Confirmed with Link: Shane Churla leaves Habs to become Panthers director of amateur scouting

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Was it already his role here? Director of amateur scouting group. Im just wondering why he would change for the same role

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So who's our head of amateur scouting now? Timmins back in the role until we find another body or promote within? I don't see anyone internally that can do that job. Especially when I see names like Donald Audette as an amateur scout.

Reactions: Hins77

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I still have a hard time understanding Churla and Timmin's dynamic. It must be because even tho he's the AGM, Timmins seems to still have full control over the drafting process. I wonder if it had any sort of impact over Churla's decision to leave.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Was it already his role here? Director of amateur scouting group. Im just wondering why he would change for the same role

Ceiling probably. With Bergevin consecrated GM until the Sun die and no one in the Habs front office getting fired, ever. His only way up the ladder was for one of the AGM to get a GM job somewhere else, which doesn't happen often. Plus he can go chill with Dudley in Florida.

Reactions: CapSpace

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Honestly, we could have the entire amateur scouting staff poached and it wouldn't really be a big loss based on last 10 years. :laugh:

The roster is still living off 2007/2005/2010:

Price (2005)
Gallagher (2010)
Tatar/Suzuki (Pacioretty - 2007)
Weber (Subban - 2007)

#1 C, #1 goal scorer, #1 point scorer, #1 D, #1 G.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I still have a hard time understanding Churla and Timmin's dynamic. It must be because even tho he's the AGM, Timmins seems to still have full control over the drafting process. I wonder if it had any sort of impact over Churla's decision to leave.

When was Churla's contract expected to expire? Might have something to do with that where he might have 1 year left and felt he could be a lame duck? Promote Ducharme is what I say! Something he would be interested in? Not sure.

Habs can use some youth mixed in our management team IMO. Timmins is still heavily involved in the scouting so bring in someone young with connections like Ducharme? If not Ducharme, someone with his kind of resume.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ceiling probably. With Bergevin consecrated GM until the Sun die and no one in the Habs front office getting fired, ever. His only way up the ladder was for one of the AGM to get a GM job somewhere else, which doesn't happen often. Plus he can go chill with Dudley in Florida.

Dudley didn't last long with the Hurricanes I noticed.

Reactions: dinodebino

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

- weather
- not work for MB

Probably more freedom in Florida versus working with Timmins. He was director of amateur scouting, but Timmins was still very hands on regarding the draft. Similar reason why Judd Brackett left Vancouver.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Trying to find out what kind of contract Churla had. Anybody? All I can find is this on cap friendly and not sure if that 4 years is tenure or contract term? If it was term, his contract was due for renewal? This might be a case where the Habs didn't want to extend and have their eyes on someone else. Or are trying to cut costs where Timmins does a lot of work in that area anyways? I'm curious to see if someone is appointed that job here shortly? If so, this smells like the Habs had other plans

Shane Churla - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
When was Churla's contract expected to expire? Might have something to do with that where he might have 1 year left and felt he could be a lame duck? Promote Ducharme is what I say! Something he would be interested in? Not sure.

Habs can use some youth mixed in our management team IMO. Timmins is still heavily involved in the scouting so bring in someone young with connections like Ducharme? If not Ducharme, someone with his kind of resume.

Ducharme is a coach, not a scout. If he gets a promotion, it should be to associate coach or head coach, not scout.

Not sure we have someone on the inside for the job. Either we get someone from outside or Timmins takes full control. Maybe some CHL/ECHL/AHL GM or scout/director of player personnel...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ducharme is a coach, not a scout. If he gets a promotion, it should be to associate coach or head coach, not scout.

Not sure we have someone on the inside for the job. Either we get someone from outside or Timmins takes full control. Maybe some CHL/ECHL/AHL GM or scout/director of player personnel...

Ducharme is a coach but he was also GM/Coach with Drummondville so he's not some rookie in terms of scouting. But yeah, who knows if he would be interested in being part of our scouting team. I think he would do great at that but being a coach in the NHL might make more money?

Timmins probably takes full control... unless this is about the Habs not wanting to extend Churla and have their eyes on someone else? We will see how that develops

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Churla was Director of Amateur Scouting here for the last few years (after Timmins was named Assistant GM). However, Timmins was still running that department. Churla still had more say than before, but TT was still the head honcho.

In Florida, Churla has the same title as he did in Montreal, but he will have more control of that department. It's a lateral move in title, but a step up in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->