News Article: Shane Pinto suspended 41 games for violating gambling rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He’s the likely one to go but 4goals with his deployment, 21 goal pace, is pretty good for a guy who makes 2.5M and plays responsibly.
Yeah which means they should be getting something back for him. He clears more cap than Brannstrom and is easier to replace than a D man.

Pinto for Kubalik is an upgrade for the sens.

Reactions: Bileur and Icelevel

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah which means they should be getting something back for him. He clears more cap than Brannstrom and is easier to replace than a D man.

Pinto for Kubalik is an upgrade for the sens.
Absolutely, Centre or D over winger all day. I just hate the narrative that Kubalik is terrible, I mean he makes less than the league average, what were people expecting.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I agree that our media does dick all for putting pressure on the league.

If one of Toronto's top 3 centers were suspended for half the year without much of a story, best believe they would be bombarding the league demanding answers and ridiculing the league until the NHL softens their stance. They would literally harass the NHL for an explanation.

In Ottawa we just get "that's the punishment and there's nothing we can do about it. Let's move on."

Yup, and it would be unrelenting. The "negotiated" suspension is a spin to make it go down better for us. Negotiating outcomes depends on the position and strength of the parties, and in this one the NHL had all the clout and no outside pressure - not much of a negotiation.

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
This could really work out well for the sens if it tanks his value and he signs cheap.

Imagine getting Pinto, Bath and Formenton all severely underpaid due to their (alleged) off ice behaviour.

I feel bad for them, but they'll all be millionaires so not really that bad.

its a sure BET this will bring his value down

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Absolutely, Centre or D over winger all day. I just hate the narrative that Kubalik is terrible, I mean he makes less than the league average, what were people expecting.
He isnt terrible, I dont like the idea of trading him but unless its a deal around Chabot for a RD and cap space its the only other play they have unfortunately.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
That seems illegal; Pinto isn't supposed to be around the team or using the facilities yet.

I'm going to e-mail Bettman to make sure he's aware of this.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That seems illegal; Pinto isn't supposed to be around the team or using the facilities yet.

I'm going to e-mail Bettman to make sure he's aware of this.
I was going to say, pretty sure he isn’t allowed to be around the team, including management and coaches, or facilities

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was going to say, pretty sure he isn’t allowed to be around the team, including management and coaches, or facilities
The mentioned he wouldn't be allowed until close to when the suspension was over, I'm guessing we reached that point.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It’s not a team facility but Alfie might have just cost another lost pick.

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021

From the article:

Pinto, 22, isn’t allowed to use the Canadian Tire Centre or skate with Senators players until Jan. 11, which would be 10 days before he became eligible to suit up against the Philadelphia Flyers on Jan. 21.

There is nothing in NHL rules blocking Pinto from using the Bell Sensplex and the Senators reached out to officials at the league office before having Pinto return to town.

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
At this point, does Shane take whatever the team offers him? Or does his agent offer him more shitty advice and tell him to sit out?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
So if bowtie bruce is right, and pinto signs for $875,000 with half the season gone, does that pump the annual cap hit up to about $1.75M?

Or is he taking $875K/2 cash for the remainder of the season ($437K) and getting a cap hit of $875?

Anyone know if the latter situation is possible? i.e., if you can offer a contract below league minimum as long as it prorates up to the minimum over the full year?

Aside from these questions, what is pintos status after this season? UFA? RFA?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So if bowtie bruce is right, and pinto signs for $875,000 with half the season gone, does that pump the annual cap hit up to about $1.75M?

Or is he taking $875K/2 cash for the remainder of the season ($437K) and getting a cap hit of $875?

Anyone know if the latter situation is possible? i.e., if you can offer a contract below league minimum as long as it prorates up to the minimum over the full year?

If its 1 year 875 , the cap hit will be 875 (AAV) he'll get paid 1/2 or 41 games worth that he is eligible to play.
He'll be an RFA

Reactions: dumbdick

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Haven’t seen any confirmation on it but I think the prorated cap hit rule only applies to group 2 RFA’s the same way the Dec 1 deadline does. Pinto being a 10.2(c) RFA, I don’t believe those same rules apply, he was also ineligible for offer sheets. He will become a group 2 RFA after his next contract.

Reactions: dumbdick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille