Confirmed with Link: Shane Churla leaves Habs to become Panthers director of amateur scouting

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If he is running the show inside out then it doesn't any sense to have a director below.
The directors, by definition, direct. They focus on the details and direct.

Well I would bet he got the title, got the money to go with it, but the role wasn't the same. Like I said, I have no doubt he directed his group. But will never believe like ANY other director that he had the last word on anything. And frankly, he won't say it, but I will always suspect that's why he left. You don't leave a job for the same job IF it's actually the same job. It's not. He will have the last word in Florida.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well I would bet he got the title, got the money to go with it, but the role wasn't the same. Like I said, I have no doubt he directed his group. But will never believe like ANY other director that he had the last word on anything. And frankly, he won't say it, but I will always suspect that's why he left. You don't leave a job for the same job IF it's actually the same job. It's not. He will have the last word in Florida.

Well you don't know what was in his contract so you can't really say any of that. Again, don't know why they would name him a director if he wasn't that. Makes no sense. You're not going to promote a clerk to management, up his title, up his salary, without giving him more responsibilities.
Directors lead the players, Timmins lead the directors. His job still requires him to scout and remain well informed about the prospects, but that's from a higher level.

Churla could have agreed to this job because he hates living in Montreal, or he just wants a change of scenary, or whatever. You don't actually know any of this.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Well you don't know what was in his contract so you can't really say any of that. Again, don't know why they would name him a director if he wasn't that. Makes no sense. You're not going to promote a clerk to management, up his title, up his salary, without giving him more responsibilities.
Directors lead the players, Timmins lead the directors. His job still requires him to scout and remain well informed about the prospects, but that's from a higher level.

Churla could have agreed to this job because he hates living in Montreal, or he just wants a change of scenary, or whatever. You don't actually know any of this.

What I know is this....tell me WHICH director of amateur scouting in the ENTIRE league is NOT the one who names the prospects they pick? Tell me which Director of Amateur Scouting does NOT run the show when it's time to make a final list? Tell me which Director of Amateur Scouting THAT we know is not seated next to the GM at the draft? That I know. That we all know.

We also know that MOST of the time, guys do not move for a lateral position unless it's to move closer to family.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What I know is this....tell me WHICH director of amateur scouting in the ENTIRE league is NOT the one who names the prospects they pick? Tell me which Director of Amateur Scouting does NOT run the show when it's time to make a final list? Tell me which Director of Amateur Scouting THAT we know is not seated next to the GM at the draft? That I know. That we all know.

We also know that MOST of the time, guys do not move for a lateral position unless it's to move closer to family.

I mean, you're answering your own question mate. Going by your words, everything points towards the Director, but because Timmins is being vocal and sitting next to Bergey, somehow the director isn't the one running the show?
''Sitting next to GM'' or ''Announcing the draft pick'' isn't going to be part of any contract. That doesn't Timmins is the one who's on hands about all the selections. But maybe that's part of why Churla, Timmins is sitting back and taking credit for the work his director did. This is pretty common actually, across all industries. My brother quit his job as a patent agent because his boss would write his name on the reports instead of my brother's.

So I can't tell you why Timmins is the one announcing the picks or sitting next to Bergey (although the table is full, it's not just these two), but what I can say is, no organization is going to promote/hire someone as a Director if he isn't going to be that job.

And btw, Churla is right there next to Timmins at the table:

Like I said before, things seem clear to me. Churla is the one who supervises and directs all the scouts through the year, he keeps a close relation with Timmins who he reports to on a daily/weekly. Timmins will rely on these reports to strategize and pass on his guidance to Bergevin.
There are a lot of things to cover, Timmins and Mellanby are both assistant GMs, each of them come from a scouting background.
Timmins is amateur drafting, Mellanby is pro scouting, and a big part of their job is to oversee those departments. Both of them have directors under them, Churla was director of amateur, Crawford is director of pro.
Look at the 3min mark when they start discussing what to do, Timmins asks Churla what to do and he tells him to pick Caufield. Timmins then tells Bergevin to pick Caufield.
You can see it's the same when he discusses potential pro trades with Mellanby, who's sitting next to him and Crawford on the side. Same thing.

Not sure what you're having issues with here. Makes perfect sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I mean, you're answering your own question mate. Going by your words, everything points towards the Director, but because Timmins is being vocal and sitting next to Bergey, somehow the director isn't the one running the show?
''Sitting next to GM'' or ''Announcing the draft pick'' isn't going to be part of any contract. That doesn't Timmins is the one who's on hands about all the selections. But maybe that's part of why Churla, Timmins is sitting back and taking credit for the work his director did. This is pretty common actually, across all industries. My brother quit his job as a patent agent because his boss would write his name on the reports instead of my brother's.

So I can't tell you why Timmins is the one announcing the picks or sitting next to Bergey (although the table is full, it's not just these two), but what I can say is, no organization is going to promote/hire someone as a Director if he isn't going to be that job.

And btw, Churla is right there next to Timmins at the table:

Like I said before, things seem clear to me. Churla is the one who supervises and directs all the scouts through the year, he keeps a close relation with Timmins who he reports to on a daily/weekly. Timmins will rely on these reports to strategize and pass on his guidance to Bergevin.
There are a lot of things to cover, Timmins and Mellanby are both assistant GMs, each of them come from a scouting background.
Timmins is amateur drafting, Mellanby is pro scouting, and a big part of their job is to oversee those departments. Both of them have directors under them, Churla was director of amateur, Crawford is director of pro.
Look at the 3min mark when they start discussing what to do, Timmins asks Churla what to do and he tells him to pick Caufield. Timmins then tells Bergevin to pick Caufield.
You can see it's the same when he discusses potential pro trades with Mellanby, who's sitting next to him and Crawford on the side. Same thing.

Not sure what you're having issues with here. Makes perfect sense to me.

Here you go mate. If you don't read french...here's what I just found....I didn't even know that interview existed. And just before somebody wants to tell me that I had to know...anybody who follows me KNOW that I've been saying that for quite some time now. After reading that article, not even sure anymore that he was doing what I said he did......

So here are the FACTS. Unless you want to tell me that this article is pure invention and that he never talked to Wilson and Churla.

« Marc avait tenté de le garder en lui offrant un autre contrat. Mais il a accepté ce poste en Floride. C’est une promotion pour lui. Nous sommes déçus de le perdre, mais heureux pour lui. Marc a toujours dit qu’il n’empêcherait jamais un de ses employés d’améliorer son sort au sein d’une autre organisation si l’occasion se présentait », a déclaré Paul Wilson, vice-président aux communications du Canadien, dans un échange de micromessages.

Translation. Rick Wilson said that Bergevin wanted to keep him but Churla accepted the job in Florida. IT WAS A PROMOTION FOR HIM. Marc always said that he will never make a guy lose the opportunity to IMPROVE his job if the occasion came.

Entière responsabilité
En fait, chez les Panthers, l’homme de 55 ans occupera le même poste que celui qu’il occupait chez le Canadien. Toutefois, l’organigramme étant différent, c’est lui qui sera aux commandes de tout le recrutement amateur.
« Avec le Canadien, j’avais le titre, mais pas l’éventail complet de la fonction. Trevor Timmins était le maître à bord. Malgré la particularité de cette situation, la dynamique était superbe. C’est un des gars les plus organisés que j’ai vus de ma vie », a lancé Churla.
« Ma force est de me rendre à l’aréna et d’évaluer les joueurs, a-t-il poursuivi. Ça va me manquer. Toutefois, je suis excité à l’idée de diriger ma propre équipe de recruteurs et d’implanter ma philosophie. »

TRANSLATION:
Churla will occupy the same job that he did with the Habs. BUT, since the organizational chart is different, HE IS GOING TO BE THE ONE IN CHARGE OF ALL AMATEUR SCOUTING.

''With the Habs, I had the title but not everything that related to it. TREVOER TIMMINS WAS THE GUY IN CHARGE.....My strength was to go in the arena and evaluate players. HOWEVER, I AM EXCITED TO MANAGE MY OWN SCOUTING TEAM AND IMPLANT MY OWN PHILOSOPHY.'' SAYS CHURLA.

Décision déchirante

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Here you go mate. If you don't read french...here's what I just found....I didn't even know that interview existed. And just before somebody wants to tell me that I had to know...anybody who follows me KNOW that I've been saying that for quite some time now. After reading that article, not even sure anymore that he was doing what I said he did......

So here are the FACTS. Unless you want to tell me that this article is pure invention and that he never talked to Wilson and Churla.

« Marc avait tenté de le garder en lui offrant un autre contrat. Mais il a accepté ce poste en Floride. C’est une promotion pour lui. Nous sommes déçus de le perdre, mais heureux pour lui. Marc a toujours dit qu’il n’empêcherait jamais un de ses employés d’améliorer son sort au sein d’une autre organisation si l’occasion se présentait », a déclaré Paul Wilson, vice-président aux communications du Canadien, dans un échange de micromessages.

Translation. Rick Wilson said that Bergevin wanted to keep him but Churla accepted the job in Florida. IT WAS A PROMOTION FOR HIM. Marc always said that he will never make a guy lose the opportunity to IMPROVE his job if the occasion came.

Entière responsabilité
En fait, chez les Panthers, l’homme de 55 ans occupera le même poste que celui qu’il occupait chez le Canadien. Toutefois, l’organigramme étant différent, c’est lui qui sera aux commandes de tout le recrutement amateur.
« Avec le Canadien, j’avais le titre, mais pas l’éventail complet de la fonction. Trevor Timmins était le maître à bord. Malgré la particularité de cette situation, la dynamique était superbe. C’est un des gars les plus organisés que j’ai vus de ma vie », a lancé Churla.
« Ma force est de me rendre à l’aréna et d’évaluer les joueurs, a-t-il poursuivi. Ça va me manquer. Toutefois, je suis excité à l’idée de diriger ma propre équipe de recruteurs et d’implanter ma philosophie. »

TRANSLATION:
Churla will occupy the same job that he did with the Habs. BUT, since the organizational chart is different, HE IS GOING TO BE THE ONE IN CHARGE OF ALL AMATEUR SCOUTING.

''With the Habs, I had the title but not everything that related to it. TREVOER TIMMINS WAS THE GUY IN CHARGE.....My strength was to go in the arena and evaluate players. HOWEVER, I AM EXCITED TO MANAGE MY OWN SCOUTING TEAM AND IMPLANT MY OWN PHILOSOPHY.'' SAYS CHURLA.

Décision déchirante

Well, there's also a video of Timmins turning to Churla asking who to pick and then repeats the name to Bergevin. So, contradicting pieces of evidence.
I figured he'd also be partake in the hiring process. I seriously doubt Timmins doesn't consult with Churla on new scouts hiring. They even consult coaches for some hirings. Churla is like his right hand man.
Clearly Churla was to be in full control of the amateur scouting department, which is fine, I never argued he had full reigns here. Matter of fact, I said he reported to Timmins and followed the organization's vision.

In another video they also mention how Marty Lapointe is involved in the process with both Timmins and Churla. So maybe that's what he meant, too many cooks in the kitchen, and he wants to have full reigns.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Well, there's also a video of Timmins turning to Churla asking who to pick and then repeats the name to Bergevin. So, contradicting pieces of evidence.
I figured he'd also be partake in the hiring process. I seriously doubt Timmins doesn't consult with Churla on new scouts hiring. They even consult coaches for some hirings. Churla is like his right hand man.
Clearly Churla was to be in full control of the amateur scouting department, which is fine, I never argued he had full reigns here. Matter of fact, I said he reported to Timmins and followed the organization's vision.

In another video they also mention how Marty Lapointe is involved in the process with both Timmins and Churla. So maybe that's what he meant, too many cooks in the kitchen, and he wants to have full reigns.

He's asking Churla his opinion. Of course he will. But frankly, more like an assistant head Scout than a head scout. As said by Churla himself in that article. You said that the director is running the show no matter where he sits. Well the Director was Churla. And by his own words, he was NOT running the show. He went to Florida to run the show. Churla himself said that his main role was to scout. So he was a scout. Maybe put him head of scouts. But CLEARLY it was Timmins show. And Churla wanted his own show. The proof is right there man.

You said the Churla was running the show. You went as far as thinking that Timmins was taking credit for what Churla had done.

And on the vid, Timmins is the first one to say I'd say Caufield. Then Churla agrees. And Timmins goes back to Bergie. But Timmins had already put Caufield's name out there.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
In the end, another guy like Carrière whose departure won't change a single thing.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's asking Churla his opinion. Of course he will. But frankly, more like an assistant head Scout than a head scout. As said by Churla himself in that article. You said that the director is running the show no matter where he sits. Well the Director was Churla. And by his own words, he was NOT running the show. He went to Florida to run the show. Churla himself said that his main role was to scout. So he was a scout. Maybe put him head of scouts. But CLEARLY it was Timmins show. And Churla wanted his own show. The proof is right there man.

You said the Churla was running the show. You went as far as thinking that Timmins was taking credit for what Churla had done.

And on the vid, Timmins is the first one to say I'd say Caufield. Then Churla agrees. And Timmins goes back to Bergie. But Timmins had already put Caufield's name out there.

I didn't say the Director is running the show, actually I said he answers to Timmins and the vision is set from higher up. I even mentioned Timmins also still does his share of scouting and he said he watches over 200 games. If Churla doesn't want to scout then, I'm not exactly sure what he's going to do in Florida. Director of scouting's main role is still going to be scouting, how could it not?
Where I was maybe wrong is in the hiring of staff, that being said, I'm pretty sure both are involved.
Heck, they even mention how Marty Lapointe is involved.
Bergevin did mention how he doesn't believe in one man running a show and he wants everyone to work together as a team.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
What it sounds like to me is Churla just wants to run the show completely, not that Timmins is overbearing. He wants to be the one controling everything amateur draft related, build his team, his vision, and work towards that.
That was never going to happen here, which is fine.

Reactions: montreal

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
On that note, can someone explain to me what Martin Lapointe actually does? Another one with a big title that does nothing.

The same thing he did after he signed his huge contract with Boston. Nothing.

Reactions: EXPOS123

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
We'll see about Churla. They didn't have many picks in most drafts 2008-2016, and there were some weak ones, but the habs did better in late rounds than in the early ones. Since 2017 their high picks seem to be doing better, as one would expect. I'd be interested to know who was involved in which picks. Their relatively off the board picks seem to be hitting more lately, but that could be chance.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
We'll see about Churla. They didn't have many picks in most drafts 2008-2016, and there were some weak ones, but the habs did better in late rounds than in the early ones. Since 2017 their high picks seem to be doing better, as one would expect. I'd be interested to know who was involved in which picks. Their relatively off the board picks seem to be hitting more lately, but that could be chance.

Everybody is responsible. Somebody is responsible. But there's ONLY 1 GUY who takes the final decision. And it was, it is and seems will ever will be Timmins.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I didn't say the Director is running the show, actually I said he answers to Timmins and the vision is set from higher up. I even mentioned Timmins also still does his share of scouting and he said he watches over 200 games. If Churla doesn't want to scout then, I'm not exactly sure what he's going to do in Florida. Director of scouting's main role is still going to be scouting, how could it not?
Where I was maybe wrong is in the hiring of staff, that being said, I'm pretty sure both are involved.
Heck, they even mention how Marty Lapointe is involved.
Bergevin did mention how he doesn't believe in one man running a show and he wants everyone to work together as a team.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
What it sounds like to me is Churla just wants to run the show completely, not that Timmins is overbearing. He wants to be the one controling everything amateur draft related, build his team, his vision, and work towards that.
That was never going to happen here, which is fine.

But, again, a Director of Amateur Scouting does all that. Elsewhere. Like Churla said, he got the title but not with what went with that. Again, as you are again going to say, but that I have no proof, my take is that Timmins loves to be the Director of Amateur Scouting. But, in order to keep him on board, he got promotion after promotion and the money that comes with it. While keeping the job he loves the most. Clearly, he needed a right-hand man to do a few things and they decided to name Churla and thought that in order to get him, to name a Director WITH the salary that goes with it...but not with the job. As Churla described himself.

There's nothing wrong with any of that. But it was false that Churla had the final decision. Was wrong to state that he was just like any other DIrector of Amateur scouting. I always thought that to be. And now confirmed by the man himself.

At first, I thought that Churla at best was in charge of scheduling of scouts and in charge of getting those reports back. Geez, I'm not even sure it was him. BUt you have to hope that he was.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Everybody is responsible. Somebody is responsible. But there's ONLY 1 GUY who takes the final decision. And it was, it is and seems will ever will be Timmins.

Sure, I'm just worried that if the decisions got better lately, and if it was due to Churla, then they may go back to picking busts now that he's gone. But then not many of those draft decisions that look good now have finished developing, the prospect pool may look much shallower as the prospects try to make the jump to higher levels.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Sure, I'm just worried that if the decisions got better lately, and if it was due to Churla, then they may go back to picking busts now that he's gone. But then not many of those draft decisions that look good now have finished developing, the prospect pool may look much shallower as the prospects try to make the jump to higher levels.

It will be impossible to know. First, Lefebvre is gone. So there's that route. Then, we have more picks to choose from. And better picks to choose from.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
But, again, a Director of Amateur Scouting does all that. Elsewhere. Like Churla said, he got the title but not with what went with that. Again, as you are again going to say, but that I have no proof, my take is that Timmins loves to be the Director of Amateur Scouting. But, in order to keep him on board, he got promotion after promotion and the money that comes with it. While keeping the job he loves the most. Clearly, he needed a right-hand man to do a few things and they decided to name Churla and thought that in order to get him, to name a Director WITH the salary that goes with it...but not with the job. As Churla described himself.

There's nothing wrong with any of that. But it was false that Churla had the final decision. Was wrong to state that he was just like any other DIrector of Amateur scouting. I always thought that to be. And now confirmed by the man himself.

At first, I thought that Churla at best was in charge of scheduling of scouts and in charge of getting those reports back. Geez, I'm not even sure it was him. BUt you have to hope that he was.

Meh, it all depends on how your team is structured and the personel in place. Sounds like Churla just wanted to be the go-to guy to run that department. That wasn't going to happen with Timmins here for obvious reasons.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Meh, it all depends on how your team is structured and the personel in place. Sounds like Churla just wanted to be the go-to guy to run that department. That wasn't going to happen with Timmins here for obvious reasons.

Thing is Kriss, the Director of Amateur Scouting is the go-to-guy. That's his job to be. No Assistant GM handles the draft. They support the GM in mostly professional duties. That's my sole and only point. Churla was not your typical Director. Says the man himself. That,s all.

I've been bashed for talking about thinks I knew nothing about. Well in this case, seems I wasn't far off.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Thing is Kriss, the Director of Amateur Scouting is the go-to-guy. That's his job to be. No Assistant GM handles the draft. They support the GM in mostly professional duties. That's my sole and only point. Churla was not your typical Director. Says the man himself. That,s all.

I've been bashed for talking about thinks I knew nothing about. Well in this case, seems I wasn't far off.

Some teams have different operations mate, simple as that. If I have an asst-GM with 20+ years of scouting experience, it would be a bit silly not to use his massive expertise. But they don't want him to focus solely on that, so he helps in other capacities, and that's where Churla came in as a Director.
Anyways mate, Churla is gone so let's see what happens next.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Entière responsabilité

TRANSLATION:

Décision déchirante

Lmao, talk about checkmate.
It was clear he was really more of a puppet here but you just confirmed it, good work

Reactions: Whitesnake

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Some teams have different operations mate, simple as that. If I have an asst-GM with 20+ years of scouting experience, it would be a bit silly not to use his massive expertise. But they don't want him to focus solely on that, so he helps in other capacities, and that's where Churla came in as a Director.
Anyways mate, Churla is gone so let's see what happens next.

In StLouis, Kekalainen was an Assistant GM AND Director of Amateur scouting. Did both. St-Louis didn't pretend to have a Director of Amateur scouting. And now in Columbus, despite the big experience from Kekalainen as a Head scout, they do have a Director in Siren. And Siren is the go to guy. Obviously, Kekalainen will do just like Bergevin does and see players sometimes and have opinions on them. But it's Siren's call. Kekalainen recognizes that the draft it's the scout's show. Not his. Despite his experience.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Really curious to see if we'll hire someone. Again, whether it holds a Director position, it will be the same. If I'm Timmins, I have somebody who takes care of scheduling. Of priorities in games. Or getting all those reports back. Geez...almost a secretary. But you won't attract a hockey guy with that title. Still until proven otherwise, it will always be Timmins show.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Churla going to be missed. Our drafting improved when he came on board. We picked some good picks. Primeau, Romanov, Norlinder. Draft from 2008 to 2016 only pick of their caliber was Gallagher. In 3 drafts we got triple the return we did in previous 9 drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00