News Article: Shane Pinto suspended 41 games for violating gambling rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
The league needs to air this out and let the fans know what the hell happened. I mean parents are buying this guy's jersey for their kids and now there's this bizarre cloud hanging over his head?
The fact that the league made this all NDA looks as if there is something they are covering up. If it was bad enough to warrant 41 games, the fans should be told what it was. Full stop.

He violated the sites terms of services. Like I said,.he's a very lucky man and he knows it. Again look at the quote about how Pinto was thankful Dorion took the bad press. Of he was at all innocent or given too harsh a penalty, why is neither, he his agent, NHLPA, his teammates, coaches managers, crying foul?

It's because for sure he didn't really do anything wrong though...

It's amazing what people will believe, my word

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He violated the sites terms of services. Like I said,.he's a very lucky man and he knows it. Again look at the quote about how Pinto was thankful Dorion took the bad press. Of he was at all innocent or given too harsh a penalty, why is neither, he his agent, NHLPA, his teammates, coaches managers, crying foul?

It's because for sure he didn't really do anything wrong though...

It's amazing what people will believe, my word
I think given there are no charges but the came down hard, he likely did something adjacent to betting on NHL games, close enough that it could undermine public faith in the league, but far enough that they didn't Pete Rose him nor was there any giant scandal. Proxy betting appears to be part of it, giving him a degree of separation, I wouldn't be surprised if his buddy bet on NHL, perhaps prop bets, using his account. If it was just proxy betting on other sports, regardless of if the kid was underage or violated state rules on proxy bets, I don't see the league caring. If it was him directly betting on the outcome of games, he'd be gone. Perhaps the proxy element saved him, but as I said, the issue is causing headache for the league and its newest money maker, they certainly don't want governments seeing the partnership between sports and gambling as in need of stricter regulations.

Reactions: Larionov and Cosmix

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
The league needs to air this out and let the fans know what the hell happened. I mean parents are buying this guy's jersey for their kids and now there's this bizarre cloud hanging over his head?
The fact that the league made this all NDA looks as if there is something they are covering up. If it was bad enough to warrant 41 games, the fans should be told what it was. Full stop.
Why do they need to tell us? The league, Pinto, x betting site, and the law have made their decision for punishment and moved on. Pinto is suspended and losing a lot of money, we as fans are not owed an explanation.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why do they need to tell us? The league, Pinto, x betting site, and the law have made their decision for punishment and moved on. Pinto is suspended and losing a lot of money, we as fans are not owed an explanation.
I mean, in theory, there is a public interest in ensuring sports gambling is on the up and up, transparency is generally the way to go when public trust is important. If Pinto did something that puts the sports gambling scenes fairness into question, him losing money and sweeping what happened under the rug isn't ideal.

Reactions: Cosmix

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
They absolutely do have to tell the fans if they want people to pay money to watch their product. Accountability begins with transparency and so far on this file, there has been zero. This isn't a private business. This is a very public-facing enterprise that relies on the paying customer to fund it. The NHL's communications strategy around this has been amateurish and pathetic.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I mean, in theory, there is a public interest in ensuring sports gambling is on the up and up, transparency is generally the way to go when public trust is important. If Pinto did something that puts the sports gambling scenes fairness into question, him losing money and sweeping what happened under the rug isn't ideal.
I think it would be a violation of his privacy, no?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
This isn't a private business. This is a very public-facing enterprise that relies on the paying customer to fund it. The NHL's communications strategy around this has been amateurish and pathetic.

I mean it is a private business. They can do what they want knowing the fans have no other product to switch to. Look at them taking away our first round pick with very little explanation while Chicago got to draft 1st overall. All of us are still here where as if a different business did that to us we would never do anything with them again.

Reactions: DrEasy

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I mean it is a private business. They can do what they want knowing the fans have no other product to switch to. Look at them taking away our first round pick with very little explanation while Chicago got to draft 1st overall. All of us are still here where as if a different business did that to us we would never do anything with them again.
It is a private company yes. What I meant is that it isn't a private business in the sense that they operate out of the public eye. Everything they do, their practices, their medical reports, fitness testing, games, etc is all done in the public eye for public consumption. It depends 100% on customers being engaged and supporting them with their pocketbook.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
In theory, it would be nice, but since this is a private business, they don't have to do anything. If Pinto was wagering on NHL games, especially games he played in, I'd think they'd have a moral obligation to tell fans.
They absolutely do have to tell the fans if they want people to pay money to watch their product. Accountability begins with transparency and so far on this file, there has been zero. This isn't a private business. This is a very public-facing enterprise that relies on the paying customer to fund it. The NHL's communications strategy around this has been amateurish and pathetic.
The NHL is a private business. I am still waiting for an explanation on why Chicago can cover up multiple players being raped and receive no punishment, yet here I am not getting my explanation. People will forget and move on, just like when it happens with the government or any big company.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This situation is unusual, at the very least.

Yes, we do need more info what happened. Was he betting on NHL games? Was he giving confidential info about teams/players int he league? Or was it non-NHL related? They don't necessarily have to spell out exactly what he did, but at least have it in some sort of category (misuse of betting account, info distribution, etc).

I think the real screwup here was the NHL not having an iron sold and public code of ethics in place BEFORE this whole sports betting thing started. For both current and former NHLers (basically anyone in the league long enough to get a pension). Players should be a 10-foot pole away from all this stuff (including advertising it) for integrity reasons. They shouldn't be allowed to bet on any sports at all while being an active professional hockey player. Even if everything they do is legit, the optics are still terrible.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This could really work out well for the sens if it tanks his value and he signs cheap.

Imagine getting Pinto, Bath and Formenton all severely underpaid due to their (alleged) off ice behaviour.

I feel bad for them, but they'll all be millionaires so not really that bad.

Reactions: boxbox

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
This situation is unusual, at the very least.

Yes, we do need more info what happened. Was he betting on NHL games? Was he giving confidential info about teams/players int he league? Or was it non-NHL related? They don't necessarily have to spell out exactly what he did, but at least have it in some sort of category (misuse of betting account, info distribution, etc).

I think the real screwup here was the NHL not having an iron sold and public code of ethics in place BEFORE this whole sports betting thing started. For both current and former NHLers (basically anyone in the league long enough to get a pension). Players should be a 10-foot pole away from all this stuff (including advertising it) for integrity reasons. They shouldn't be allowed to bet on any sports at all while being an active professional hockey player. Even if everything they do is legit, the optics are still terrible.

That's a pretty terrible take. We do not need more info. You WANT more info.

This cancel culture moral superiority complex the human race is currently playing along with, is ridiculous to say the least

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's a pretty terrible take. We do not need more info. You WANT more info.

This cancel culture moral superiority complex the human race is currently playing along with, is ridiculous to say the least

When people don't know, they assume the worst. It creates a cloud of uncertainty where people end up making up scenarios...and that never turns out well.

For all we know, he could've left his phone on the counter during a party and a buddy hacked into his account to make a bet.

It has nothing to do with cancel culture at all.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
When people don't know, they assume the worst. It creates a cloud of uncertainty where people end up making up scenarios...and that never turns out well.

For all we know, he could've left his phone on the counter during a party and a buddy hacked into his account to make a bet.

It has nothing to do with cancel culture at all.
I think the point is that it doesn't matter what he did. The NHL has punished him, and they are done with it. The only reason people feel they need to tell us what happened is so we can know. Fans not knowing is not going to impact anything; ticket sales are not going to be down; betting is not going to be down. People want to know what happened out of their own curiosity.

The worst assumption is that he bet on NHL games and games he was in, but if that happened, we wouldn't be looking at a 41-game suspension; we'd be looking at a lifetime ban. So Pinto bet on sports and broke some rules, and they don't want to tell us and that is all there is to it, unfortunately.

Reactions: Sensatauro

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
There's not much to discuss about this other than:
  1. What roster adjustments will need to be made when Pinto returns to the lineup. We will still have a cap squeeze at that time, so some kind of adjustment (waivers, subtraction, whatever) will need to be made. Looks like the same scenario when Chabot returns from injury.
  2. What year will they elect to lose the 1st rounder.
I guess if we get lucky, maybe the NHL will reduce the punishment. Maybe is the operative word.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think given there are no charges but the came down hard, he likely did something adjacent to betting on NHL games, close enough that it could undermine public faith in the league, but far enough that they didn't Pete Rose him nor was there any giant scandal. Proxy betting appears to be part of it, giving him a degree of separation, I wouldn't be surprised if his buddy bet on NHL, perhaps prop bets, using his account. If it was just proxy betting on other sports, regardless of if the kid was underage or violated state rules on proxy bets, I don't see the league caring. If it was him directly betting on the outcome of games, he'd be gone. Perhaps the proxy element saved him, but as I said, the issue is causing headache for the league and its newest money maker, they certainly don't want governments seeing the partnership between sports and gambling as in need of stricter regulations.
The problem is that the partnership between sports and betting does require strong and strict government oversight and regulation.

There's not much to discuss about this other than:
  1. What roster adjustments will need to be made when Pinto returns to the lineup. We will still have a cap squeeze at that time, so some kind of adjustment (waivers, subtraction, whatever) will need to be made. Looks like the same scenario when Chabot returns from injury.
  2. What year will they elect to lose the 1st rounder.
I guess if we get lucky, maybe the NHL will reduce the punishment. Maybe is the operative word.
Response to Qs:
1. We will still need to get someone off the roster to provide cap dollars to sign Pinto for 2023-24 (probably Kubalik).
2. 2026 to lose the first rounder as it is likely going to be a lower pick and its present value is lower too.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is largely how I view it as well. He got himself in some serious trouble, but managed to stay just this side of getting the full Pete Rose treatment. People should remember that the NHLPA negotiated his suspension on his behalf - the league was clearly pressing for a full season, and he should be grateful that the PA managed to bargain it down to half a season. The fact that Pinto and the NHLPA so quickly agreed, and were willing to sign non-disclosure agreements, also tells you that the facts in this case don't exactly cast Pinto in a flattering light. Now, he didn't kill or injure anyone driving drunk, didn't hurt anyone, etc., but he made a serious mistake with gambling, one that all players are warned to avoid. He is very fortunate to be in the situation he is in, getting a second chance and having it cost him less time than his shoulder injury did...

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
This is largely how I view it as well. He got himself in some serious trouble, but managed to stay just this side of getting the full Pete Rose treatment. People should remember that the NHLPA negotiated his suspension on his behalf - the league was clearly pressing for a full season, and he should be grateful that the PA managed to bargain it down to half a season. The fact that Pinto and the NHLPA so quickly agreed, and were willing to sign non-disclosure agreements, also tells you that the facts in this case don't exactly cast Pinto in a flattering light. Now, he didn't kill or injure anyone driving drunk, didn't hurt anyone, etc., but he made a serious mistake with gambling, one that all players are warned to avoid. He is very fortunate to be in the situation he is in, getting a second chance and having it cost him less time than his shoulder injury did...
His mistake, on the spectrum of how bad it was, is somewhere between full season suspension and criminal offence. Not quite to the level of criminality - we think - and not quite to the level of full season suspension. To me, that rules out a few things, unless something pops up about criminal liability. It's definitely somewhere in the murk of moral/ethical conduct and less in the realm of aiding underage gambling or match fixing.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Pinto's personal situation may be personal. But the fans could probably benefit from getting the same dos and donts presentation the PA must be giving to all players now. So we are all aware of what allows the league to maintain integrity while waist deep in gambling.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't care or need to know what went down with the Pinto situation.

It is gambling related and all sports leagues take this stuff very seriously: everyone involved makes a ton of cash off gambling so anything that could undermine that gets harshly punished.

What does knowing the minutia of what went down change for me, or for any fan? The severity of the penalty is pretty clear: whatever Pinto did, it was not ok.

Other players should want to know and they are the only ones who could argue thay they deserve to know.

Pinto will be fine, he just did something stupid and the League made an example of him.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Just 26 games to go. Smh
He better come back super jacked at least. Best shape of his life and ready to rock.

Tkachuk-Norris-Tarasenko
Giroux-Stutzle-Joseph
Greig-Pinto-Batherson
Kelly-Chartier-Kastelic

Kubalik traded for a 2nd.
Reinhardt, Crookshank, Jarventie callups.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The sports world and tv sports channels have sold out to the gambling industry in a huge way but want to pretend they have not.

Suspension yes, 41 games, half a season, is hypocritical. Support the industry efforts to pull in as many gamblers as possible, normalize it as much as possible and push betting all through a game on all kind of props. Then act shocked and need to "send a message" when a young man gets tripped up.

An original six or big market team, or established star player, would not get whacked like Pinto did either. The Senators are a handy target to send a message with. As to whether there have been other incidents, we will never know as the NHL is best in class on circling the wagons.

I agree that our media does dick all for putting pressure on the league.

If one of Toronto's top 3 centers were suspended for half the year without much of a story, best believe they would be bombarding the league demanding answers and ridiculing the league until the NHL softens their stance. They would literally harass the NHL for an explanation.

In Ottawa we just get "that's the punishment and there's nothing we can do about it. Let's move on."

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I agree that our media does dick all for putting pressure on the league.

If one of Toronto's top 3 centers were suspended for half the year without much of a story, best believe they would be bombarding the league demanding answers and ridiculing the league until the NHL softens their stance. They would literally harass the NHL for an explanation.

In Ottawa we just get "that's the punishment and there's nothing we can do about it. Let's move on."
"Safe to say, commissioner, that we learn from this and move on?"

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So what is the plan to make room for him coming back?

Trade Kubalik? Tarasenko?

I'm a big hell no on joseph. I think there's a chance we might have hit the jackpot on him.

If we trade Tank, should we lock up Pinto long term after Jan 1?
Kubalik will be gone. Just way too invisible.

Reactions: Icelevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad