News Article: Shane Pinto suspended 41 games for violating gambling rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The only way he has leverage is if the Senators are fighting for a playoff spot, and a player going on LTIR gives them an excess of cap space to use on Pinto beyond what they would get just by sending down a player.

The Senators may lose a draft pick because of the Dadonov fiasco. They are already low on picks if you look at the amount of past and future picks they have traded. So long as whatever Pinto gets on a 1 year deal this year is equal to or less than what the Senators think he will get on his next contract (re: qualifying offer), Pinto could force their hand to get a higher 1 year deal if they have the ability to do it due to LTIR.

For example, if they really think he deserves 1 year 1M, but they have the ability due to a player being on LTIR to pay him 1.5M, and they are fighting tooth and nail for a playoff spot, are they really going to turn down the shot at getting a free rental over a difference of 500k in space, which in this scenario where they don't want to burn a 1st or 2nd on a big rental, they won't use elsewhere anyways?

Without someone being on LTIR, it means they may have to trade someone away to pay Pinto more, which cancels out the idea that Pinto is a rental because they would lose a roster player to acquire him.

The above is moot if they are a basement team or a top team. In either of those situations, he would have a lot less leverage. He needs the Senators to be fighting for a playoff spot, but not comfortable.
Unless you know a player is out for the rest of the year, the example doesn’t really matter,

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The problem could have also been that the Pinto camp was asking to much & they were trying to talk them down & that didn't happen until he came to town. PD signed who he could while he could & maybe had a deal in place once they got the price they wanted, but who knows it's all speculation unless they come clean.
Based on past Dorion comments, I doubt he tells the whole story behind the Pinto negotiations.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Lebrun reported they were informed there was an investigation being held right before camp. At that point, they would not have known its outcome. Once they investigation was completed, the league informed the Senators to stop negotiating and not to sign a contract. It is believed this occurred when Pinto left Ottawa to return to Long Island, so in October after the regular season had started.
So what did they inform the team about?

That Pinto ordered gravy on his fries? That he was pounding double cheeseburgers?

When the league calls and says "we're investigating one of your players for the possibility of betting on NHL games" how do you think that plays? Is it possible a lifetime ban was on the table ala Pete Rose?

I don't put much stock into all offers to Pinto are rescinded. If the league informed the team about a potential gambling issue prior to camp, I mean sure you can continue to negotiate and examine trade scenarios but are you really going to pull the hammer on something until you know what the league is going to do?

So did the league tell the team what the investigation was about? And the possible ramifications of the situation?

I suppose one can believe that the team was informed and continued to pursue a contract and trade scenarios but couldn't get it done.

Or one could believe that the team continued to pursue contract a contract and trade scenarios but wouldn't pull the trigger until the investigation outcome was known.

To each their own.

Based on past Dorion comments, I doubt he tells the whole story behind the Pinto negotiations.
Doesn't seem like any of the impacted parties want that known

Reactions: Cosmix and Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I sure would like to understand the Pinto situation

Did I miss hear or did Andlauer say he was "getting help"

I was working and listening to the presser, might have misheard.
He did say he put a stop to getting Pinto signed because of the investigation

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I sure would like to understand the Pinto situation

Did I miss hear or did Andlauer say he was "getting help"

I was working and listening to the presser, might have misheard.
He did say he put a stop to getting Pinto signed because of the investigation
Pretty much. He said he considers gambling to be a serious problem and they will help pinto if he needs it kinda thing.
He was saying too much about it though and I’m not sure he thought it out enough before speaking but anyway.
Who knows. Maybe pinto does have a real problem. He certainly left it up for interpretation with his words.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Pretty much. He said he considers gambling to be a serious problem and they will help pinto if he needs it kinda thing.
He was saying too much about it though and I’m not sure he thought it out enough before speaking but anyway.
Who knows. Maybe pinto does have a real problem. He certainly left it up for interpretation with his words.
I thought he said "getting help" ? It's what caught my attention. He mentioned privacy and not getting into it further because of that.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sounds like Andlauer did not hear all the details on the Pinto situation until late.
It seems that some of the he called it truth , then something else ... did not come to him for some time.
At that time he put the kybosh on the contract negotiations.

This is interesting because of league letting the Sens know earlier , probably predating Andlauer coming in officially taking over, yet Andlauer seemed like he had been missing out on some of the info flow.

I'll have to listen to that part again.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sounds like Andlauer did not hear all the details on the Pinto situation until late.
It seems that some of the he called it truth , then something else ... did not come to him for some time.
At that time he put the kybosh on the contract negotiations.

This is interesting because of league letting the Sens know earlier , probably predating Andlauer coming in officially taking over, yet Andlauer seemed like he had been missing out on some of the info flow.

I'll have to listen to that part again.

I get the impression he found out around the time Pinto left Ottawa, so 13 Oct. Reports were Sens were informed just before camp started, but the investigation had be initiated early in the summer.

Messy situation

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I get the impression he found out around the time Pinto left Ottawa, so 13 Oct. Reports were Sens were informed just before camp started, but the investigation had be initiated early in the summer.

Messy situation
13:00+ minute mark he mentions Pinto pickle a little later he was asked about when they were made aware
He wasn't getting all the facts .. as he found out more . Really doesn't ellaborate

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
13:00+ minute mark he mentions Pinto pickle a little later he was asked about when they were made aware
He wasn't getting all the facts .. as he found out more . Really doesn't ellaborate
Shocking that Dorion didn’t let his own boss know and let him go in front of the microphone and talk about how pinto needs to be signed. All the while Dorion knows why he ain’t being signed lol. A little embarrassing

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Garrioch now with an Andlauer perspective on the Pinto situation

Claire asks questions on Pinto

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I finally re-listened to the press conference and it honestly sounds like what Andlauer is insinuating is that the league had notified the agent about the investigation early in the summer but had not notified the team until the start of training camp. If that's the case, holy shit, that's f***ing insane. They knew there was an on-going contract negotiation and withheld the information from the team during the investigation process.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Ya, but I think that's just for betting site commercials. I am pretty sure athletes can still have endorsement deals with sites. Ontario is a tiny market compared to legalized US markets.

At the very least it means that kids won't see McDavid and Matthews advertising betting on TSN and Sportsnet in Ontario.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
NHL seems to like setting examples to deter behavior league wide and coming down with kick in the balls penalties.

Twice in very short period they punish the Sens with the loss of a 1st round pick and the loss of Shane Pinto's services (if there was any cap space) for 41 games

Both incidents end up with the same person being called out for how he handled the process leading up to where they ended. He paid a big price.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
How does this whole situation work cap wise then? And how/when does the suspension begin counting?

If the sens sign him at the 41 game mark, does that count as having served the suspension? Do they need to sign him for the games to count and if they sign him do they face a cap hit for the suspended games?

Trying to sort out if they have any incentive to try and sign him now, or if the plan is just to wait till Christmas

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
How does this whole situation work cap wise then? And how/when does the suspension begin counting?

If the sens sign him at the 41 game mark, does that count as having served the suspension? Do they need to sign him for the games to count and if they sign him do they face a cap hit for the suspended games?

Trying to sort out if they have any incentive to try and sign him now, or if the plan is just to wait till Christmas
No cap hit thru the suspension . There is no contract. Suspension started Game 1
There is no obvious advantage to sign him early
Assuming there are no LTIRs at the time Pinto can come back, the Sens still need to make cap space for his contract although the thinking is Pinto will accept a lower contract when he returns
I assume if he signs for 1m $ for example...the 1m counts against the cap after 41 games or as of the sign date if after 41 games.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
LOL. I went to NHL.COM to watch the game recap, but FIRST I had to watch an advertisement for betting and gambling. 41 games is massive hypocrisy.
One thing I would say is that the NHL and the teams should be sitting their players down and explaining to them what is allowed and what isn't and what kind of penalties they could be looking at if they cross the line. I would "bet" the players had been given little info on this.. may be a news letter of sorts at best. If teams do not want to have player gambing issues and lose them for extended periods of time they should be gathering them up , sitting them down and explaining it. I would "bet" the Sens didn't do this. The Pinto situation certainly drew attention to a potential problem brewing . Its almost amazing there have not been other incidents.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Both Pinto & Chabot should come back sometime in January for the playoff push, it's like making a trade & getting two great players back.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
LOL. I went to NHL.COM to watch the game recap, but FIRST I had to watch an advertisement for betting and gambling. 41 games is massive hypocrisy.
Based on what? Only a few people know the reason for the suspension.

What if he gave his cousin, who's 18 in this scenario, access to his gambling account in a jurisdiction where the gambling age is 19+? It would have nothing to do with the NHL promoting gambling to people of legal gambling age. No more than the NHL promoting alcohol to people of legal drinking age and suspending a young athlete for buying alcohol for someone underage.

What if he gave information to someone about the games so they could gain an advantage betting?

What if he tried to defraud the betting site he was using in some way?

There's tons of what if scenarios that would merit suspension and don't make the NHL look hypocritical about sports gambling.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
The sports world and tv sports channels have sold out to the gambling industry in a huge way but want to pretend they have not.

Suspension yes, 41 games, half a season, is hypocritical. Support the industry efforts to pull in as many gamblers as possible, normalize it as much as possible and push betting all through a game on all kind of props. Then act shocked and need to "send a message" when a young man gets tripped up.

An original six or big market team, or established star player, would not get whacked like Pinto did either. The Senators are a handy target to send a message with. As to whether there have been other incidents, we will never know as the NHL is best in class on circling the wagons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad