OT: Severe Weather Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Says who? Who are the some that will get hit by this "event?" Also, why do you keep saying, "just sayin'," as if you have some secret model that no one knows about and this somehow makes you the top forecaster? Like crasherino said, up your game.
GB -I would have replied sooner but I just saw this post of yours.I don't have a magic 8 ball or a secret model as I said the the other day the friday / saturday ( today tomorrow ) event was minor and is well south of most of us but as far as ---edit here my mistake this should have read Saturday nite into Sunday it's NOT SEVERE WEATHER but it is weather related and it has been on the long range models for a while,,,and if this makes you feel better enjoy this lovely picture as you can see it would not take much for this to effect a few more people in our area hope it helps clear things up
20190308_120442.jpg

Last edited:

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Is it going to be a Huge or Severe Weather event tonight into Sunday ? No not at all but it appears it will be enough for a Winter Weather Advisory to be issued by the NWS in many areas. So if you plan on being out out and about late tonight just be aware.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service New York NY
429 AM EST Sat Mar 9 2019

CTZ009-NJZ002-NYZ069-092100-
/O.NEW.KOKX.WW.Y.0011.190310T0800Z-190310T1300Z/
Southern Fairfield-Western Passaic-Rockland-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 9 AM EDT
SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total sleet and snow
accumulations of up to one inch and ice accumulations of a light
glaze expected.

* WHERE...In New Jersey, Western Passaic County. In Connecticut,
Southern Fairfield County. In New York, Rockland County.

* WHEN...From 4 AM to 9 AM EDT Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow, sleet or
freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Expect slippery
roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving.

Check local Department of Transportation information services for
the latest road conditions.

/O.NEW.KOKX.WW.Y.0011.190310T0800Z-190310T1600Z/
Northern Fairfield-Southern New Haven-Southern Middlesex-
Southern New London-Orange-Putnam-Northern Westchester-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO NOON EDT
SUNDAY...

accumulations of up to one inch and ice accumulations of up to
one tenth of an inch expected.

* WHERE...Portions of southern Connecticut and southeast New
York.

* WHEN...From 4 AM to noon EDT Sunday.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Is it going to be a Huge or Severe Weather event tonight into Sunday ? No not at all but it appears it will be enough for a Winter Weather Advisory to be issued by the NWS in many areas. So if you plan on being out out and about late tonight just be aware.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service New York NY

CTZ009-NJZ002-NYZ069-092100-
/O.NEW.KOKX.WW.Y.0011.190310T0800Z-190310T1300Z/
Southern Fairfield-Western Passaic-Rockland-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 9 AM EDT
SUNDAY...

accumulations of up to one inch and ice accumulations of a light
glaze expected.

* WHERE...In New Jersey, Western Passaic County. In Connecticut,
Southern Fairfield County. In New York, Rockland County.

* WHEN...From 4 AM to 9 AM EDT Sunday.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow, sleet or
freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Expect slippery
roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving.

Check local Department of Transportation information services for
the latest road conditions.

/O.NEW.KOKX.WW.Y.0011.190310T0800Z-190310T1600Z/
Northern Fairfield-Southern New Haven-Southern Middlesex-
Southern New London-Orange-Putnam-Northern Westchester-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO NOON EDT
SUNDAY...

accumulations of up to one inch and ice accumulations of up to
one tenth of an inch expected.

* WHERE...Portions of southern Connecticut and southeast New
York.

* WHEN...From 4 AM to noon EDT Sunday.

I tend to focus on the Island unless asked otherwise, but yeah north of the city could be slick travel for a bit. LI? Maybe a few snowflakes and sleet pellets overnight before rain

Reactions: CBG

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
As Hunter Mountain would say.. "we've received a good dusting of snow overnight......"

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
I tend to focus on the Island unless asked otherwise, but yeah north of the city could be slick travel for a bit. LI? Maybe a few snowflakes and sleet pellets overnight before rain
96, I hear you and IMO everyone wants to usually know " what about by my area " or they are concerned with their own neck of the woods or how it effects them. When I first posted on here I did not know if TeamKidd or any others post about all weather events on this thread or only as the title states just "SEVERE" events as I did not read back too many pages. In other news I hope our guys beat the Flyers and get 2 points and don't forget to push the clocks ahead.

Reactions: Noreaster96

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
96, I hear you and IMO everyone wants to usually know " what about by my area " or they are concerned with their own neck of the woods or how it effects them. When I first posted on here I did not know if TeamKidd or any others post about all weather events on this thread or only as the title states just "SEVERE" events as I did not read back too many pages. In other news I hope our guys beat the Flyers and get 2 points and don't forget to push the clocks ahead.

You forgot the "just sayin."

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
No, no worries! Everyone is welcome to post here. Weather enthusiasts and meteorologists alike! If you ever have any questions feel free to ask too!

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
No, no worries! Everyone is welcome to post here. Weather enthusiasts and meteorologists alike! If you ever have any questions feel free to ask too!
96 , there are always questions and yep I have many,,,,,Thanks

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I'm sitting this one out. Dinner tonight on the beach in Cancun. I trust y'all will stay safe and I'll get back to the room and see two points added to the standings.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Hey weather geeks,,,,,has anyone looked at the latest weather models ? As of right now the Euro is actually showing a few inches of yes snow on Sunday and no you can not make this up. Lets see how it plays out as this is still 5 days away and could easily change . In other news = its really nice out right now.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Hey weather geeks,,,,,has anyone looked at the latest weather models ? As of right now the Euro is actually showing a few inches of yes snow on Sunday and no you can not make this up. Lets see how it plays out as this is still 5 days away and could easily change . In other news = its really nice out right now.
Snow on St Patrick’s Day. This is becoming far too common.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
I can't wait for this winter to be over = 5 days ago the models showed a clipper for tonight but that has since disappeared. Fast forward and once again a few long range models are showing 2 more "possible" shots of snow and one of them is 5 days away around the 22nd ( give or take a day ) and another one on --> get this , April 1st. Are these models correct and will they still show this days from now ? Could be but probably not as that has been the story line the entire winter and as much as I luv snow ,I am ready for Spring and I am so done with this winter. Lets see how this plays out. Happy St Patricks Day All.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
I think Friday might be put under the heading of severe weather as the storm track is yet to be determined but it could get stupid windy and tides could be an issue and don't rule out snow just yet especially inland and on the back end , as usual a lot depends on the track . Thoughts weather geeks ?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I think Friday might be put under the heading of severe weather as the storm track is yet to be determined but it could get stupid windy and tides could be an issue and don't rule out snow just yet especially inland and on the back end , as usual a lot depends on the track . Thoughts weather geeks ?

This thread coming to the top is no good.

Unless we are getting snow, or some sort of Apocolyptic Warm Weather event, this thread needs to die until late November.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
This thread coming to the top is no good.

Unless we are getting snow, or some sort of Apocolyptic Warm Weather event, this thread needs to die until late November.
First off its a slow day and I had some time so I took a look at some weather models . So I guess this could depend on someones definition of " apocalyptic " or maybe if someone didn't like or disagreed with a post they could pass over it much like I do when I see someone post about how good Bailey is = those posts I pass over. So in this case would "apocalyptic" = chances of flooding and people losing power or "APOCOLYPTIC" as in cats mating with dogs and the Stay puff Marshmallow Man making an appearance ?

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
No snow with the storm itself. Maybe a snow shower or two as another system drops in right behind it, but much better chance over upstate NY than on the Island.

Will be windier behind the storm late Friday/Friday night than with the storm itself

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
No snow with the storm itself. Maybe a snow shower or two as another system drops in right behind it, but much better chance over upstate NY than on the Island.

Will be windier behind the storm late Friday/Friday night than with the storm itself
96 ---> Super moon on the 21st so tides and wind "could " be an issue on the Island and coastal areas. As for me I'm in Rockland so tides don't effect me here but no matter where you live a soaked ground and high winds + trees possibly being uprooted could = loss of power. That could be an issue along with possible back end snows but "as of right now " that snow appears well inland BUT a deepening LOW dropping 30 millibars or so in a 24 hour timeframe ? There is still time for this to all change as the track is undetermined and this event is still days away.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
96 ---> Super moon on the 21st so tides and wind "could " be an issue on the Island and coastal areas. As for me I'm in Rockland so tides don't effect me here but no matter where you live a soaked ground and high winds + trees possibly being uprooted could = loss of power. That could be an issue along with possible back end snows but "as of right now " that snow appears well inland BUT a deepening LOW dropping 30 millibars or so in a 24 hour timeframe ? There is still time for this to all change as the track is undetermined and this event is still days away.
Coastal flooding and heavy rain will be the biggest threats from this storm, IMHO.

Also, I don’t see a model that deepens it that quickly. Unless you’re looking at the CMC? I can’t say for sure, but from the looks of it it wants to make it a warm-core low and really strengthen it. Personally, I don’t buy that for a second and none of the other models seem to either

The other problem is that the pressure gradient isn’t particularly strong. The low doesn’t really rapidly deepen until its north of our latitude and the high northwest of the low isn’t that strong either, so the gradient isn’t that big until the storm is well northeast of us. To this end, it will get windy behind the storm, and that could certainly cause some issues, particularly if, as you mentioned, there’s heavy rain beforehand, which is a possibility, but outside of convection or heavy rain dragging some stronger gusts to the surface (definitely possible, but localized), I’m thinking it’s not terriblly windy during the storm itself

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Coastal flooding and heavy rain will be the biggest threats from this storm, IMHO.

Also, I don’t see a model that deepens it that quickly. Unless you’re looking at the CMC? I can’t say for sure, but from the looks of it it wants to make it a warm-core low and really strengthen it. Personally, I don’t buy that for a second and none of the other models seem to either

The other problem is that the pressure gradient isn’t particularly strong. The low doesn’t really rapidly deepen until its north of our latitude and the high northwest of the low isn’t that strong either, so the gradient isn’t that big until the storm is well northeast of us. To this end, it will get windy behind the storm, and that could certainly cause some issues, particularly if, as you mentioned, there’s heavy rain beforehand, which is a possibility, but outside of convection or heavy rain dragging some stronger gusts to the surface (definitely possible, but localized), I’m thinking it’s not terribly windy during the storm itself

yeah i dont see much here...

just my 2 cents- along the lines of what Bones said, i think this thread should be kept for truly severe weather events (blizzards, hurricanes, major Nor'Easters) to let people know something with a real significant impact is coming. I'm always happy to talk shop and discuss daily weather, but maybe another OT thread General Weather Discussion could be started. I know a lot of people on here rely on this thread to alert them of potential extreme weather and a prolonged general weather discussion could detract from that. just my .02....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad