Confirmed with Link: Shane Churla leaves Habs to become Panthers director of amateur scouting

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nobody will ever convince me that Timmins picks players he doesn' t like himself no matter who recommands it.

I doubt he sees every single pick every single year. There's got to be a couple over his career that he hasn't seen. I know he watches a lot of games but in a situation like in '16 when Rockstrom pounded the table for Arvid Henriksson, did Timmins travel to Sweden to watch him in any of the 36 games he played in the J18 that year? maybe but it also could be logical that he didn't unless the plan all along was to trade a 7th round pick to use on him.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Eric Crawford used to be our Western Scout, he's a total flop. They promoted him. That's how you get ahead on this team, fail hard for years, your promotion will be incoming.

Crawford's a pro scout. He was a pro scout with Vancouver as well.

Reactions: Vachon23

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He was our Western scout.

Western pro scout for a year then Director of pro scouting. He was never an amateur scout for Montreal.

Eric Crawford Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects

2015-16
3.png
Montréal Canadiens
NHLScoutPro Scout
2016-17
3.png
Montréal Canadiens
NHLDir. of Professional Scouting
2017-18
3.png
Montréal Canadiens
2018-19
3.png
Montréal Canadiens
2019-20
3.png
Montréal Canadiens
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
You can credit him for "finds" like Benn, Davidson, Reilly and Hemsky.

Probably Alzner too, as he was director at that point.

EDIT: Our western scouts was the late Elmer Benning (who gave us Gallagher) from 2000-2019.

Also had Alvin Backus 2011-2018.

We also have Ken Morin 2015-2020 (I assume ongoing but maybe not as he is not on the Canadiens website anymore) for the WHL.

Our scouting department did shrink in recent years, so we should probably get some more.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Western pro scout for a year then Director of pro scouting. He was never an amateur scout for Montreal.

Eric Crawford Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects

2015-16
3.png
Montréal Canadiens
NHLScoutPro Scout
2016-17
3.png
Montréal Canadiens
2017-18
3.png
Montréal Canadiens
2018-19
3.png
Montréal Canadiens
2019-20
3.png
Montréal Canadiens
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
You can credit him for "finds" like Benn, Davidson, Reilly and Hemsky.

Probably Alzner too, as he was director at that point.

EDIT: Our western scouts was the late Elmer Benning (who gave us Gallagher) from 2000-2019.

Also had Alvin Backus 2011-2018.

We also have Ken Morin 2015-2020 (I assume ongoing but maybe not as he is not on the Canadiens website anymore) for the WHL.

Our scouting department did shrink in recent years, so we should probably get some more.

You can credit him for Ott, Martinsen and King too.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
You just gave me bad chills from that deadline. We had a division leading team in a wide open East and the one thing the team needed was scoring. So what does Bergevin do? Double down on size and ignores the glaring problem of scoring.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
You just gave me bad chills from that deadline. We had a division leading team in a wide open East and the one thing the team needed was scoring. So what does Bergevin do? Double down on size and ignores the glaring problem of scoring.

Yeah, and Crawford gave him the intel on what players to get out west lol. Two turds , what a wasted opportunity.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Churla going to be missed. We drafted much better with him organizing the draft. He took over in 2017. He ran a good draft.

Started to see it in the bubble with Koktaneimi maturing. He is going to be a good player. Romanov will be shot in the arm this season. Caufield at end of season also. Makes 3 big additions less than a year. Another 3 be coming within next year or two. Norlinder, Guhle, Primeau.

He did better job than other guy. From 2008 to 2016 we drafted poor. Timmins traded up later in first round to get Tinordi. He must been big on him to give up a 2nd to move up 4 slots late in first. Galchenyuk had no work ethic. Leblanc didn't like hockey. Many mistakes.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Churla going to be missed. We drafted much better with him organizing the draft. He took over in 2017. He ran a good draft.

Started to see it in the bubble with Koktaneimi maturing. He is going to be a good player. Romanov will be shot in the arm this season. Caufield at end of season also. Makes 3 big additions less than a year. Another 3 be coming within next year or two. Norlinder, Guhle, Primeau.

He did better job than other guy. From 2008 to 2016 we drafted poor. Timmins traded up later in first round to get Tinordi. He must been big on him to give up a 2nd to move up 4 slots late in first. Galchenyuk had no work ethic. Leblanc didn't like hockey. Many mistakes.

While Churla does deserve credit, Timmins is the one who truly runs the amateur scouting and drafting. So since 2017, Timmins also deserves credit.

And the reason the team has been drafting better since 2017 is that the organization changed their plan. They went from trading picks for immediate help to moving pieces and banking more draft picks.

Also the "other guy" didn't exactly have many choices for many years.

2008: No 1st round pick. His first pick was at 56th with Kristo.
2009: One 1st round pick (Leblanc) and then picking again in the 3rd round. No 2nd round pick.
2010: One 1st round pick (Tinordi) and his next pick was in the 4th round. No 2nd or 3rd round picks. He got Gallagher in the 5th.
2011: One 1st round pick (Beaulieu) and his next pick was in the 4th round. For the second year in a row, he had no 2nd round pick or 3rd round pick.
2012: Galchenyuk in the 1st, that brought them Domi and now Anderson. Collberg who brought them Vanek in 2014 where they reached the ECF. And Hudon who has been depth.
2013: Lehkonen in the 2nd. Reway in the 4th (unfortunately had health problems but until then, he looked like he was going to be a good one).
2014: Evans in the 7th
2015: Juulsen in the 1st (hope he stays healthy), Vejdemo in the 3rd, who is depth. Simon Bourque in the 6th that although he wasn't the coveted prospect, he was used to acquire Armia.
2016: Sergachev in the 1st. Mete in the 4th.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I doubt he sees every single pick every single year. There's got to be a couple over his career that he hasn't seen. I know he watches a lot of games but in a situation like in '16 when Rockstrom pounded the table for Arvid Henriksson, did Timmins travel to Sweden to watch him in any of the 36 games he played in the J18 that year? maybe but it also could be logical that he didn't unless the plan all along was to trade a 7th round pick to use on him.

There is no way in today's hockey that Timmins didn'T see at the very least some vids of his games. I will never believe this. Of course, chances are Rockstrom saw him more and live something we don't know Timmins did. See...those are questions that instead of always asking about french people, some journalists could ask Timmins. In 17 years....I'm pretty sure that NOBODY has ever asked that question....

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
There is no way in today's hockey that Timmins didn'T see at the very least some vids of his games. I will never believe this. Of course, chances are Rockstrom saw him more and live something we don't know Timmins did. See...those are questions that instead of always asking about french people, some journalists could ask Timmins. In 17 years....I'm pretty sure that NOBODY has ever asked that question....

I agree. He has been asked that question about certain prospects, but not nearly enough. I remember him saying that they really started to pay attention to Romanov at the World Junior A Challenge. He had mentioned something like Romanov and Denisenko were the two stand outs for Russia. And the fact it was on the smaller ice surface helped them take more notice. He had said that he and Churla went to Russia to watch him live with CSKA 2.

I don't think he gets asked much of those types of questions after the draft because that little scrum doesn't last long enough. However, sometimes he does radio interviews days after and he divulges a few more details. But I agree that I'd like more insight on how it happened.

Reactions: Whitesnake

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I agree. He has been asked that question about certain prospects, but not nearly enough. I remember him saying that they really started to pay attention to Romanov at the World Junior A Challenge. He had mentioned something like Romanov and Denisenko were the two stand outs for Russia. And the fact it was on the smaller ice surface helped them take more notice. He had said that he and Churla went to Russia to watch him live with CSKA 2.

I don't think he gets asked much of those types of questions after the draft because that little scrum doesn't last long enough. However, sometimes he does radio interviews days after and he divulges a few more details. But I agree that I'd like more insight on how it happened.

Insane that we learned exactly Churla role when he LEFT the Habs....

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

Romanov was invited at the Euro Habs evaluation camp. that's where they also see the big potential of the player as a player and as a good leader ( players really like him )

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

how to do watch J18 games since I don't know of them to be streamed anywhere, plus we are talking about a nothing prospect, it seems fair that he didn't know who he was at the draft, I find it hard to believe he would know say 300 players each year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

we did terrible while drafting out west while he was here. 20016 we did very well considering we had 1 top 60 pick, 2 NHL defensemen is a good haul all things considered.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

LOL! You argued for several posts that he was responsible for poor amateur scouting when he was never an amateur scout. Now you've switched gears to hammering for any mistakes by pro scouting (despite a pretty darn good trade record by the Habs in recent years). Haters gonna hate!

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
LOL! You argued for several posts that he was responsible for poor amateur scouting when he was never an amateur scout. Now you've switched gears to hammering for any mistakes by pro scouting (despite a pretty darn good trade record by the Habs in recent years). Haters gonna hate!

Here's a refresher

stop defending this dud.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille