o. Maybe more analogous to an Alex Pietrangelo.

I have this weird fear that Powers isn’t elite, just big. NCAA is obviously an older league than say the OHL, but I still think that even the smaller NHL players are much accustomed to dealing with larger defenseman than the college kids.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
How will that work for Seattle? Totally screws them doesn't it? They would have drafted this year correct? What position do they get in the drafter or how were they to be weighted in the lottery?
Yes. They would have drafted this year. It would have been a top-6 pick at worst. Their lottery percentage is similar to the 3rd worst team in the league.

Honestly, does not bother me as much because there is little chance that this pick makes it to the NHL this season anyway. What bothers me is talk about changing rules to not let the same team draft top-3 two years in a row. In general I agree with that role but feel like the Kraken should be exempt from that rule in their 2nd and 3rd seasons.

I am still hoping for a draft this year simply because its just weird to have a new team start their season of without a draft but I will get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad