OT: Severe Weather Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I def had 6 or so inches on my deck when I woke up at 3 am. Problem was it was raining and got compacted down a good bit.

south shore by me got skunked. got a slushy inch, then it sleeted heavily from 10pm on.

so how does 3 inches turn into 7 inches? its all on how it's measured. they take hourly measurements and wipe the board clean each hour to measure more. In real life all that falls, especially when wet snow, compacts the snow underneath...turning 7 inches in to 3 inches...not ideal.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
just saw this thread-------we have slight chance of some more snow Friday / Sat but another chance on Monday,,just saying

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
just saw this thread-------we have slight chance of some more snow Friday / Sat but another chance on Monday,,just saying

Fake news.

Tristate area is well into the upper 40s.

Attachments

• 20190306_180910.jpg
    20190306_180910.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 4

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Saturday looks to be South of us,,still time not a big event either way but Baltimore could see an inch or few----Sunday could be something ---but looking at the long range models = Spring is not here just yet we are not out of the woods as there is something around the 15th and something else around the 21st.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Fake news.

Tristate area is well into the upper 40s.
Bones and anyone else -- I am new to this thread so maybe TeamKid or someone else stated this already but I can tell you that those weather apps and even many weather sites are a " nice " thing but they usually follow 1 weather model religiously ( sometimes they will blend 2 models together ) and they will state what the models are saying as gospel and if you have followed the apps closely especially this winter they have not done so well. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: bigtim1988

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Bones and anyone else -- I am new to this thread so maybe TeamKid or someone else stated this already but I can tell you that those weather apps and even many weather sites are a " nice " thing but they usually follow 1 weather model religiously ( sometimes they will blend 2 models together ) and they will state what the models are saying as gospel and if you have followed the apps closely especially this winter they have not done so well. Just my 2 cents

when tracking incoming storms, most all mets will use multiple models and make their best guess. However, when dealing with temps, its far easier to know the air masses and whether or not you'll have snow/rain or mix.

Just my .04..

Reactions: CBG

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
south shore by me got skunked. got a slushy inch, then it sleeted heavily from 10pm on.

so how does 3 inches turn into 7 inches? its all on how it's measured. they take hourly measurements and wipe the board clean each hour to measure more. In real life all that falls, especially when wet snow, compacts the snow underneath...turning 7 inches in to 3 inches...not ideal.

I wish i could turn 3 inches into 7....

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
when tracking incoming storms, most all mets will use multiple models and make their best guess. However, when dealing with temps, its far easier to know the air masses and whether or not you'll have snow/rain or mix.

Just my .04..
Bones-I don't know about most METS----if you watch any of the local TV peeps you can see which model they are using for their forecast or their snowfall maps. While I agree its best to look at many models, few IF ANY of the weather peeps that we watch on TV know anything about or take the science involved into consideration. Some of these people we watch were doing traffic or majored in communications ( see Mike Woods ) and they are now doing weather. On the day of this last storm Vennessa Murdocks morning forecast on CH2 drove me insane not because she was right or wrong about predictions but because during her telecast the model that she was using to illustrate what would happen during the storm ---->well it was showing the COMPLETE opposite of what her snow map showed, go take a look if you can find it.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

The measurements really are bad these days anyway. It’s hard to trust many of the official stations anymore. JFK got busted for measuring on the roof several winters ago. Since then their measurements in all snow events have much more closely matched Newark and LaGuardia. Even worse it came out that they had been measuring in bad spots at JFK for like 30 years. This didn’t surprise me as if you go back even into the 1980s and look at some of the bigger snow events where most of the area stayed all snow or changed over around the same time JFK numbers were way lower than LGA or EWR or New York City. Some NWS offices have revoked snow measurements from airports in recent years and given a local observer within a mile of the airport the official label. BOS, DEN, PHL, AVP are 4 I know of where this has happened. I do know the New York City NWS strongly considered going to a person in Woodmere for a short time as well recently

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The measurements really are bad these days anyway. It’s hard to trust many of the official stations anymore. JFK got busted for measuring on the roof several winters ago. Since then their measurements in all snow events have much more closely matched Newark and LaGuardia. Even worse it came out that they had been measuring in bad spots at JFK for like 30 years. This didn’t surprise me as if you go back even into the 1980s and look at some of the bigger snow events where most of the area stayed all snow or changed over around the same time JFK numbers were way lower than LGA or EWR or New York City. Some NWS offices have revoked snow measurements from airports in recent years and given a local observer within a mile of the airport the official label. BOS, DEN, PHL, AVP are 4 I know of where this has happened. I do know the New York City NWS strongly considered going to a person in Woodmere for a short time as well recently

Is there some benefit the airports get from exaggerating snowfall amounts?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Maybe to use as an additional excuse for the potential delays?

I'm surprised LIRR stations have not adopted that tactic.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Being able to stay operational during bad weather or to use bad weather as an excuse for poor service, etc. Maybe something tied to funding?

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Sunday / Monday could be a sneaky lil event for some , just sayin

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Sunday / Monday could be a sneaky lil event for some , just sayin
If you’re trying to get yourself into the inner circle of Islander HF Board Meteorologists, you need to use much bigger words, post some pictures -in color - that look vaguely like waves and have numbers strewn about and tell people to be safe out there.

Basically, your game needs upping. Just sayin.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
My wife thinks I'm a weirdo for coming here when a storm is coming rather than listening to Lonnie---he is always getting it right---30% of the time.

Thank you boys (or girls or gender neutral) for this. This thread has been accurate for years

Reactions: TeamKidd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad