Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info Discussion Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
In the sense that he's not thought of as a top-100 prospect or anything. He's not Ryan Merkley or even Joshua Norris.
To be fair, is he not a top 100 prospect at this point?

Hypothetically, if we go back to 2015, anyone who hasn't made it yet, while they may be NHL players wouldn't be top 100 yet.

That leaves 5 years of drafts. Plenty of guys from 2016 and 2017 are no longer "prospects" so, lets average it to 4 years of draft picks. All things being equal, 100/4 gives us roughly 25 top 100 prospects per draft. The way he is playing now, he probably goes top 25 at least if they do a redraft, plus the draft was one of the deeper ones so likely it actually has more than 25 of the top 100 affiliated prospects.

It will be interesting to see if he can keep it up though, and possibly be the third freshman Hobey Baker, with a lot of games getting cancelled for other teams, because that is where he is pacing right now.

Reactions: themelkman

sam78

Nov 24, 2020
Thank you!
He played just 11:12. I thought he has more ice time.

This is because Mannheim expects him to leave once the Shark's training camp starts. I don't doubt at all, he would play a key role if he would stay the rest of the season, it's no secret Headcoach Gross and also GM Alavaara both like his power forward style. To me he's one of the most underestimated players of the Shark's prospects, probably because of his average junior stats and not being draftet. He's that type of player who never felt comfortable in junior hockey, though obviously the best german forward born in 98 he was excluded for the J18 WC as well as for the J20 WC because of his problematic relationship to some junior coaches of the junior hockey association. That's how you quickly end up in the bottom lines even in the juniors. Marco Sturm finally called him to play for the men's national team only 2 months after he turned pro. He scored 20 goals for a bottom-team of DEL and 9 goals for the nationalteam in his first 11 games, 4 goals in 2 games vs Czech Republic and was surprisingly member of the german team at the 2019 WC, where his limited role and icetime didn't allow to shine. Not surprisingly to me, he battled through and survived all Shark's camps - no question, Pete deBoer and all the other guys did see some hockey talent before he was allowed to give his debut Oct 2nd in Vegas still 20 years old. I believe, as a no name prospect, he had a little bit bad luck to make the team when there were so many weaknesses, of course he and Yurtaykin were quickly the first to held responsible though only played very few minutes. I think we all agree, that for example the 5 on 5 stats of all other players were probably the worst after the first 5-6 games even of the last season.

No question, still a lot to learn, especially about the Shark's system. But if you read between the lines, you can see circumstances which of course influenced scoring stats, Bergmann also wasn't constantly a 1st or 2nd line player in the Cuda team, nor played in a PP line all season long. To me he's definitely again one of the prospects which will compete for a spot in the shark's roster, especially because he's one of the very few players who is already game ready when it comes to physical aspects, he showed he can protect the puck behind the goal in the offensive zone and use his body to cause traffic in front of the net. Admittedly, he needs to work on his consictency and also needs for sure needs to learn the Shark's system. I believe he can develop into a player like Goodrow, he proved he can score when he was given a role which allowed to produce, especially enough icetime. If he keeps developing and improve and adapts to the specific Shark's and NHL hockeystyle, I can see him capable to add some much needed energy and power to the sharks 4th line and also score his points. To me, if he could mentally learn and adapt to the Shark's system, he's one of the few prospects who's ready to go, physically clearly ahead of most other prospects, someone who could become valuable especially in the playoffs. The question is always what do the Sharks want and need to add to the team - it's not about replacing a PP forward like Kane or Meier, it's about developing an effective and valuable 4th line. These points were probably the reason why the Shark's gave him 12 games last season, I bet many of us were focused on players like Blichfeld, but it's about playing a certain role and adding a certain quality they looked for. Very curious how the Sharks will decide, pretty sure it will be again something most don't expect.

Back to Mannheim: his limited role depends for sure only on Mannheim's expectation, he will soon leave towards Northamerica. For Bergmann, it's a great opportunity to prepare for the camps, doesn't matter if he plays 1st or 4th line as long as he gets icetime. And obviously, he's good enough to score even without powerplay time, so far the most goals 5 on 5, let's see how things develop. Tomorrow is the next game vs Munich.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
This is because Mannheim expects him to leave once the Shark's training camp starts. I don't doubt at all, he would play a key role if he would stay the rest of the season, it's no secret Headcoach Gross and also GM Alavaara both like his power forward style. To me he's one of the most underestimated players of the Shark's prospects, probably because of his average junior stats and not being draftet. He's that type of player who never felt comfortable in junior hockey, though obviously the best german forward born in 98 he was excluded for the J18 WC as well as for the J20 WC because of his problematic relationship to some junior coaches of the junior hockey association. That's how you quickly end up in the bottom lines even in the juniors. Marco Sturm finally called him to play for the men's national team only 2 months after he turned pro. He scored 20 goals for a bottom-team of DEL and 9 goals for the nationalteam in his first 11 games, 4 goals in 2 games vs Czech Republic and was surprisingly member of the german team at the 2019 WC, where his limited role and icetime didn't allow to shine. Not surprisingly to me, he battled through and survived all Shark's camps - no question, Pete deBoer and all the other guys did see some hockey talent before he was allowed to give his debut Oct 2nd in Vegas still 20 years old. I believe, as a no name prospect, he had a little bit bad luck to make the team when there were so many weaknesses, of course he and Yurtaykin were quickly the first to held responsible though only played very few minutes. I think we all agree, that for example the 5 on 5 stats of all other players were probably the worst after the first 5-6 games even of the last season.

No question, still a lot to learn, especially about the Shark's system. But if you read between the lines, you can see circumstances which of course influenced scoring stats, Bergmann also wasn't constantly a 1st or 2nd line player in the Cuda team, nor played in a PP line all season long. To me he's definitely again one of the prospects which will compete for a spot in the shark's roster, especially because he's one of the very few players who is already game ready when it comes to physical aspects, he showed he can protect the puck behind the goal in the offensive zone and use his body to cause traffic in front of the net. Admittedly, he needs to work on his consictency and also needs for sure needs to learn the Shark's system. I believe he can develop into a player like Goodrow, he proved he can score when he was given a role which allowed to produce, especially enough icetime. If he keeps developing and improve and adapts to the specific Shark's and NHL hockeystyle, I can see him capable to add some much needed energy and power to the sharks 4th line and also score his points. To me, if he could mentally learn and adapt to the Shark's system, he's one of the few prospects who's ready to go, physically clearly ahead of most other prospects, someone who could become valuable especially in the playoffs. The question is always what do the Sharks want and need to add to the team - it's not about replacing a PP forward like Kane or Meier, it's about developing an effective and valuable 4th line. These points were probably the reason why the Shark's gave him 12 games last season, I bet many of us were focused on players like Blichfeld, but it's about playing a certain role and adding a certain quality they looked for. Very curious how the Sharks will decide, pretty sure it will be again something most don't expect.

Back to Mannheim: his limited role depends for sure only on Mannheim's expectation, he will soon leave towards Northamerica. For Bergmann, it's a great opportunity to prepare for the camps, doesn't matter if he plays 1st or 4th line as long as he gets icetime. And obviously, he's good enough to score even without powerplay time, so far the most goals 5 on 5, let's see how things develop. Tomorrow is the next game vs Munich.
If we had any bottom six space I would say Bergmann gets a shot. I think he waits another year though because I cant see him beating Gregor or Sorenson out for a spot

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Not sure what to make of Reedy. He has pretty much been a complete non factor in terms of being a long term investment for San Jose. Maybe a big season earns him a ELC?

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Not sure what to make of Reedy. He has pretty much been a complete non factor in terms of being a long term investment for San Jose. Maybe a big season earns him a ELC?

I think he does. While his development seemed to stall in his second year, he has been trending upwards (though he had a similar start last year, we will see if he can maintain it all year). While he may not have that "top line" shine that former coaches and scouts talked about, I think his skating and high IQ could make him a Goodrow-esque (as someone mentioned) player for the Sharks. Maybe even a Granlund-lite (the more touted Granlund that is) as Reedy is a more skilled player.

Sidenote, he is the reason I discovered how awesome Rem Pitlick is. I was always a lowkey fan of his dad back in his Sens days. His son is a totally different player (partly because he plays a different position :laugh:) but he is a guy to watch out for if you like the Preds.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
If we had any bottom six space I would say Bergmann gets a shot. I think he waits another year though because I cant see him beating Gregor or Sorenson out for a spot
They are very different kinds of players. I haven’t seen Bergmann show skill with the puck near Gregor or even Sorensen. He is a lot stronger in the corners and better with puck possession than either of those guys. To me, he could be an ideal 4th liner. He needs to work on playing with controlled aggression. I saw him take a couple silly penalties with the Cuda. Not a bunch, but the kind that coaches really don’t like. He could also improve his stock by earning some PK time. The Sharks don’t really have a player like him so I don’t think anyone is really standing in his way from a 4th line winger spot if he earns it.

The Lean Bergmann

Oct 21, 2020
Germany
They are very different kinds of players. I haven’t seen Bergmann show skill with the puck near Gregor or even Sorensen. He is a lot stronger in the corners and better with puck possession than either of those guys. To me, he could be an ideal 4th liner. He needs to work on playing with controlled aggression. I saw him take a couple silly penalties with the Cuda. Not a bunch, but the kind that coaches really don’t like. He could also improve his stock by earning some PK time. The Sharks don’t really have a player like him so I don’t think anyone is really standing in his way from a 4th line winger spot if he earns it.

He's part of the PK unit in Mannheim. Maybe that's a start ;)

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
We just have too many bottom six players this year. Competition will be fierce and I think vets will get the edge

Reactions: Reggae Shark

The Lean Bergmann

Oct 21, 2020
Germany
Munich won 4:3 against Mannheim.

Lean's stats.

1 goal, 4 SOG, “0”, 16:50, 1st line.

Great game by Lean. Very aggressive. Some really good effort. Munich's team had some issues with his pace. They collected just eight penalty minutes when they tried to take him out of the game.

After the game he said that he's getting better from week to week. There's already a big difference between him playing the Deutschland Cup and now but he said that he needs three or four more weeks. Especially when it comes to the fitness level.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
He kinda beat out Sorenson last camp by getting to play higher in the lineup initially. If he's better this year I think it's easily conceivable that he beats out Sorenson for a permanent spot. Bergmann a guy who could steal a spot because he's a decent skater and he's physical. He's got that advantage built in over some of the smaller less physically developed prospects.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
We just have too many bottom six players this year. Competition will be fierce and I think vets will get the edge
You might be right. Right now, our bottom 7 would be Marleau, Sorensen, Gregor, Noesen, Nieto, Gambrell, and Kellman. That’s a really soft group. There’s room for a guy like Bergmann or maybe Handemark if they show they can play in the NHL.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
You might be right. Right now, our bottom 7 would be Marleau, Sorensen, Gregor, Noesen, Nieto, Gambrell, and Kellman. That’s a really soft group. There’s room for a guy like Bergmann or maybe Handemark if they show they can play in the NHL.
Yeah but theres just a clog of guys and im not sure how to solve it. Add onto that the fact that the sharks are still talking to FA's like Sheary I think they dont picture anyone else coming in

Reactions: Sandisfan

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Melnichuk - didn’t play.
Chekhovich - 1 assist, “0”, 18:09, 1st line.
Hrabik - 3 SOG, “-1”, won 6 of 17 FO, 15:49, 3rd line.
Raska - 1 SOG, “0”, 12:33 (05:17 on PK), 4th line.
Ibragimov - “0”, 14:15, 3rd line.
Weinger didn’t play.
Sund - 2 SOG, “0”, 22:49, 1st pair.
Kellman didn’t play (went back in SJ as Sorensen?).
Bergmann - 1 goal, 4 SOG, “0”, 16:50, 1st line.
Edit: Handemark - 1 SOG, “-1”, won 11 of 21 FO, 1st line.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yeah but theres just a clog of guys and im not sure how to solve it. Add onto that the fact that the sharks are still talking to FA's like Sheary I think they dont picture anyone else coming in
I don’t think they’re still talking to the FAs. I don’t think it would take this long to get these guys signed if there was mutual interest. Point still stands though since we have like 10-12 guys who I could see fighting for a bottom 6 spot.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don’t think they’re still talking to the FAs. I don’t think it would take this long to get these guys signed if there was mutual interest. Point still stands though since we have like 10-12 guys who I could see fighting for a bottom 6 spot.
Last I read was that the remaining FAs are basically in limbo until they figure out when the season is starting. We'll know if that interest becomes anything by then

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Korenar - second straight game on the bench.
Hatakka - “0”, 14:32, 2nd pair.
Ibragimov - 2 SOG, “-1”, 7:15, 3rd line.
Weinger - didn’t play again.
Dahlen - 1 goal, 1 assist, 10 SOG, “0”, 19:15, 1st line.
Blichfeld - 1 goal, 1st line.
Knyazev - 1 assist, 1 SOG, “0”, 16:42.
Sund - 1 SOG, “0”, 18:35, 1st pair.
Handemark - 1 goal, 2 SOG, “-1”, won 13 of 18 FO, 1st line.
Hatakka - “0”, 16:23, 2nd pair.
Weinger and Ibragimov - didn’t play (back-to-back games). Ibragimov had penalty on the first minutes in the first game (opponent scored in PP). Probably he was scratched on discipline purposes then (7:15 TOI in first game).
Suomela - 1 SOG, “+1”, 15:24, 1st line.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Figure I would share some of the elite prospects write up on the Sharks system. Not sure what I can and cannot include as this article has a paywall, but happy to add more information if interested and possible.

Overall System Rank: 20

Top 5 Prospects: Gregor considered graduated

1. Bourdeleau: I know their scouts are super high on him. They rave about his defensive game and pick apart his own zone offensive saying he stands around too much.
2. Merkely: Still has a ton of growing to do defensively, but not many players have his offensive abilities.
3. Wiesblatt: Future-skilled pest.
4. Guschin: See him as a future NHLer who needs to improve under pressure.
5. Blichfeld: Complimentary winger with 20 goal potential. Does not offer more than scoring. Catch and release guy who will need a playmaker to set him up.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Figure I would share some of the elite prospects write up on the Sharks system. Not sure what I can and cannot include as this article has a paywall, but happy to add more information if interested and possible.

Overall System Rank: 20

Top 5 Prospects: Gregor considered graduated

1. Bourdeleau: I know their scouts are super high on him. They rave about his defensive game and pick apart his own zone offensive saying he stands around too much.
2. Merkely: Still has a ton of growing to do defensively, but not many players have his offensive abilities.
3. Wiesblatt: Future-skilled pest.
4. Guschin: See him as a future NHLer who needs to improve under pressure.
5. Blichfeld: Complimentary winger with 20 goal potential. Does not offer more than scoring. Catch and release guy who will need a playmaker to set him up.

That's pretty significant improvement in one off-season. Wiesblatt, Bourdeleau, Guschin, Paschinuk, Melnichuk, Robins and Coe, plus very positive reports in Merkley. Still need some major pieces (franchise center, two-way D), but given we lost a top 3 pick, Norris, and Balcers, on in what was already a below average system, that's pretty solid.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
That's pretty significant improvement in one off-season. Wiesblatt, Bourdeleau, Guschin, Paschinuk, Melnichuk, Robins and Coe, plus very positive reports in Merkley. Still need some major pieces (franchise center, two-way D), but given we lost a top 3 pick, Norris, and Balcers, on in what was already a below average system, that's pretty solid.
Yeah I dont think a franchise center is anywhere close to coming. Maybe Shane Wright in 2022 but the sharks would actually need to win the lottery for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad