OT: Severe Weather Discussion III

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Unfortunately my work is very dependent on living in close enough proximity to rich people, so it won’t really get me a much cheaper place to live. But I’d suck it up and figure something else out though. My fiancé on the other hand, doesn’t wanna move.

I’d love to live near Richmond.

Reactions: FourRings

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I have family that lives in Fuquay Varina, pretty sure that is semi close to Raleigh. I was looking at South Carolina as well but anywhere cheaper and warmer is good to me!
Yes, Fuquay is about a 15 minute drive south of downtown Raleigh. Cary and North Raleigh have the most transplanted northerners. It's a great place to live. Housing has been going up and up, but I'm sure is still a lot cheaper than NY. And property taxes for a 2000 sq foot house is around $3000 in the Raleigh area.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
8th year teaching here...first year is tough enough but toss Covid on top? Jeez rough first year for sure.
Yep I'm in my 17th , pretty surreal to start out now....

NY is like an anchor for teachers...its tough but that pension keeps me here, I'd have moved long ago but I'd be working at Publix for a side hustle at 75 in FLA with the way they pay teachers...

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
8th year teaching here...first year is tough enough but toss Covid on top? Jeez rough first year for sure.

NY is like an anchor for teachers...its tough but that pension keeps me here, I'd have moved long ago but I'd be working at Publix for a side hustle at 75 in FLA with the way they pay teachers...

Started a bit ago as a long term leave and then it transitioned into a full time position. First year has been fun, I have had the support I need, but just enjoying it in general. I luckily have a really good class this year as well.

Reactions: ScaredStreit

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Yes, Fuquay is about a 15 minute drive south of downtown Raleigh. Cary and North Raleigh have the most transplanted northerners. It's a great place to live. Housing has been going up and up, but I'm sure is still a lot cheaper than NY. And property taxes for a 2000 sq foot house is around $3000 in the Raleigh area.

I have been looking at South Carolina only because I worry by the time I am ready to move in 2-3 years North Carolina will be too expensive for me. I do plan on looking into North Carolina extensively to see if it makes sense financially when I am ready to go. I have quite a bit of family that lives down there.

Reactions: danteipp and beach

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

Facts. I went out and gave myself a Gamestop bonus cause the NYC DOE is never giving teachers a bonus :laugh:

Also on topic: I bought an EGO snowblower because I'm over this winter already and am planning my NC golf retirement.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Facts. I went out and gave myself a Gamestop bonus cause the NYC DOE is never giving teachers a bonus :laugh:

Also on topic: I bought an EGO snowblower because I'm over this winter already and am planning my NC golf retirement.

is that the electric/lithium one? Yikes

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Everyone is tempted by Florida in February - Winter would have to be 8 months for me to deal with those imbeciles down there full time.

My wife is from Florida and I spent many years down there, so we are used to it.

That said, every area has more idiots these days.

The key is to find places where the moron population isn't as think and stick to it.

Reactions: Bones45

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
So, what are we looking at in terms of weather tomorrow and Friday?

Anyone have a forecast they feel confident in sharing right now for the LI, NYC, Northern NJ and lower CT areas?

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Electric snowblower... :biglaugh:

iu

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
So, what are we looking at in terms of weather tomorrow and Friday?

Anyone have a forecast they feel confident in sharing right now for the LI, NYC, Northern NJ and lower CT areas?

I think 4-8 is a good bet, looks like we will see a burst tomorrow morning into early afternoon, then some sleet and slop through friday morning then maybe a bit more snow on the back end...

Reactions: danteipp

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just stopped snowing in northeast Queens. Seems to be around 5 inches of powder. Skiers delight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad