News Article: Shane Pinto suspended 41 games for violating gambling rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
One thing I would say is that the NHL and the teams should be sitting their players down and explaining to them what is allowed and what isn't and what kind of penalties they could be looking at if they cross the line. I would "bet" the players had been given little info on this.. may be a news letter of sorts at best. If teams do not want to have player gambing issues and lose them for extended periods of time they should be gathering them up , sitting them down and explaining it. I would "bet" the Sens didn't do this. The Pinto situation certainly drew attention to a potential problem brewing . Its almost amazing there have not been other incidents.
The insiders were saying they were being informed by their teams and agents within days. Problem was they didn’t know the details, but I’m sure they got lessons on proxy betting and betting on games when in a different country from account, and betting in general.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The insiders were saying they were being informed by their teams and agents within days. Problem was they didn’t know the details, but I’m sure they got lessons on proxy betting and betting on games when in a different country from account, and betting in general.
Within days of what?
What makes you sure?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
So what is the plan to make room for him coming back?

Trade Kubalik? Tarasenko?

I'm a big hell no on joseph. I think there's a chance we might have hit the jackpot on him.

If we trade Tank, should we lock up Pinto long term after Jan 1?

ottawagm

May 6, 2023

I'm a big hell no on joseph. I think there's a chance we might have hit the jackpot on him.

I think they move Kubalik at this point he brings the least impact and has no movement limitations. Tarasenko has a NTC and would probably want to wait til the trade deadline to see who is in it and who wants him.

Reactions: Bileur and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Risky; I am not convinced he will become a 2nd line C.

I think they move Kubalik at this point he brings the least impact and has no movement limitations. Tarasenko has a NTC and would probably want to wait til the trade deadline to see who is in it and who wants him.
Yup. Kubalik and a 2nd round pick goes out the door. :)

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
LOL. I went to NHL.COM to watch the game recap, but FIRST I had to watch an advertisement for betting and gambling. 41 games is massive hypocrisy.
As someone who has been around gambling for a long time, I will be the first to say these advertisements are out of control and just disgusting.

However, like @BankStreetParade pointed out in his post, and like I said earlier, Pinto isn't suspended for betting on sports. Pinto did something bad, potentially law-breaking, and that's why he is suspended.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I imagine Pinto is going to be a good boy and will not rock the boat with a contract requiring us to make room for him, after all this kerfuffle.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

Very likely we will have 1-2 players rotating the IR for the rest of the season. We could also wait out signing him till the last minute. He also should sign at league min to help the team out after the embarrassment he caused. Don't think fitting Pinto in will be a problem.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As someone who has been around gambling a long time I will be the first to say these advertisements are out of control and just disgusting.

However like @BankStreetParade pointed out in his post and like I said earlier Pinto isn't suspended for betting on sports. Pinto did something bad potentially law breaking and that's why he is suspended.
If he did something law breaking (particularly something severe enough to warrant a 41 game suspension), wouldn't there likely be charges, or at least a criminal investigation?

I mean, Joe Corvo was charged with assaulting a waitress in 2002 with no suspension from the league (the king's suspended him internally for 3 games), Kane assaulted a cab driver and arrested for it, don't think he was suspended at all.

I mean, it's possible he did something illegal, but I think it's more probable he did something that would either embarrass the league or give the appearance of a potential for game fixing. So it's not so much the potential crime that upset the league, it's looked to other way lots of times with crimes, it's the fact that he jeopardized a big money partnership, or put the league's credibility on the line, even if his acts weren't serious crimes.

Reactions: Cosmix

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
If he did something law breaking (particularly something severe enough to warrant a 41 game suspension), wouldn't there likely be charges, or at least a criminal investigation?

I mean, Joe Corvo was charged with assaulting a waitress in 2002 with no suspension from the league (the king's suspended him internally for 3 games), Kane assaulted a cab driver and arrested for it, don't think he was suspended at all.

I mean, it's possible he did something illegal, but I think it's more probable he did something that would either embarrass the league or give the appearance of a potential for game fixing. So it's not so much the potential crime that upset the league, it's looked to other way lots of times with crimes, it's the fact that he jeopardized a big money partnership, or put the league's credibility on the line, even if his acts weren't serious crimes.
By potentially breaking the law, I mean letting someone use his account (potentially a minor) or having someone place bets for him on his account while he was in a state where it's illegal to place sports bets or bypassing it with a VPN. I don't mean something like money laundering or anything warranting jail time. If Pinto bet on NHL games and only got 41 games, he is the luckiest person in the world. We can only speculate because they won't tell us what he did, but we do know it involved his account. Now, depending on the address he registers with his account, there are different laws in place. As states and provinces legalize sports betting, there is a new set of rules compared to when it was just a gray area.

My main point is that Pinto didn't get suspended for betting on sports because he is allowed to bet on sports that are not in the NHL. You are correct he did something that could have potentially jeopardized the cash cow because there are now strict laws in place.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The "Insiders" were "outsiders" on this?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

My guess is that had they done that now they would be suspended for it.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I think you hit the underlying rationale on the head!

As someone who has been around gambling for a long time, I will be the first to say these advertisements are out of control and just disgusting.

However, like @BankStreetParade pointed out in his post, and like I said earlier, Pinto isn't suspended for betting on sports. Pinto did something bad, potentially law-breaking, and that's why he is suspended.

"law-breaking"?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
By potentially breaking the law, I mean letting someone use his account (potentially a minor) or having someone place bets for him on his account while he was in a state where it's illegal to place sports bets or bypassing it with a VPN. I don't mean something like money laundering or anything warranting jail time. If Pinto bet on NHL games and only got 41 games, he is the luckiest person in the world. We can only speculate because they won't tell us what he did, but we do know it involved his account. Now, depending on the address he registers with his account, there are different laws in place. As states and provinces legalize sports betting, there is a new set of rules compared to when it was just a gray area.

My main point is that Pinto didn't get suspended for betting on sports because he is allowed to bet on sports that is not the NHL.
Right, my point is more serious crimes than your proxy better being in the wrong state, or betting under age that have been broken by players without 41 game suspensions. I'm not suggesting he did gamble on games, I'm suggesting that the incident gave the appearance to the public that he might have. Appearances are almost as bad as having done it sometimes.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
"law-breaking"?
If I am in a state where sports betting is illegal it is against the law for me to place sports bets.

Right, my point is more serious crimes than your proxy better being in the wrong state, or betting under age that have been broken by players without 41 game suspensions. I'm not suggesting he did gamble on games, I'm suggesting that the incident gave the appearance to the public that he might have. Appearances are almost as bad as having done it sometimes.
100% sorry I edited my post to include that you are correct.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If I am in a state where sports betting is illegal it is against the law for me to place sports bets.

100% sorry I edited my post to include that you are correct.

If that was the transgression by Pinto, I think the State should have an issue and take action if they can, not the NHL necessarily.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
My guess is that had they done that now they would be suspended for it.
The Kane incident was in 2009, idk. Corvo, probably, but likely still not 41 games. Watson got 27 for Domestic violence in 2018 and severed 3 months probation.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The "incident" was completely unknown to the public before the NHL announced it.

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012

The fallacy of the common man, thinking the laws are uniformed. Public figures get away without legal punishment routinely for crimes common people get nailed for. I stated this the day he was suspended. If you, meor any other regular Jo blow was caught doing the actions of Pinto, we wouldn't have escaped easy. Notice also Andlauer saying they're getting Pinto the help he needs. The NHLPA negotiated this punishment. He is very lucky he got off lightly here. Regardless what the public thinks is harsh, it's literally the opposite of harsh. He is a real lucky guy here..

Looking forward to seeing him back in action for us in new year. Hoping this situation ignites a fire to produce in him

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The league needs to air this out and let the fans know what the hell happened. I mean parents are buying this guy's jersey for their kids and now there's this bizarre cloud hanging over his head?
The fact that the league made this all NDA looks as if there is something they are covering up. If it was bad enough to warrant 41 games, the fans should be told what it was. Full stop.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad