Seth Jones and his future (Sportsnet reports he intends to test free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I still prefer to keep Seth Jones to any trades or prospects. This will be a sad day to see our future Captain leave.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I still prefer to keep Seth Jones to any trades or prospects. This will be a sad day to see our future Captain leave.

Apparently being a captain doesn’t mean a damn thing to him. This could be his team but it’s still not good enough.

Respect the guy. Helluva talent. But at this point I’ll only be sad if we don’t trade him.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Could be an agreement already in place but holding off until after explanation draft?

That could make sense. Most teams willing to add Jones would likely be in win-now mode which likely would be a team with a lot of pieces.

I guess in my mind I don't know how many more 1st round picks in this years draft I want. A very questionable draft (just meaning the lack of scouting) I would rather have picks in future years even if we don't know the position. Now if it's us giving up a 20 something pick this year for a top 10 pick (swapping) and then picks in 2022 then I'm interested.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Apparently being a captain doesn’t mean a damn thing to him. This could be his team but it’s still not good enough.

Respect the guy. Helluva talent. But at this point I’ll only be sad if we don’t trade him.

To be honest there is a big difference in being a captain on some other teams vs Columbus. That's not shaming the franchise but if you look at our captains it seems like we've had as many captains quit (request trades) than lead us to the playoffs. Both Nash and Foote asked out. Foligno was traded (he didn't request it). Ode was the original, Whitney wore it for a year (and we let him walk), Richardson had it for a bit and Foligno.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That could make sense. Most teams willing to add Jones would likely be in win-now mode which likely would be a team with a lot of pieces.

I guess in my mind I don't know how many more 1st round picks in this years draft I want. A very questionable draft (just meaning the lack of scouting) I would rather have picks in future years even if we don't know the position. Now if it's us giving up a 20 something pick this year for a top 10 pick (swapping) and then picks in 2022 then I'm interested.

The scouting issue is zero sum and given our scouts ability to spot the hidden gem I'd think we have an advantage this year.

Now if they think it's a weak draft, like 2013, then yes we shouldn't be adding to our stockpile.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
To be honest there is a big difference in being a captain on some other teams vs Columbus. That's not shaming the franchise but if you look at our captains it seems like we've had as many captains quit (request trades) than lead us to the playoffs. Both Nash and Foote asked out. Foligno was traded (he didn't request it). Ode was the original, Whitney wore it for a year (and we let him walk), Richardson had it for a bit and Foligno.
I either don't understand this take or don't agree with it. Not sure which.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Hopefully Jarmo retains on Jones, I doubt we'll be pushing the cap this upcoming season.
if anything I think you would see Jarmo take back a bad contract to make the deal even bigger. If we truly go rebuild, we aren't going to be in cap trouble for the next two years. He could swallow a bad 2 year deal and get even better rewards. That's how you help a team like the Avs, Stars, Kings, etc. (said to be focal points). We could retain but that only helps for 1 year. Taking back bad term helps if a team things they can truly re-sign Jones. Then the deal is much better for us long term.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I either don't understand this take or don't agree with it. Not sure which.

I was replying to previous poster who commented on Jones not wanting to be the captain.

I pointed out being the captain of the CBJ isn't something to necessarily be proud of. We've had 6 captains and 2 of them requested trades to get out (Nash and Foote). Luke Richardson, Odelein and Foligno were traded while they were the captain (with only Foligno lasting more than 2 seasons, and I guess technically Luke stepped down as Captain before he was traded). Whitney was thrown under the bus by management as not being gritty enough on the road and not resigned.

Again my point is being captain of the CBJ isn't historically something to covet. Ode last 2 seasons, Whitney 1 season, Richardson 2 seasons, Foote 2-3 seasons (again he took over when Luke stepped down), Nash for 4 and Foligno for 6.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I was replying to previous poster who commented on Jones not wanting to be the captain.

I pointed out being the captain of the CBJ isn't something to necessarily be proud of. We've had 6 captains and 2 of them requested trades to get out (Nash and Foote). Luke Richardson, Odelein and Foligno were traded while they were the captain (with only Foligno lasting more than 2 seasons, and I guess technically Luke stepped down as Captain before he was traded). Whitney was thrown under the bus by management as not being gritty enough on the road and not resigned.

Again my point is being captain of the CBJ isn't historically something to covet. Ode last 2 seasons, Whitney 1 season, Richardson 2 seasons, Foote 2-3 seasons (again he took over when Luke stepped down), Nash for 4 and Foligno for 6.

If a player thinks being captain of the Jackets isn't something to be proud of, then that player should probably f*** right off and find a different team.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If a player thinks being captain of the Jackets isn't something to be proud of, then that player should probably f*** right off and find a different team.

Lot of our best players have opted to find other teams without being offered the "C", so I guess it adds to the list :)

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Lot of our best players have opted to find other teams without being offered the "C", so I guess it adds to the list :)

I just don't understand how you're looking at tenure of previous captains and drawing the conclusion you're drawing.

If you're just saying "CBJ is a tire fire, who would want to be captain here" then fine.

Nash + Foligno = 10 years, and I would wager plenty of teams' last 2 captains lasted less than 10 years in total - and that doesn't mean anything.

Edit: looked it up:
2.9 - The average tenure of current NHL captains.

By the Numbers: NHL Captains

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Very current...as of 2014. I'm too lazy to see if it has changed much and I guess I really don't care. Having the captaincy dangled in front of you if you re-sign seems very far down the list of why a guy would stay. Especially if its for a team like the Jackets who, imo, are in the midst of being a tire fire.
Many other factors are in play when a guy decides to walk and probably for less money than he could get with his current team.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Very current...as of 2014. I'm too lazy to see if it has changed much and I guess I really don't care. Having the captaincy dangled in front of you if you re-sign seems very far down the list of why a guy would stay. Especially if its for a team like the Jackets who, imo, are in the midst of being a tire fire.
Many other factors are in play when a guy decides to walk and probably for less money than he could get with his current team.

Sure, I can follow your logic here. If you already don't want to stay, being captain probably isn't that appealing. Not sure how Lyle Odelein et al has anything to do with Jones' decision.

This is all off of Portzline's guessing that they'd "dangle" captaincy I assume?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The inferiority complex here, come on now.

Being named the captain of the jackets is an honor. There’s only 31 available captaincies in the NHL. Does our captaincy hold more weight than a Montreal, Rangers, Toronto? No. But are we on the same tier as teams like Nashville, vegas, San Jose, etc? Yes. The captaincy of an O6 franchise holds the most weight, but other than that, it’s not really that big of a deal anywhere.

Captaincy in general doesn’t mean that much. I mean, Pacioretty was literally the captain of montreal and wanted out. Tavares left NYI. As did Alfredsson and Karlsson in Ottawa. Captaincy is a nice cherry on top but it’s not going to sway many people into staying/going to a place.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Scoop: It’s not often that a Norris Trophy-vote-earning defenseman makes it to market at age 26, but the Blue Jackets haven’t run from the fact that Jones has informed the team he won’t be re-signing long-term there. He won’t be playing out his contract in Columbus, unlike Artemi Panarin or Sergei Bobrovsky. Jones holds the cards, with both his 10-team no-trade clause and his ability to signal his (dis)interest in an extension, but there have quietly been legitimate concerns voiced from multiple teams behind the scenes about his two consecutive seasons of declining production. That, plus the need to pay Jones, makes Eichel the clear No. 1 trade target.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Seth Jones

Make no mistake, teams are already calling the Blue Jackets.
“The level of interest is off the charts,’’ one league source said this week.
Again, no surprise.
It’s not every day a 26-year-old, stud right-handed defenceman finds himself on the trade market.
The question remains whether Jones moves as a one-year rental or whether it’s part of a trade where he signs an extension with his new team to garner Columbus the bigger return.
I think the Jones camp, led by Pat Brisson, can live with either scenario depending on which teams are involved. Not every trade suitor will make the shortlist in terms of potentially signing an extension.
The Flyers, as I suggested might be the case back in May, are interested in Jones, sources confirmed this week.
I mean, it’s a perfect fit in so many ways. Not just because of the hole on the right side of Philly’s blue line but because the Flyers have some young players in their 20s they can entice the Jackets with. Not every Jones trade suitor can say that.
But, as one might imagine, there’s indeed a long list of teams that want to get I on this.
One thing I wonder about: what if nothing lines up between the Jackets and a team that Jones wants to extend with now. Would Columbus just wait then and dangle him at next season’s trade deadline instead? As one rival front office source suggested to me this week, his rental value might be higher at the deadline when teams often overpay when they think they can win.
Given that Jones has made it clear he’s not signing in Columbus, the best case scenario for the Jackets is that he’s dealt this offseason and signs a long-term deal with his new team, helping Columbus get the biggest return possible.
LeBrun: Which defencemen could change addresses, or stay put, this upcoming offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA