Post-Game Talk: Sharks 5, Pens 0 - After the Meat Sweats Subside, It's the Hangover I Must Contend With

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If we lose vs Buffalo and Kahun gets on the board, this place may explode.
He might. Dude's a solid player and he'll be playing with a chip on his shoulder. I'm sure his teammates will want to see him get on the board too.

Made a heck of a play earlier tonight to chase down a puck on the forecheck, win a battle and find the open trailer for a goal. Would've been nice to have that guy get a shot alongside Sid to see if he's what I thought he was--a better version of Simon, and a potential solution to the RW vacancy on Sid and Jake's line moving forward.

Ah well, what's done is done though. JR makes as many stupid, vacuous trades as he does good ones. Probably more.

Reactions: ncm7772

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
R&R Hall of Fame isn't my cup of tea.

I don't get it. It should be about immersion into music but instead it's just a collection of band outfits, guitars and pinball machines.

I wanted to like it but soured quickly. Kinda like this season actually.

I disagree completely.

I in fact expected it to be idiotic. But it was much more academic and immersive.

Impressive in fact.

Reactions: Doogle and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
if anything can save this season it’s Sid throwing out that gnarly sweat-stained smelly baseball cap he always wears...just throw that thing out and get some better juju in the room and things will turn around quickly...

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I disagree completely.

I in fact expected it to be idiotic. But it was much more academic and immersive.

Impressive in fact.

Maybe the group I was with got caught up in the "guitars and outfits" section and not the immersion-into-musical-history section.

I'd go again, but Cleveland.

Love the Penguins

Jun 3, 2017
They seem like more of an easily pushed around smurf team than ever, which worries me more than their losing streak, which they will snap out of. A big part of the game plan in the playoffs will be to hit them and hit them, especially given how easily they get injured. Having no one remotely close to a Reaves or Gudbranson is not good.

Reactions: dlowry81

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
his line is doing just fine....on another note, according to Nat Stattrick..in the third period Sharks had 7 HDCF Pens big zero although I thought we had some chances...

High danger has a few caveats to it. Although maybe they just thought that we weren’t going to score so is really high danger :laugh:

Never underestimate ZAR

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
R&R Hall of Fame isn't my cup of tea.

I don't get it. It should be about immersion into music but instead it's just a collection of band outfits, guitars and pinball machines.

I wanted to like it but soured quickly. Kinda like this season actually.

It was a High school rock off my nephew participated in. A lot of good young upcomers.

16 total. That and still getting to see all that stuff was worth it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
if anything can save this season it’s Sid throwing out that gnarly sweat-stained smelly baseball cap he always wears...just throw that thing out and get some better juju in the room and things will turn around quickly...

If you are turned off by his sweaty smelly baseball cap you don't want to know what other article of clothing that he hasn't changed since Juniors.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
They seem like more of an easily pushed around smurf team than ever, which worries me more than their losing streak, which they will snap out of. A big part of the game plan in the playoffs will be to hit them and hit them, especially given how easily they get injured. Having no one remotely close to a Reaves or Gudbranson is not good.
giphy.gif

It's not the idiotic line combos/pairings. It's not the wholly incapable blueline outside of Letang and Riikola. It's that we don't have anyone to punch faces.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
A 5 game skid with 2 of the teams best 3 d-men out and half of you are putting the season in the grave after they were leading the division last week.

You would have never survived the Jon Sim era.

Reactions: StaalForOne

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
For the record, I don't even think E-Rod is worth mentioning. He's a nothingmancer, a nobody. He has such little impact on the game, good or bad, that he may as well be a background face your mind makes up in a dream. :laugh:

Sheary is what he's always been. Garbage without the puck and terrible whenever anyone's within 10ft of him.

Marleau, I don't have any issue with. He had some decent chances and he can skate well enough. Can't expect a bunch of production out of the guy, he's in the twilight of his career.

that description lol

Evan Rodrigues feels like the Alfred E. Newman of Hockey

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
How is something that is probably a lateral move a "disaster on so many fronts."

Can't deny the team's record or the lack of defensive help at the TDL but this slide is multifaceted to say the least.

It just felt like a move for the sake of making a move, and I think the focus should have been on defense regardless of Dumo and Marino's return dates. Marino has surpassed expectations this year, but just about every other defensemen has had a disappointing year. Letang has been up and down, Schultz has been below expectations, Pettersson far below expectations, JJ is JJ, Dumo has been as expected, but hurt. There were plenty of signals that that should have been an area of focus, and it wasn't.

Sheary for Kahun is likely a downgrade, but you're also adding Rodrigues who literally just takes up a roster spot. Lafferty is no world beater, but now he's out of the lineup for this guy who brings nothing to the table.

"Disaster on so many fronts" Maybe a little dramatic, sure, but it wasn't good. You are right that there is a lot going on in the slump, but defense has been one of the biggest issues in this span. That and depth scoring.

It's just a weird move. I always thought moving on from Sheary was a good thing, and this just felt like an easy fall back. A lazy trade.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
A 5 game skid with 2 of the teams best 3 d-men out and half of you are putting the season in the grave after they were leading the division last week.

how many stars did the 03-04 team have? Dick Tarnstrom lead them in scoring for f*** sake.

that team had maybe a tenth of the talent this one does.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It just felt like a move for the sake of making a move, and I think the focus should have been on defense regardless of Dumo and Marino's return dates. Marino has surpassed expectations this year, but just about every other defensemen has had a disappointing year. Letang has been up and down, Schultz has been below expectations, Pettersson far below expectations, JJ is JJ, Dumo has been as expected, but hurt. There were plenty of signals that that should have been an area of focus, and it wasn't.

Sheary for Kahun is likely a downgrade, but you're also adding Rodrigues who literally just takes up a roster spot. Lafferty is no world beater, but now he's out of the lineup for this guy who brings nothing to the table.

"Disaster on so many fronts" Maybe a little dramatic, sure, but it wasn't good. You are right that there is a lot going on in the slump, but defense has been one of the biggest issues in this span. That and depth scoring.

It's just a weird move. I always thought moving on from Sheary was a good thing, and this just felt like an easy fall back. A lazy trade.

After 3 games:

Kahun >> Sheary
Rodrigues is a non-entity, good or bad.

Kahun could have been traded for something this offseason if we wanted to. A 2nd-3rd or thereabouts. Sheary is a UFA.

So in conclusion we traded the better and more valuable player. Dumb.

Also it distracted JR from pursuing defensemen, as you rightly pointed out.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

*6 game skid.

And come on. It's not like the Pens were playing elite teams. Only Toronto and Washington are playoff teams among the ones the Pens lost to. And it's not even just the losses, it's *how* they're losing.

This team has been playing poorly for a while now, even when they were still getting some wins. What's happening now is the same poor play, but without any of the puck luck or bounces going their way. That's a concern going into the playoffs, whether fans want to brush it aside or not.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I missed the Toronto and Buffalo games that started the streak, but they definitely outplayed Washington and deserved to win that one. LA they outplayed as well, but I think those 2 started the mental issues. They're fighting it right now, but they'll figure it out.

Reactions: Love the Penguins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad