OT: Severe Weather Discussion III

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Latest tracks...not ideal for long island. Time to think about some prep. Still not the most likely scenario but gaining in possibility...

al082021.png

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Looks like Henri wants to come to New England.

I cancelled my 3 day weekend in Boston on Thursday morning. Good call as Sunday looks like a washout and we would have been driving back to NYC in the slop on Monday morning.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I cancelled my 3 day weekend in Boston on Thursday morning. Good call as Sunday looks like a washout and we would have been driving back to NYC in the slop on Monday morning.
Yeah, Boston has a better chance to be impacted by this than most of the Island… with that being said, we all need to watch this very closely at this point… seems to be being caught more and more by that feature over the Ohio Valley which we don’t want

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah, Boston has a better chance to be impacted by this than most of the Island… with that being said, we all need to watch this very closely at this point… seems to be being caught more and more by that feature over the Ohio Valley which we don’t want
I had Red Sox tickets for Saturday night. It seems like that one will be played in the rain.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Could be a rare direct hit hurricane for Rhode Island. And the forecast seems to have it stalling after landfall and slowly turning east. This could be massive flooding for much of New England.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Smart. We have had a ton of rain this month including 2+ inches yesterday so they are very concerned about trees coming down inland along with flooding. City will be nasty and I would highly advise against ever trying to ride out one of these things on the Cape and Islands.

This thing is doing a little wobbling so I don't we will see a definitive track until later today.

Good luck to you all down there!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Could be a rare direct hit hurricane for Rhode Island. And the forecast seems to have it stalling after landfall and slowly turning east. This could be massive flooding for much of New England.
30 years and 4 days from the last hurricane to directly hit Rhode Island and New England

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I had Red Sox tickets for Saturday night. It seems like that one will be played in the rain.
Saturday night? I think that’s fine in Boston. It’s really overnight into Sunday that’s the problem I think

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I wonder if they try to move the game time up on Saturday.

If they do I may have to snag a cheap ticket.

Many in this area were either very young when Bob hit or hadn't been born yet so I anticipate a lot of panicky people.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Smart. We have had a ton of rain this month including 2+ inches yesterday so they are very concerned about trees coming down inland along with flooding. City will be nasty and I would highly advise against ever trying to ride out one of these things on the Cape and Islands.

This thing is doing a little wobbling so I don't we will see a definitive track until later today.

Good luck to you all down there!
Thanks. Same to you up there. My brother lives in Hopedale and he was the one who suggested to stay home.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I wonder if they try to move the game time up on Saturday.

If they do I may have to snag a cheap ticket.

Many in this area were either very young when Bob hit or hadn't been born yet so I anticipate a lot of panicky people.
My listing is still up on StubHub. State Street Pavilion Section 9. :naughty:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
My listing is still up on StubHub. State Street Pavilion Section 9. :naughty:
Haha.

I take classes at a local community college so I am on a list to get $9 student tickets anywhere in the park.

The caveat is that they don't send the link to buy them until the day of the game.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Erm… getting uncomfortably close to LI… question for us is does it hook or continue due north before turning NE… if it hooks LI could be in for a direct hit

Not a fan of the trends, but still a lot of room for correction either way

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Erm… getting uncomfortably close to LI… question for us is does it hook or continue due north before turning NE… if it hooks LI could be in for a direct hit

Not a fan of the trends, but still a lot of room for correction either way
Yes today has not been good for trends which keep it coming closer to long island

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I have no wisdom on the topic but if it does become a direct hit, just be safe. If you have the ability to leave, you probably should. You're not protecting your house from a hurricane.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Eastern Nassau is now in the cone, with projected center hitting the Hamptons. Each update keeps drifting west. This is not good.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Screenshot_20210820-155103_Chrome.jpg

Some of the latest model guidance is not ideal for long island. While this isn't hurricane sandy, I'm growing more confident in a direct impact to long island. Winds probably sustained 40 to 60 mph with gusts over 70mph. Very heavy rains and coastal storm surge of 2 to 5 feet especially in Suffolk. Timing is overnight Saturday into Sunday. Make preps now. Bring in anything that can blow around and prep for the possible loss of power, perhaps for days if the forecast verifies.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
View attachment 461851

Some of the latest model guidance is not ideal for long island. While this isn't hurricane sandy, I'm growing more confident in a direct impact to long island. Winds probably sustained 40 to 60 mph with gusts over 70mph. Very heavy rains and coastal storm surge of 2 to 5 feet especially in Suffolk. Timing is overnight Saturday into Sunday. Make preps now. Bring in anything that can blow around and prep for the possible loss of power, perhaps for days if the forecast verifies.
Which model is that, looks like Tropical Tidbits site

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
View attachment 461851

Im supposed to go to Bethany Beach, Delaware from Saturday through Monday. That big red circle over Delaware is concerning!

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Have a 7 PM flight into JFK from Ft Myers tomorrow night, supposed to land in JFK at 10 PM. Really hoping we just miss this thing and our flight goes ahead as scheduled

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Im supposed to go to Bethany Beach, Delaware from Saturday through Monday. That big red circle over Delaware is concerning!

As a local, I haven't heard anything too concerning about this. It is supposed to be scattered thunderstorms this weekend though.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Have a 7 PM flight into JFK from Ft Myers tomorrow night, supposed to land in JFK at 10 PM. Really hoping we just miss this thing and our flight goes ahead as scheduled
Same here supposed to land at MacArthur from Orlando tomorrow night at 10:40. It looks like based on News 12 we will be in just in time but who knows.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Why do I always find myself coming to this thread for bad weather more often than anywhere else? You guys are going to have to add South Carolina on to the watch list next year :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad