OT: Severe Weather Discussion III

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Got smacked by Dorian today in Halifax. No power now for 7 hrs, but otherwise good.

Rest of the city has a bunch of fallen trees on cars and houses, the waterfront is a mess from the storm surge, and one tower crane keeled over.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Just a heads up guys as many people are traveling with the holiday weekend and some are heading back to school. The local weather people are not talking about this yet( at least I have not seen them talking about it ) but Sunday into Monday looks like it could sneak up on us quickly as the weather models from last night and today have all trended colder and snowier. Don't kill the messenger maybe one of the long time weather peeps can chime in but I believe as of right now that Sunday into Monday needs to be watched. Go check the models guys in the know looks legit

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Got smacked by Dorian today in Halifax. No power now for 7 hrs, but otherwise good.

Rest of the city has a bunch of fallen trees on cars and houses, the waterfront is a mess from the storm surge, and one tower crane keeled over.

Jesus Christ. Hopefully no one was hurt
Edit: wow, did not realize this post was 2 months old. Whoops

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
I only go by what TeamKidd and Noreaster say. I’ll be waiting.
NB40 , You can go by what Teamkidd and Noreaster say and believe me I get it as they might actually understand more of the science involved than I do as I am a novice but IMO this storm might have the goods and it all depends on where the Upper Level Low closes off. I would not want to be a local MET as this forecast is a very tough one and I can easily see people being caught off guard if and when this hits. I personally am waiting to see what the short term weather models say today and tomorrow but everything as of now has pointed to --> Everyone had better be watching this and if that is what TeamKidd and Noreaster were to say I guess we would be in agreement. I threw my original post out there as MANY people including kids ( see mine ) are traveling back to school and a storm ( this one ) would be a huge problem ---> enjoy your day all.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Just a heads up guys as many people are traveling with the holiday weekend and some are heading back to school. The local weather people are not talking about this yet( at least I have not seen them talking about it ) but Sunday into Monday looks like it could sneak up on us quickly as the weather models from last night and today have all trended colder and snowier. Don't kill the messenger maybe one of the long time weather peeps can chime in but I believe as of right now that Sunday into Monday needs to be watched. Go check the models guys in the know looks legit

Good. I had to work today and was robbed of a 3 day weekend. Maybe a make up day

Reactions: CBG

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Rain in tristate -- maybe some mixing N and W.

Dont believe the hype!
Bones I am not sure what you based your post off of but you might want to rethink it as New York City just issued Winter Weather Advisories and my best guess is that tonight or as late as the morning those advisories go to Winter Storm Warnings and that would be for NYC. Can this storm still turn out to be a bust ? Can I be wrong ? Sure, especially since the storm has not even redeveloped off our coast yet. As I said previously I am just hoping my kid can get back to school safely without his flight being delayed. I would not want to be a Met and have to forecast this storm it is very tricky with lots of moving pieces. Tomorrow is a busy travel day and with a possible serious storm = not good a good thing so be safe all. ps Hope the Islanders can get back to winning tonight.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Sorry guys been busy with the Holidaze....nice little sleetstorm today...tomorrow mostly rain along the coast and gotta watch the back end that wants to swipe us with some snow on the way out from sunset tomorrow night thru daybreak tuesday....likely just a few inches but there is some upside potential.

this winter is going to drive me nutz. i can already feel it. rain/snow line hell all winter.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Going to get snow up here in rockland county. Mostly sleet and ice right now. Lost power for a bit as well. It’s nasty out there and only going to get worse tomorrow. Schools delayed already but I suspect they will be closed.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Sorry guys been busy with the Holidaze....nice little sleetstorm today...tomorrow mostly rain along the coast and gotta watch the back end that wants to swipe us with some snow on the way out from sunset tomorrow night thru daybreak tuesday....likely just a few inches but there is some upside potential.

this winter is going to drive me nutz. i can already feel it. rain/snow line hell all winter.
Hello Kidd, I don't know if you have seen todays and tonights model runs but I think we are talking about more than back end snows tomorrow night as the storm is developing off the coast tonight and IMO many areas are still in play including the 5 boroughs and other coastal sections, time will tell. As Islesfan said Rockland along with other areas have been pretty hairy most of the day with ice and I expect many areas to go over to snow early tomorrow.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
This is a nightmare storm to forecast. I DONT think there will be widespread 3-6” amounts on the Island... but I do think there’s the risk for localized bands which could produce very heavy snowfall rates for a time

Where those setup though? God knows. Where those bands pivot could see 6+ inches of snow. Meanwhile, other nearby areas could see an inch or two.

Current indications are the best chance for those bands will be towards the city or NJ, but any small change and those could end up anywhere from Suffolk County to Philly.

Best way to approach this is pay attention to the NWS and use common sense and caution when driving through snow. The further west you go, the more likely the afternoon rush hour will be a big mess tomorrow

Reactions: TeamKidd and CBG

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Had my eyes on this storm for a week and If one of the resident weather geeks wants to chime in feel free as I am just going to leave this here and if I am wrong then so be it as it wont be the last time. This storm looks as if It will surprise many and the commute home could be a nightmare .I know that many of you guys only care about your backyard and I think Long Island is in the game and it appears that the 5 boroughs could be in for a shock because the local weather peeps this morning were calling for 1- 3 inches for NYC. Just about every single weather model over night and this morning has shifted East and are calling for for 4 - 8 inches for NYC. I think that is a very real possibility we just have to see where the heaviest bands of snow actually set up. I think Conn needs to pay attention as well. For Noreaster96 or Team kidd or anyone else = when the Upper Level Low meets the surface low at the benchmark 70 - 40 that is a good recipe for a storm and in this case snow lovers. Be safe all

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
it's a very complex storm - this is the beginning of the 3rd phase...there is a wide variety of conditions expected across the area, from rain in suffolk to heavy snow in the hudson valley and jersey and a kaleidoscope inbetween. NorEaster is 100% right. predictions are essentially useless as we are looking at a very mercurial band of snow that is starting to set up from Nassau up through NYC and into central and northern jersey. where it sets up, and when changeovers happen (for coastal areas) will determine the eventual snowfall totals. watch the forecasts radars and windows for best idea for your area, because everywhere will be different. could be raining in suffolk, light snow in southern nassau and heavy snow in the city. or that could shift 20 miles east or west. best guess for LI accumulations is after sunset...climatologically early for daytime snow accumulations on LI

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Is it just happenstance or has NYC been right at the fringe of the rain/snow line for many of these recent storms and caught a glancing blow or nothing at all instead of significant snowfall?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Is it just happenstance or has NYC been right at the fringe of the rain/snow line for many of these recent storms and caught a glancing blow or nothing at all instead of significant snowfall?

Feels like because of the Ocean next to us, were always on the rain/snow line.

Damn temperature lag ruining all our fun snowdays.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
IMO happenstance all determined by the circumstances each storm is different

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
With everything else going on in the world I just would like to add that it was snowing for a few minutes today at about 5pm on Long Island . OYE!!

Stay safe and bundle up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->