Seth Jones and his future (Sportsnet reports he intends to test free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
once again this is hockeybuzz, aka eklund's site, backing up the guy who pays their bills. Take this with another grain of salt.

but if im going to play along. any deal to Colorado has to include a good defenseman prospect coming back. Not sure if Byram is still highly regarded but he's a possibility

[I'm here also playing along with the Eklund rumor, and making sure to remind everyone that it is Eklund]

Byram is still highly regarded, yes.

Jones is a long term fit with the Avs so I'm not taking less from them. A stud young D like Byram or Girard - for me Toews doesn't have enough term and isn't that good anyways - or a package with Newhook+ one of the younger RHD (Barron, Timmins, Helleson). They have an embarrassment of riches and we should demand our slice.

People are going to say "you're going to risk getting even less" if you take a hard line, and that's true, but I'm also not going to care if I miss on Devon Toews and have to accept a rental offer like a Chicago 1st + strong prospect. I might prefer a rental deal like that. If Colorado doesn't want to pay for a huge upgrade like this, then screw them. Let them flounder in the playoffs again while we rent Jones somewhere else.

Take note on the differences between the Avs D -

Byram - on his ELC with 6 years of team control left.
Girard - on a sweetheart $5m deal with 6 years left.
Toews - on a sweetheart deal with only three years left, then he'll be UFA.

Two of these work for a rebuilding squad, one doesn't.

[end playing around with the Eklund rumor]

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

pendulum-dontknow.gif

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
They're a package deal. If she's commenting on his free agency, she's appropriate to be discussed.

Yeah, in the words of her tweet and subsequent follow up tweets. Not about if we’re going to miss her or if she’s hot or not. Talking about her involvement in the situation is fine.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Huh? Looks like same tweet only didn't say False just explained it. I think you might be reaching a bit here. :dunno:

I think I took it more like BoomCannon did.
She was saying "For those confused by my "false" comment, it pertains to the highlighted section. That's not how my family operates. No demands. (Stay humble. Stay classy. Be appreciative). Want to judge me as a mom? Have at it, it comes with the territory. No pansies here." in reference to Jones only extending for Colorado.

I took it to be that Jones had not made any demands to the CBJ (to be traded) nor had he said the only team he would do a sign and trade for was Colorado.
At least in my mind it does mean he potentially does have Colorado on his short list of places he would be interested in, but he's not forcing the CBJ to trade him only there.

Again I totally get it's vague and can be viewed multiple ways.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
She was saying "For those confused by my "false" comment, it pertains to the highlighted section. That's not how my family operates. No demands. (Stay humble. Stay classy. Be appreciative). Want to judge me as a mom? Have at it, it comes with the territory. No pansies here." in reference to Jones only extending for Colorado.

I took it to be that Jones had not made any demands to the CBJ (to be traded) nor had he said the only team he would do a sign and trade for was Colorado.
At least in my mind it does mean he potentially does have Colorado on his short list of places he would be interested in, but he's not forcing the CBJ to trade him only there.

How I view it as well

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

That very well may be. There's a difference in demanding to be traded and telling the team you intend to test free agency. In his mind Columbus could be his first choice next year unless someone blows him out of the water with an offer.

Now telling your team you intend to test free agency will a lot of times lead them to listen to offers for you.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So with that said, I imagine we'll be getting some more firsts? And with it happening around the draft I would imagine it's going to be (mostly) picks for this draft and not the 22/23 draft. Although it never hurts to pick up some future mid round picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad